My first knitted lace shawl

goodie2shoes

This is a very nice shawl you have done a good job,

how long did it take to get done.

gr from Sara

Very, very pretty, and I amazed at your speed.

Very nice, I love that Kiri pattern. It would take me about 2 and half years to knit, I'm so slow. :lol Patty

Well I am retired so most of my spare time was used up, gee maybe I have too much spare time. It became almost an obsession, I even started on the edging decided it was too short, ripped that did 2 more repeats of the motif for length then did the border, and it is one of those patterns that keep getting progressively more stitches as you add motifs so each round takes longer and longer. I even stayed up too late some nights just because ......... that and lovely menopause doesn't let you sleep anyway! :P

Being Lace it is holey! so goes faster than solid knitting. I found that out when I did one scarf with a cable .......took for freaking ever, then one in a lace pattern zipped thru that........Probably why I like knitted lace.

WOW - it's beautiful!!!...I envy those of you who can knit...I just can't seem to make my fingers cooperate with knitting needles...

I just started knitting I used to say the same thing.............I think crochet is harder now though, once you can do a knit stitch and a purl the rest is just combinations of the two.

The only advice I have for crocheters learning to knit is when you crochet you already hold your yarn in your left and your hook in your right if you are right handed you are half way there.

With knitting let your left hand still hold the yarn just now you have a needle in each. One of those needles the left has the stitches from the last round on it, you are making effectively making a loop pulling it thru those stitches and onto the right needle.

Investigate what they call continental style. The few times I tried to learn before I was taught to throw my yarn around the needle with my right hand, it didn't feel right.

When I tried it with my left hand controling the yarn ( like I crochet) the only movement is a small one with my left index finger to flick the yarn around the needle.

I have read this from many other crocheters who now knit too. Somehow they pick up the contiental style knitting the easiest.

I learned with some spare cotton yarn and making dishcloths from instructions on the internet the same way I learned to crochet.

If you taught yourself to crochet you can learn to knit really it isn't any harder. Look up some beginner knitting lessons 0n the web, patience, practice and call it a dishcloth. The videos are wonderful you can play them again and again and they don't get tired.:hook

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Beautiful, goodie2shoes, just beautiful. What yarn did you use? I would like to knit lace but... the little I've tried has been so much harder than crocheting lace and I gave up. Well, I do have one piece finished which is quite simple and I've done some of those cables you were mentioning. I'm impressed with your work. How long have you knitted?

Beautiful, goodie2shoes, just beautiful. What yarn did you use? I would like to knit lace but... the little I've tried has been so much harder than crocheting lace and I gave up. Well, I do have one piece finished which is quite simple and I've done some of those cables you were mentioning. I'm impressed with your work. How long have you knitted?

I have only been knitting a few months. Lace like most other things I have tried..... I did them before someone told me it was difficult!

The yarn is Frog Tree brand Alpaca wool fingering weight. For me learning to "read" my knitting and read a chart was key. Once I had purling and knitting down I learned my decreases

take some scrap yarn and follow a chart learn what a left learning decrease looks like in knit and in purl what a right leaning decrease looks like, Make lacey dish cloths with cotton.

Most of the patterns I have looked at combine increases mostly yarn overs\with decreases such ssk and K 2 tog,

Learning how to read a chart it really helps alot.

I used a magnetic board (a cookie sheet works) and move a magnet up the chart as the rows were completed , it helps me keep track of the rows. Sometimes stitch markers help with repeats in a pattern.

Do use a life line every so many rows depending on the pattern. I use dental floss it removes easily and isn't easy to mistake as something I am supposed to knit!

Try finding a pattern that every other row is just plain purling no increases or decreases. so you aren't counting on every row.

More complicated patterns have increases and decreases on every row.

My secret.... don't expect perfection there are mistakes, so every few rows I look back to spot boo boos, can they be fixed some can like forgotton yarn overs. some can't here is where life lines come in handy. I ripped out a lot! So a life line every 4 or 5 rows means I only had to rip at most 4 rows.:eek

Really though if you taught yourself to crochet you can knit, just like when you first crocheted it gets easier as you go.

• 2 weeks later...

goodie, I taught myself both to crochet (many years ago) and to knit (a few years ago). One thing about my knitting is that I've become pretty proficient in Combination knitting as long as it's just plain stuff like stockinette. Combo is so fast and easy and I don't want to give it up. Trouble is, lace knitting and combo require you to think differently about all the left and right leaning decreases and it takes a bit of concentration every time I get going with it. I have taught myself Continental although I'm not as good with it as with Combo and the left and right leans don't require adjustments so I guess that would be the way to go for me if I ever pursue knitted lace. I can also knit English style but find it a bit of a pain and really slow.

Right now I am so fascinated with thread crochet I may never grow in my knitting skills again! Who would have thought I would be into thread like this? But looking at your Kiri... sigh.

LOL about the thread crocheting I am thinking of starting another BMC.

I started knitting and didn't know I was doing combination... sort of, I was knitting into the back loop but my real problem came when I was trying to do stockingnette(sp) stitch and on purl stitches I was taking the yarn around the needle the wrong direction.

SO I ended up with twisted stitches but since they were all twisted stitches it took me a bit to figure it out.:think

Since I havn't been knitting long I decided it would be easier to learn a more conventional style if only because it would make patterns sooooooo much easier. i watched videos and Continental seemed most comfortable,

I had to UN learn somethings and learn others, Norwegian purling for instance is my friend. I can hold the yarn in back to knit and purl whoooppee it makes ribbing loads easier.

And I don't think I could follow a lace chart with all the yarn overs etc. If I hadn't made those chages.

I plan on teaching myself some two color work with one color held in each hand. :yarn

I am trying not to get too set on one way so I can learn different techniques that is how I find out what works for me. Try different techniques it may seem awkward at first..... but hey it's all awkward at first!!! :D Really I did some dish cloths in a rib pattern to learn the Norwegian Purl. and did the same thing to learn to hold the working yarn over my left index and I just sort of pluck the yarn off it with the needle for a knit stitch. .....The first time someone showed my how to knit Years ago they used English or moving the yarn with the right hand. That became a pain in short order and never felt natural. ....I watched a video and practiced practiced practiced and Voila....... Same with lace I didn't even know what a Yarn Over was before I started this shawl :blush: So learning the stitches plus practicing different techniques til I find what feels comfortable to me is an ongoing adventure:P

Archived