Magazines for Thread?

HomekeepingGran

I am going to be on the lookout for Magic Crochet and Decorative Crochet mags. Thank you, everyone, for the recommendations! And thank you, Debbi, for the blog with all the doily patterns linked. I put that into my favorites and will look over it the next few days. Celt's Vintage Crochet is one I already knew about and like to use.

If you had told me years ago that I would be hooked on thread crochet I would have told you, "Nah, I seriously doubt it." — Who knew it would be so fun? :manyheart

Did you have any problem switching from yarn to thread? I have long hands that have trouble gripping the skinny hooks and thread. Have tried looping twice instead of once around my left baby finger -- and that helps a little. Have tried putting grips on skinny hooks and find them cumbersome. Some have said that beginning crocheters should start with thread instead of yarn! Maybe I just need persistence. What do you think? I've even saved a stack of Magic Crochet magazines that I bought for next to nothing about ten years ago, hoping I could get into doily making, but so far no success. I can use No. 10 thread with great difficulty and don't much like the look of double strands of No. 10. I really suffer from doily envy!

Did you have any problem switching from yarn to thread? I have long hands that have trouble gripping the skinny hooks and thread. Have tried looping twice instead of once around my left baby finger -- and that helps a little. Have tried putting grips on skinny hooks and find them cumbersome. Some have said that beginning crocheters should start with thread instead of yarn! Maybe I just need persistence. What do you think? I've even saved a stack of Magic Crochet magazines that I bought for next to nothing about ten years ago, hoping I could get into doily making, but so far no success. I can use No. 10 thread with great difficulty and don't much like the look of double strands of No. 10. I really suffer from doily envy!

Have you tried some of the bigger handled thread hooks that are on the market? I have big hands and the small thread hooks were useless. I couldn't work with the standard thread hooks and had given up on crocheting with thread, then I got some of the Bates Bamboo sterilite hooks and I am working with the size 10 thread hooks on doll's clothes. There are other hook brands that have moved into the thread hooks as well so you may want to try to see if there is a brand that works for you. They are the same size 0, 00, 7, etc, they just have different handles and I find them much easier to use.

I have a bunch of Barbie thread patterns that I can't wait to try. I bought them hoping I could adapt them, now I can actually use them without having to change them!!!:cheer:cheer

Have you tried some of the bigger handled thread hooks that are on the market? I have big hands and the small thread hooks were useless. I couldn't work with the standard thread hooks and had given up on crocheting with thread, then I got some of the Bates Bamboo sterilite hooks and I am working with the size 10 thread hooks on doll's clothes. There are other hook brands that have moved into the thread hooks as well so you may want to try to see if there is a brand that works for you. They are the same size 0, 00, 7, etc, they just have different handles and I find them much easier to use.

I have a bunch of Barbie thread patterns that I can't wait to try. I bought them hoping I could adapt them, now I can actually use them without having to change them!!!:cheer:cheer

Thanks much! I'll try those Bates hooks next time I decide to take a whack at thread. Bates are my hooks of preference anyway.

• 1 month later...

I know there used to be several magazines devoted to thread crochet on the market — back in the days before I was interested in thread, of course, so I didn't buy them. Sigh. Nowadays I can only find other types of mags locally and I honestly don't know what to shop for online. Can any of you tell me what publications to look for? I'm finding myself interested in large doilies/table toppers the most. Maybe a small tablecloth? Charts would be nice although not mandatory.

The internet is a good source for Thread patterns.  I think it is better because you can pick out the patterns you want, so far I have collected 4 notebooks full of patterns I wanna try...  Most sites have a pattern section, but some even have a FREE pattern section. Check out Craftsy.com or Ravelry.com pattern sections.

I think Baily4 has the right idea: try hooks with the larger handle and see if that helps some.  Another thing to do is to gradually work your way down through yarn sized and then into thread sizes.  Worsted, DK, Sport/Baby, Fingering, then lace yarns and threads.  And don't forget size 5 thread which is bigger than #10.  It still has the look of thread but is enough larger to be easier to manage.  And if you do #5 you might try something besides a doily if you don't like the look.  (Maybe a string bag or something similar?)  That way your hands and mind can adjust to the size but you can get a product which hopefully works for you.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

I know there used to be several magazines devoted to thread crochet on the market — back in the days before I was interested in thread, of course, so I didn't buy them. Sigh. Nowadays I can only find other types of mags locally and I honestly don't know what to shop for online. Can any of you tell me what publications to look for? I'm finding myself interested in large doilies/table toppers the most. Maybe a small tablecloth? Charts would be nice although not mandatory.

If you can work from charts, you may find the Duplet Magazines (Russian Language) a great source of "inspiration"  this a cover of beginner book,  lots of motifs.   Other versions of the magazine, have all kinds of garments, table linen and other ideas

Archived