"Modular Crochet" Book - Thoughts?

bgottsab

I am a new member - been crocheting only for a couple of months - am teaching myself from books and from making lots of mistakes.

I have run across references to a book published in the 1970's by Judith Copeland called "Modular Crochet". Here is a review from Amazon which makes it sound just like what I need since I am mostly interested in clothing:

If you want an easier way to go about with your crocheted clothing, this is the book to have. Gives step-by-step, innovative instructions on how to sensibly construct pullovers, sleeveless tops and dresses in an almost-effortless and uncomplicated way, minus the hassles of too much increasing, decreasing, and keeping track of endless numbers of stitches. The end result? Classic garments in timeless cuts that can be worn for years and years.

The book is currently out-of-print. I can find used copies but most prices are over $70. Does anybody have this book and would also recommend it?

I hate to pay those prices sight unseen but I am really intrigued by the concept.

Thanks for any input!

Brenda G.

I actually have that book on my Amazon Wish List. I look at it now & then but still haven't purchased it.

I had a copy many years ago, and recently borrowed it through my library (ILL). I still love the idea of modular crochet, but now find the book's methods a little fussy and limiting. For some reason, she chose to use the technique only in pullovers when it could be very easily adapted to cardigan type sweaters. She didn't invent the idea of modular units, just added her own techniques. I'd strongly suggest finding a library copy to look at before spending an outrageous amount on it.

• 2 weeks later...

I 'm late on this, but I got that book from my library here in Austin a while ago and it was *beat up*! It was just barely held together with threads. Anyway, it was awesome, and although I could never buy it unless I saw it for around 10 bucks or so (I'm poor!), I think just looking at it is enough. Once you get the basic idea down, you're good to go.

... I think just looking at it is enough. Once you get the basic idea down, you're good to go.

That's why it's a good idea to look over a library copy first, if you can. If you have plenty of crochet experience under your belt, and "get" the idea of what she's doing, you don't really need to own the book, at least not at today's going prices.

This has got to be my favorite crochet books. I also enjoyed some of the photos, a few of the models are a trip...I paid about $35 for it on Ebay and it was worth it in my opinion. I don't know if I would have paid more than $50, but the technique is brilliant!

Is anyone familiar with this book, Magic Motif Crochet: Thirty Modern Modular Crochet Designs byMaggy Ramsay? It was published in 1987 and 1991. Copies are relatively inexpensive. My library doesn't have a copy so I don't know if it is helpful.

EugeneClarence

Thanks again for the idea of getting this book via Inter-Library Loan. It was there on Wednesday when I went to the library! I agree that making some copies of key pages will be sufficient to "get" the concept, even as a beginner, and I'm glad that I didn't pay tons of money for it. Haven't had time to really read through it so don't know if it will be something that will work for me or not.

But certainly the concept of making sweaters without a lot of tedious counting is appealing to me.

Creatively yours,

Brenda G.

Is anyone familiar with this book, Magic Motif Crochet: Thirty Modern Modular Crochet Designs byMaggy Ramsay? It was published in 1987 and 1991. Copies are relatively inexpensive. My library doesn't have a copy so I don't know if it is helpful.

EugeneClarence

I am sure I have this book at home, I'm at work right now so I can't go and look, but I am 95% certain I have this book.

• 2 years later...
I had a copy many years ago, and recently borrowed it through my library (ILL). I still love the idea of modular crochet, but now find the book's methods a little fussy and limiting. For some reason, she chose to use the technique only in pullovers when it could be very easily adapted to cardigan type sweaters. She didn't invent the idea of modular units, just added her own techniques. I'd strongly suggest finding a library copy to look at before spending an outrageous amount on it.

Good suggestion here. I wish this were posted in many more places. :)

I am sure I have this book at home, I'm at work right now so I can't go and look, but I am 95% certain I have this book.

Thanks for the 4-1-1. Just ordered via Amazon for a lil under $3.

Archived