Sunset "painted" doily in sewing thread

Krakovianka

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is simply gorgeous! I've never heard of painting with thread before...I've seen the technique with yarn, but it never occurred to me that it could be done in thread too. I'm so glad you shared your artwork - and knowledge!

Absolutely stunning! I am glad to see your finished piece, Karen. You're going to make me want to work up that pattern. You have such a good eye for these things.

(Yes, I'm testing if our Norton Internet Security is going to let me back in after all this time. I miss C'ville!)

Carla! How great to see you around. I hope you get your security issues worked out, for sure.

This pattern was pictured in white in the magazine I used. I probably would not make this pattern in white, or in any solid color, but painted doilies (IMO) work best if the pattern is simple. Since my colors were intended to represent a sunset, this pattern with the "rays" around it was perfect. I love a good, complex design, but I also love bringing a design to life with color. :yes

I am in LOVE with this!!! :manyheart What magazine can I get this out of?! I've been wanting to try a painted doily for a long time. I've been looking at some books on other sites, but nothing compares to what you've done. It's magnificent!!! Absolutely stunning!!! If you could give me any information on how to track this pattern down, I would greatly appreciate it. :c9

I posted a reply and nothing happened, so if a duplicate (or almost duplicate) reply shows up, I'm not deliberately repeating myself! :lol

Karen, this is just spectacular! What patience it must have taken, not to mention the toll it must have taken on your eyesight! Truly a masterpiece! :clap

I am in LOVE with this!!! :manyheart What magazine can I get this out of?! I've been wanting to try a painted doily for a long time. I've been looking at some books on other sites, but nothing compares to what you've done. It's magnificent!!! Absolutely stunning!!! If you could give me any information on how to track this pattern down, I would greatly appreciate it. :c9

Like most of the patterns I make, this one comes from a crochet magazine that I purchased here in Poland, specifically Robotki Reczne for September 2007. There's not much hope of finding this magazine, I'm afraid, unless it's from me. I do have one extra copy of that magazine. Can you crochet from a chart? The pattern is diagrammed in easily readable symbols, although the text of the magazine is Polish.

And let me add again--the original pattern was done in white. The color changes were worked out by me. I meant to photgraph those notebook pages and include them in this post, but I forgot. I wanted to show how painstakingly I worked out all the color changes round by round...and still ended up making changes on the fly!

• 8 months later...

Archived