looking for a really tight crochet stitch afghan

lisadawn

i am looking for a really tight stitch afghan to make. i have made the ripple afghans and the navajo afghans, would like to make the afghan stitch afghans but the stitches always roll on me but i want a afghan that is tight, almost like a big blanket when you are done and heavy. something solid with no holes. does anyone have any suggestions? i perfer something that doesn't have to be put together such as squares as i don't do to well with strips or squares, more one pattern. I saw a beautiful pattern at a festival not to long ago that was almost three dimensional and very thick but the lady that made it couldn't remember what pattern it was she crochet it from! if anyone has any suggestions on one to share, i would love to hear it. or if you have a secret on how to keep the afghan stitch from rolling when you make it, i'm open to that as well! :cheer thanks!

i am looking for a really tight stitch afghan to make. i have made the ripple afghans and the navajo afghans, would like to make the afghan stitch afghans but the stitches always roll on me but i want a afghan that is tight, almost like a big blanket when you are done and heavy. something solid with no holes. does anyone have any suggestions? i perfer something that doesn't have to be put together such as squares as i don't do to well with strips or squares, more one pattern. I saw a beautiful pattern at a festival not to long ago that was almost three dimensional and very thick but the lady that made it couldn't remember what pattern it was she crochet it from! if anyone has any suggestions on one to share, i would love to hear it. or if you have a secret on how to keep the afghan stitch from rolling when you make it, i'm open to that as well! :cheer thanks!

Look at the post "American Indian Afghan" under show & tell. That looks like it would be fairly heavy and it is beautiful.

A warm and :cheer:welcomefrom Newville, PA.

The afghan stitches always tend to roll a little at the beginning, I always put a border around the finished project, that takes care of the roll. I do remember seeing a pattern somewhere in my stash that called for some rows of sc before the afghan stitch rows, but haven't a clue what book it's in.

Another stitch pattern that doesn't leave holes is to dc, sc, dc, sc, (etc) and then on the row above it, sc over the dc, and dc over the sc.

I can't think what that one is called right now, but it makes a nice pattern!

I made some really good thick hot-pads with that stitch and they turned out great.

Welcome from Michigan - I am currently doing an afghan in a basketweave stitch. Didn't get to the adding link yet -as I'm still fairly new here but basically it's double crochet in front loop of stitch for 3 - then double crochet in back loop across - reverse the pattern on the way back - it's very warm and different. Have fun let us know what you come up with.:)

I have been checking everyone;s posts out and checking all the patterns out! will come up with something i'm sure! then comes the fun part of chosing yarn colors. i am the worst at picking a color and then changing my mind a thousand times before i finally decide on what color i will go with! thanks again, any more suggestions just keep them coming!! thanks again!

Archived