Vanna's Choice Yarn

SarahsStitches

• 2 weeks later...

I saw this yarn for the first time the other day. Felt fairly soft, but I didn't buy any because I was already buying a bunch of other yarn. I'd like to try it out sometime though. They also had Vanna's Choice Baby yarn, though I couldn't tell any difference between the two without actually trying them...

CSS is softer than Vanna's, IMHO. I love both. I use mostly CSS for charity work (make and collect crocheted caps and distribute them to brain surgery patients, so the softness is critical), but love all the great deep colors of the Vanna's.

I used it for the first time because the color shade was right for an afghan I was making to match my living room sofa throw pillows. Incidentally it was wonderfully soft and draped well. I will use it again without hesitation.

I recently saw the skeins that are coming into WalMart stores, and their 7 oz. skeins don't seem as soft to me. Is it my imagination? Or did WalMart contract with them to make a cheaper version for them to sell?

The local quilting shop here is now selling yarn, Yea!! She had Vanna's Choice and I thought it felt kinda rough to me. I didn't buy any because of the feel. Feels just like RH to me. Guess I would have to buy a skein and try it out.

I'm sorry if I come on here and sound like a total dork but I LOVE Vanna's Choice yarn!

This is a pretty high endorsement from me since I am a bona fide "yarn snob". I look way down my nose at that nasty Red Heart Super Saver crap as well as most other cheap, acrylic yarns. And honestly, there are some Lion Brand yarns that are crap as well. (Homespun - HATE IT! Fun Fur - OVER IT!)

Anyway, Vanna's Choice is the best new yarn I've seen in years in its category. By that I mean it is easily available and affordable. For your everyday items - hats, scarves, casual clothing, afghans, novelty items, etc. it is a a great choice. It comes in an amazing color palette, it has a nice "hand", it doesn't split, pill or squeak. It is an excellent quality for the price.

Sorry if I sound like a commercial here, I really like the yarn!

The local quilting shop here is now selling yarn, Yea!! She had Vanna's Choice and I thought it felt kinda rough to me. I didn't buy any because of the feel. Feels just like RH to me. Guess I would have to buy a skein and try it out.

Give it a try...you may be surprised. I for one detest RH, I won't touch it, and this is nothing like that.

Thanks everybody for your imput! But now I'm wondering; What is the difference between Vanna's Choice, and Caron Simply soft? Thank you!

Caron Simply soft is Simply Crap.

Well, okay, that is MY opinion. Yeah, its soft alright. It also splits like crazy and has an unpleasant "limpness". YUCKKKKKK!!!!! Vanna's Choice isn't anything like Simply Soft. Completely different yarn in every way.

I like Simply Soft, but, like any other yarn, it isn't appropriate for every project.

I agree, i don't like how my blankets turn out from it, it's like it already LOOKS worn out and faded. Scarf and hat, just fine.

• 2 weeks later...

I almost didn't post here because I'd be the only one to say I don't like Vanna's Choice (so far...). I've looked at it and felt it and have not been attracted to it at all nor think the colors are a big deal, at least those I've seen an Joann's and Wal-mart. Also, after looking at many pictures of items made with it I just don't like the appearance the "twisty" nature of the yarn gives the finished items; somebody said it looks "upscale" but I thought exactly the opposite, the resulting fabric looked rustic to me not much better than when using RHSS (which I use but only for certain things). But anyway, to each his own, today I say this but because I do love yarn maybe someday under the right circumstances I'll try it for something.;)

Yesterday I went to a new Michael's that opened here and checked all the yarn (of course!:P). Sadly that visit confirmed my previous impressions of VC; it may be a #4 yarn but it's really a "4.5", that in itself is not bad as I'm sure that thickness is good for some projects but I looked at a book with several finished projects made with it and still didn't like the way they looked, maybe I need to see other things made with it, I don't know...

I do not like this yarn, it's cheap looking, terribly splitty, feels weird, almost oily (and I've rubbed/petted it at 3 different stores, one in another town). A friend bought it for me to make her a sweater with, after I do that I would never use this yarn again. I hate to say it I really do cause Red Heart SS and Caron Simply Soft are total crap, but I think Vanna's is worse.

...I recently saw the skeins that are coming into WalMart stores, and their 7 oz. skeins don't seem as soft to me. Is it my imagination? Or did WalMart contract with them to make a cheaper version for them to sell?

I wouldn't be surprised; that's WalMart's MO.

I love Vanna's Choice, but I seem to have gotten into a few skeins that aren't up to par. I made a shawl for myself and have worn it a few times so far this winter but haven't washed it yet; it's pilling like crazy, and the yarn has that "shedding" look; the whole shawl looks really shabby. Before I made the shawl, I made a swatch (with a different skein) and washed it to see how it would hold up to washing, and it was great. But I haven't even washed this shawl yet, and it still looks old and beat up!

This concerns me because, since then, I bought some more Vanna (as did a friend) and we are making some wraps and scarves. If this one does the same thing, I won't be buying Vanna anymore. Too bad, because the colors are great, it's soft, and it works up easily and fast.

I recently saw the skeins that are coming into WalMart stores, and their 7 oz. skeins don't seem as soft to me. Is it my imagination? Or did WalMart contract with them to make a cheaper version for them to sell?

I wouldn't be surprised; that's WalMart's MO.

That's what my husband and I were saying!! Maybe they're mill ends or something. Not a bad thing but I would like to know what I'm buying.

I'm making the Neutral Afghan from Vnna's latest book, Color It Beautiful Afghans. It's to be a Christmas gift for a 13 year old boy. I'm so happy the way it's coming out!!! Soft is the word! Easy also. What an improvement over Red Heart, which is all I can get locally!! I bought it with my 40% off coupons at JoAnn's so it took a while to get all the yarn but was worth the wait! Charlene

I don't know much about it. never tried it at all...but I did see Vanna on Rachel Ray while I was at the dentist. Apparently she gives a decent percentage of the profits to St. Judes? (I think that's where it was, my brain may have fried). But I thought that was neat.

I don't know much about it. never tried it at all...but I did see Vanna on Rachel Ray while I was at the dentist. Apparently she gives a decent percentage of the profits to St. Judes? (I think that's where it was, my brain may have fried). But I thought that was neat.

I was just going through her book Vanna's Choice, Color It Beautiful Afghans and on page 6, she does say that Lion Brand Yarn Company supports St. Jude Children's Research Hospital and so does she. And that people can rest assured by using Vanna's Choice Yarn, they are buying a product from a company with integrity, who makes it a priority to give back to those in need.

Nice thing to know.

LI Roe

Archived