lucky to be able to "follow up" with students

I've been fortunate in that the majority of the ladies I've taught stay in good contact with me because we work in the same building. I've been able to see their skill improve and their confidence grow with each project. I started with a new student 3 weeks ago. We had a 1 hour lesson by meeting for lunch. She wasn't comfortable at all, and admitted the second week that she gave up practicing because although I had also given her written instructions and internet sites, she felt more comfortable when I was beside her. Lesson two, she did very well. She practiced for a few days and showed me her work and it was fine. Lesson 3, she began a scarf in dc. She chose an autumn colors variagated yarn and had finished 2 rows after some preliminary practice during our lunch time together. The next day, she was excited to show me that she had, on the train home and the train in the next morning, worked up to about 7 inches on the scarf. Her margins were perfect and her stitches were consistent. I was so proud of her, seeing how proud she was of herself -- I got goosebumps! I think that is the best part of sharing the craft with others...seeing how they go from knowing nothing about it at all, to doing, doing well, and finding their own comfort and confidence. Her next project, she advises me, is a hat to match the scarf as soon as it is done! :yes In a perfect world, I'd have 2 hours for each first class, but since we're doing this during the work day, lunch is it--and it does seem to work after 2 or 3 lessons.

I've been fortunate in that the majority of the ladies I've taught stay in good contact with me because we work in the same building. I've been able to see their skill improve and their confidence grow with each project. I started with a new student 3 weeks ago. We had a 1 hour lesson by meeting for lunch. She wasn't comfortable at all, and admitted the second week that she gave up practicing because although I had also given her written instructions and internet sites, she felt more comfortable when I was beside her. Lesson two, she did very well. She practiced for a few days and showed me her work and it was fine. Lesson 3, she began a scarf in dc. She chose an autumn colors variagated yarn and had finished 2 rows after some preliminary practice during our lunch time together. The next day, she was excited to show me that she had, on the train home and the train in the next morning, worked up to about 7 inches on the scarf. Her margins were perfect and her stitches were consistent. I was so proud of her, seeing how proud she was of herself -- I got goosebumps! I think that is the best part of sharing the craft with others...seeing how they go from knowing nothing about it at all, to doing, doing well, and finding their own comfort and confidence. Her next project, she advises me, is a hat to match the scarf as soon as it is done! :yes In a perfect world, I'd have 2 hours for each first class, but since we're doing this during the work day, lunch is it--and it does seem to work after 2 or 3 lessons.

..your story is wonderful:crocheting...when teaching crochet seeing the look on students face when they start a project is wonderful..and I always think of my Great Grandma who taught me (I still have her hooks) and said dont forget to teach someone else so carries on!...my one regret is I forgot how to do "tatting" that she taught me...

Archived