DIY Christmas: using what's on hand

I've made "coupon books" before. Coupons are good for such things as: two dozen cookies, hand or foot massage, hair cut, manicure, etc. Things that I would do for the other person. I've also written poems, and songs, for presents.

Everyone in my family has enough blankets, throws, lap blankets, scarves, neck warmers, etc. I'm thinking place mats or table runners for my mother and my sister.

I, too, save up things I find at church thrift shops, garage sales, etc. I often keep a little pile and then have things ready for Christmas. I've given those sorts of things to my folks as I've found them since last Christmas. Just little, useful things to bring someone a bit of good cheer.

This Christmas the gifts will be of the the very old-fashioned variety, completely homemade from what's already on hand.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just love reading this thread with everyone talking about making handmade gifts. I wish people in my family were more crafty. I love handmade gifts so much.

My grandmother used to make us each a christmas ornament and my grandfather would paint us each a small painting. Sadly they don't do this anymore.

I have one great aunt that still does handmade pretty often. She makes santas (ceramic) and handpaints them for everyone. She also made dd two handmade quilts. Those are always my favorite gifts.

My Grandmother made beautiful cards from toilet tissue, glue and pressed flowers but she never got the chance to show me how, I have always wanted to make some for my family but can't find any instructions anywere :(. Reading the posts here are getting my creative juices going, fun fun fun :hook

zeropixie, I think the dollhouse idea is awesome... we made a castle for the boys one year and it is an heirloom !! are you crocheting anything for it?

The latest fad in the blog/ crochet world seems to be crocheted play food so my nieces and nephews are getting a batch of that for their Christmas... My older niece is getting a new Barbie wardrobe..

..My in laws are fairly well off, but they have made it a rule not to spend more then 15.00 per person on a Christmas gift. They start in Jan and scour sales and thrifts and sometimes they make things... we have tried to do that too which makes it special for our family. However, last year my nephew received a handmade blanket in his fav. ball team colors hand made by MIL and some books she had picked up along with a science kit from the museum... He is 7 and threw down the blanket and things and said.." well this sucks".... I felt so bad for my MIL.... he is one of those over indulged types... If dh had it his way he wouldn't give ANYTHING to him this year... I am opting for a mcD's GC just to keep family peace...

Last year I scaled back a little (not nearly enough according to dh) and gd starting looking around for the "rest" of her presents. This year it's going to be slimmer pickings yet again and it's ok with the adults and gd will have to understand; she's 10 now.

Zeropixie, those cards sound lovely. Someone here at C'ville sent me a card she had embroidered. It was amazing. I love it so much, I gave it to my mother, of course. She thought it was amazing, and made another right away. There must be some free patterns on the web for embroidering cards, if you're handy with a needle. Found some: http://www.stitchingcards.com/section.php/5/1/free-patterns

Minwife, sorry to hear that about the nephew. That would have gotten a spanking right there in front of everyone one when I was a child (and no child would have ever thought of that word.). Hope he's better this year.

Jillybean, the cards, or spanking a child for gross misbehavior ;) ?

Minwife, that is sad news indeed. How to raise a spoiled child. They do become bullies.

I've been asking my parents how Christmas was celebrated when there were very young, and how it changed when they got a bit older. The Depression started in Oklahoma, at least in the southern part, about 1920, from what I can gather. It didn't let up till after WWII.

My mother says that getting an orange, an apple, and some nuts to crack were special treats at Christmas. When I was a child, my mother put the same things in our stockings, and added a treat. The one I remember most, is the very small metal tin of Whitman's chocolates. (It's perfect for holding tea bags or sewing notions.) How we treasured those little chocolates. In later years, she'd put in more. And then we children gave up the sweets. Then she started giving us toothpaste, toothbrushes, and dental floss. Or little pocket Kleenex packets all neatly wrapped.

I give my father presents with the paper just wrapped around, and tied with a piece of yarn. He doesn't like the tape. So, I learned to wrap things the way folks did before cellophane tape. My mother uses gift bags. She always makes them look so pretty. It's easier for her than wrapping packages. She can match corners and designs so immaculately.

I have a hard time waiting till Christmas to give my folks things. I always want to give them things to brighten their day, and it's hard to wait. That's why I started looking for wholesome, cheery jokes. It's nice to find things that are cheering without them being things to need to put somewhere.

There's a lovely story I once heard - if only I could remember who the author was - about a European teacher who explained to her children at an African school about how Christians celebrate Christmas and give each other gifts. The following week a little boy handed her a seashell and told her it was his Christmas present to her .

"It's beautiful," said the teacher. "But where did you get it? The coast is miles away!"

The child looked at her, smiled, and said: "Long walk part of gift!"

My family is very big and we used to do the 'secret Santa' thing, pulling names out of a hat so each sibling bought and received one present. We changed over to the one present for each person thing last year, but put a spending limit of €10 per person .. because we realised that we liked the 'long walk' part of the gift: the choosing of a present, the thinking and comparing and whispering and conspiring, the finding of funny things in the €1 shop, the wrapping of presents in odd-shaped boxes or stuffing them with newspaper so the recipient wouldn't know what it was when they shook/smelled/squeezed it (and believe me, no present under the Christmas tree goes unmolested in my parents's house.)

I'd love to do a homemade Christmas but it would be impossible with my Irish family - they're not materialistic people as such, but are also not scarf/hat wearers, afghan users, potholder admirers etc. The women all knit and crochet themselves, anyway. They like things to make other stuff: yarn, pens, pencils, drawing pads and so on. And I don't mind spending money on anything like that. My nephews get Lego, so DH and I can spend an afternoon in the toyshop, trying to decided which we like best, the police car or the rubbish collectors' truck.

I always make my own Christmas cards and I write to everyone at Christmas, a real, hand-written letter. It's a labour of love and that's why I do it.

I clear out as much of my material overflow as possible, passing on (a) things that I have got as gifts and appreciated, but cannot use, (b) things I have bought on a whim but will not use myself and/or © things I have bought simply because I know someone somewhere will love them, and then give them to people who will use them, and hopefully appreciate them. The feeling of ... I don't know how to say it without sounding corny ... having had a bit of a spiritual spring clean is my present to myself. I'm looking forward to the Holidays in December because I have some yarns that I bought, that won't be used any time soon, and I think another crocheter might be happy to receive and use them.

I try to make a present of my time - a present of my presence, haha. I visit people who need a visit and spend time with the people who get cut short by the lack of time in my otherwise-busy life. Not that I'm such a sparkling conversationalist or a fabulous entertainer, but people should take time to just chat and catch up, to show you're thinking of the other person.

I crochet baby things for a Christmas bazaar in aid of our children's clinic and I want to do a heap of scarves for GrannyAnnie. It should be a charitable time of year but I'm always wary of handing over cash to corporate charities: I'd sooner crochet a lot of love and good thoughts into scarves and bootees, and send them on their way into the great, big world.

My DH and I don't actually buy each other gifts because we've never placed much store in gift-giving, funnily enough. We just never attached a symbolism to exchanging presents - probably just because we're very hard to buy gifts for. I just want yarn, he loves his computers and gets all excited about things like fans and processors :(

All I really want for Christmas this year is a week where I do NOTHING except go for walks, read the stack of unread books beside my bed, crochet, watch films, sleep, make some nice food, and mind my man :lol

I do try to make most of my Christmas presents. Last year my mom got slippers, one grandma got a doily, the other grandma got some dishcloths and potholders, and my fiance got a blanket. I'm not sure what I will make for Christmas presents this year. I guess I should get started on that.

Check out annie's attic free pattern for slippers today (Thursday, September 9). A free pattern and a cute gift. Great way to use up left over yarn too for an economical gift. Maybe make the flowers interchangable so they can match outfits or have fun with them.

http://www.anniesattic.com/free_pattern_day/printer.html

I was thinking the same thing when I saw it this morning, a wonderful gift for my 89yo Grams!!

BTW, hubby and I were talking about this the other day. HE said (so don't put words in MY mouth :D) that while it seems like a great idea to not spend any money, the more people that do that, the more it hurts the economy. It's not bouncing back as it is. No purchasing will actually do more damage than it does good and if enough people do it (whether out of necessity or not) we can plunge into a full-blown depression.

Craw, that's a good point. Some people just do not have extra money to spend.

More and more people are going to thrift shops, buying fewer "extras", not using the car unless it's really necessary, growing more of their own food, remaking clothes, etc.

I do think it's important to support local businesses, especially.

This just happens to be one of those thrifty, DIY Christmas years for me.

That's a good point about the economy but with the way many Americans are I don't think he'll have to worry too much about it. Most people are still spending their money like its going out of style. Unfortunately my dh's family is that way.

Supporting local businesses is always a great idea and we try to do that as much as possible.

This is such a great thread with wonderful frugal idea for making special gifts from the heart & hands. :manyheart

One thing I am doing a few of this year is baskets---I get nice nice baskets at the goodwill store for $1 or so, put in a couple of dishcloths, potholders & a dish det. bottle with a crochet dress on it or a jar of hot cocoa mix. Bath baskets, with some cheap bath items from the dollar store along with crocheted items like a bath poofy or soap holder bag.

My boys are getting a warm hat in their stockings. They only receive 3 gifts from us because they get so much from other family members. Their gifts make up the most cost, as it does for most families but this year we're slimming costs on their gifts too because money is so tight.

My mother is getting a thread angel to set out on her table (she doesn't set up a tree but she loves angels). I may make my sister one of them too if I have time.

After working retail for a number of years, I refuse to go into the shopping malls between thanksgiving and christmas. I don't want my christmas season to be filled with rude and stressed out sales associates and other holiday shoppers. I buy small things throughout the year for certain people then make a crocheted item for the people left on the list. This is how christmas has been in our house since we have been married (8yr) In fact hubby and I don't even exchange gifts. We would rather spend the day together instead of worrying about what to buy the other one. I'll admit we splurge on our 2yr old son. We just love seeing his face light up as he opens up his gifts.(the best christmas gift in my opinion) I try to have all my christmas gifts purchased and made by thanksgiving so we can enjoy all those holiday concerts, plays and church activities during the christmas season.

• 3 weeks later...
This is such a great thread with wonderful frugal idea for making special gifts from the heart & hands. :manyheart

One thing I am doing a few of this year is baskets---I get nice nice baskets at the goodwill store for $1 or so, put in a couple of dishcloths, potholders & a dish det. bottle with a crochet dress on it or a jar of hot cocoa mix. Bath baskets, with some cheap bath items from the dollar store along with crocheted items like a bath poofy or soap holder bag.

I love that idea:manyheart! thank you for sharing! And cotton items can be inexpensive with those big cones of cotton.

I noticed my Greenbacks Dollar Store has a ton of baskets. Those might work too.

Debbi

I am lso doing mostly crochet items for xmas, Adults, and couples are getting a collection of ornaments, both yarn and thread, and kids are getting a small collection of amis. :) My kids are gettign toys of course, and then I think about 10 or 12 Amis a peice to make up for the difference in amounts of presents. :)

this past year i have scaled down a lot. i have not bought any crochet or knit supplies since august 2007. i plan to do a few gift baskets of baked goodies. i just made the apple butter last week. i made pumpkin apple butter today. I have canned both so they will be fine for the holidays and beyond. i am waiting for chocolate chips to go on sale so i can make the fudge. last year after the holiday i got a bunch of the jars and boxes from the dollar store to package everything in. i will make the cookie dough through next month and then just bake everything closer to the holidays.

i am knitting an afghan for my daughters teacher. i am not sure yet what i will crochet for the holidays.

I started online shopping WAAAAY back in July! (only 11 paychecks until Christmas)

I bought my sister's kids' gifts first and had them shipped directly to my sister -who WILL wrap them and wait until Christmas to give them to the kids. (the kids got hand made throws last year).

Next came my brother's kids and my godson and his brother (cash gifts in maze cubes already set aside)

Today I just finished for my two boys and hubby using AMAZON gift certificates that hubby got for doing surveys (in other words free money).

Spreading it out really helps! Everything is bought and will be paid for before Christmas. No financial pinch in january! Hooray!!!

As mentioned in the Christmas CAL thread, I am working on a lapghan to donate to the VA for Christmas. Also going to make wash cloths for a friend and swiffer covers for another friend.

AND, I think I have enough white yarn around to make a snowman or something for the preschool Christmas raffle.

Archived