Sunset "painted" doily in sewing thread

Krakovianka

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, sewing thread. :-) When you hold 3 strands together, a size 10 hook is about right. The beauty of sewing thread is the array of colors available. It does have a downside, though. Most sewing thread is polyester, and the finished doilies lack the body of cotton doilies. You really need a little starch, and you have to remember--a hot iron would destroy one.

But, they are so pretty....this one is destined to be wall art. Thanks for all the kind comments!

So beautiful. I have a WIM for an afghan where I gradually trade out the colors of the rainbow. I haven't found a suitable thread or yarn that comes in enough shades. The thread has to be thin yet not so thin that an afghan can't be made.

I look at this all over again every time someone else discovers it and posts a comment, Karen. I have this pattern (thank you, my friend) and remember what a stunning piece you made of it when I see it. This must be one of my favorites, ever, at Crochetville!

Wow!:woo I've only seen these in advertisements. I would be so proud of this I'd want to frame it in gold and hang it near the front door, so I could drag passers-by in to see it! :lol

What size hook did you use? Do you have a preferred brand or type of sewing thread (all cotton vs. cotton poly vs. carpet thread, etc)??? :think

Wow!:woo I've only seen these in advertisements. I would be so proud of this I'd want to frame it in gold and hang it near the front door, so I could drag passers-by in to see it! :lol

What size hook did you use? Do you have a preferred brand or type of sewing thread (all cotton vs. cotton poly vs. carpet thread, etc)??? :think

When you go to start a project like this, you realize just how expensive sewing thread is. :eek I bet I *would* prefer all cotton thread, or maybe rayon, but what I can afford is the cheap polyester thread, so that's what I use. I let the colors speak, and don't worry that I can't afford the top-quality thread. The polyester thread comes is a much wider variety of colors than anything else available to me, anyway.

Archived