Sunset "painted" doily in sewing thread

Krakovianka

This was a WIM for over a year, and has been a WIP since June, in danger of becoming an UFO because I made a mistake in the next-to-last round and dreaded having to frog it.

But, I finally did it, and here is the finished result!

2946249747_f5742b40bb.jpg

It's quite large--about 19 inches across--and destined to become wall art as soon as I find a good color fabric for the background. I already have the frame!

Here's a closer look at the shading:

2946249751_dd2f514dc9.jpg

If you've never seen a painted doily before, the basic idea is this: you hold three strands of sewing thread together as you crochet, and change one thread at a time to achieve gradual color changes.

I'm so happy to have this project finished!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fantastic, absolutely Fantastic...I want to make another one sooooooooooo bad, but should have been doing it this summer, way to dark in the winter, even with white lights......maybe next year I will tackle another one......yours really inspires me to do another one..... It is GORGEOUS!!!!

Gorgeous! so glad you finished it and could share it with us. Very inspiring :) I did one tiny painted doily a few years ago, so I can still recall the 3 sewing threads...that stuff is so fine for crocheting with. wow, the patience that one had to take! WTG!!

Karen, I am totally speechless! That is sooooo beautiful! You did a fantastic job! I have always wanted to try to do a painted doily but I just haven't taken the time to get the sewing thread to do so...or just taken the time to think about taking time (did that make sense?) LOL. Its gorgeous. Thanks for sharing.

Karen,

As usual, lovely work, expertly done. Take a bow! :clap:clap:clap

I hope to get back to painted doilies next year too. I don't know if I'll ever make one so large or beautiful but now I know what the "best" looks like!

Thanks for sharing,

Nancy

Thanks for all the kind words!

I'm with you, Vonnie--I can only do this kind of work in strong daylight, and I realized one sunny morning this week that we aren't going to have much left this year, so I grabbed this project (it's been right by my chair all this time), frogged what I had to frog, and got right to work. Even with only one round left, it took me two sunny mornings to get it done (I did have other things to do), but I'm SO glad I finished it--it's been raining ever since!

This was my 4th painted doily (no book--just used the technique with other patterns), and I have learned something new every time I made one. This time, I learned that the "middle" colors of your palette are the ones that get used the most, and will dominate the tone of the finished doily. The colors at either end only get used a little bit, and don't show as much. I will definitely apply that knowledge to the next painted doily I make.

And I will make more--I already have the thread for the next one, although I haven't chosen a pattern. The colors are beach-toned pastels, and I plan to make the next painted doily motif-based. We'll see how that goes. It's a project that is definitely waiting for a sunny season!

Archived