DIY Christmas: using what's on hand

I decided earlier this year not to buy anything new for a year. Food, clothing, household maintenance, car, health, and professional expenses excepted. Clothes from the thrift store. Veggies from a neighborhood stand. Haircuts traded with a neighbor. Frugal choices :c9.

Part of that not-buy-anything-new is to make do with what I've got. Most of us crocheters have enough supplies on hand to make quite a few items.

You know how you can look in the cupboard and the fridge and come up with food for quite a while, without going to the store, if you're willing to eat what's there?

I decided to do the same thing with Christmas preparations this year. No shopping at all. Just use what I have and make things for loved ones.

Haven't quite decided who gets what yet. But, it's a relief not to be under any pressure to buy things.

Hope you all are at peace with your Christmas choices.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

one year instead of dragging out all the decorations and stuff i bought a pad of colored paper and my kids made all the decorations for the tree. it was colorful and gave them something to do at night instead of sitting in front of the tv. it might not have been the most stylish, but it was the best one we had.

I have also decided not to "shop" for Christmas this year. Everyone (with the exception of my 6 year old son) is getting crocheted items.

As I do not have a very large yarn stash, I have had to buy some yarn to complete some of the projects. I am almost done with the presents for everyone and I agree with you, It is very nice not to be under the pressure to shop :D.

It has also helped greatly with the budget :yes. Things have been VERY tight this year. They are beginning to look up but probably won't be back to normal till next year some time.

I like this feeling and will probably continue the tradition for years to come.

My husband and I have both decided that it is time to simplify and get back to the basics!!! Something we have talked about for a long time but the current economy gave us the extra push we needed.

Christmas is about alot more than just presents and hopefully the recipients of my creations will appreciate the work and remember the true meaning of the holiday and know that they were made with tons of love. :hug

Toni

I'm making an afghan for my supervisor, and thats about it as far as crochet. Thinking about making a tote bag for my SIL and stuffing it with goodies, but she's not one for 'home-made' items. She'd really rather have a brand name tattooed across something like that, so haven't really decided yet.

I buy for my 2 neices and nephew, who would be severely disappointed if they didn't get the loud, obnoxious toys their dear Aunt Mel gets them every year (because their parents won't, of course :lol)

I guess I just don't have that many friends/family who would like something I made. I hate that, because I always loved getting home-made items and it would thrill me to make things for others as gifts. My mom likes things I make, but then again, she's my MOM. :manyheart

Gran, I bet thats been a tough decision to stick to, not buying new things for a year....seems like one of those things that would end up being alot harder than you think it would be. Good for you! Now, if you'd send some of that self-discipline MY way, that would be a present you wouldn't have to buy!......:lol

Last year I read a book about a couple that did the same thing. They did not buy anything that was not a necessity. When they attended a family members wedding they made the gift. It was a very interesting book and well written. If only I could remember the title! :think The basis of the book wasn't about saving money but more about questioning why we buy things. Why do we feel the need to buy things? What does it do for us? Is there something else I could do that would make me feel just as good but doesn't require that I spend money?

I also have a tape called "Escape from Affluence." It is very good also. It shows people who have made choices to live differently with their money. It highlights things like people who have simplified their lives, people who recycle, how people have handled downsizing, etc. The tape is a little old, I think it was made in the '80s.

Karin

I too am going the homemade route this year... I am making as many gifts as I can... there are however a few that I may need to go out and purchase something, but compared to most years when I buy everything this will be a load off. Even with these purchases I am going to shop savey as well, I am going to try and get as much as I can on Black Friday when things are on sale, or sales anytime for that matter. I am also using yarn that I have on hand first and only buying any I need when it's on sale. Both my mom and dad's sides of my family do a name draw thing for gifts so hopefully I will be lucky enough to pick someone who can use some crocheted items! There are a few relatives I know would love a hat and scarf combo... just need to be lucky in picking I guess.

Good for you! I could never do it. I need YARN! :D I'm only making one Christmas gift this year, a bed doll for my niece. I just don't have time to crochet everyone something. But oh, if I had the time, I sure would! I'm doing the online shopping thing too. Saves my sanity and keeps me sticking to the list.

I've found that there are all kinds of ways to avoid the impulse buying for almost EVERYONE. If you don't make the gifts, you can always BAKE the gifts. I've yet to see anyone who doesn't enjoy baked goodies at Christmas. Homemade candy is to die for. Interestingly enough, I was eating in a Mexican restaurant last week, and my male server was very impressed with the crocheted dishrag I was making. He told me his mother, back in Mexico crochets. I gave him the dishrag as part of his tip. He actually put it up on the wall in the restaurant. Just a few thoughts. :)

Blessed Be.

This year I am sending my family in Washington gifts but they will all be items I have made. In yrs past it has always been out of site out of mind type thing. I am thinking about making things for family members that live in the same town but we don't usually get together for the holidays so I am not sure.

My husband and I are also gradually moving towards giving mostly homemade gifts. He has been building his wood working "toy" collection every year with the money that he gets for Christmas and I love to crochet, sew, and get into lots of other "crafty" things (last year we made a pinata as wrapping for a blanket).

Also, last year we discovered "Cyber Monday". It happens the Monday after "Black Friday" and it is the day when stores offer AMAZING deals if you buy online. So, if you like to shop online, I would highly recommend checking this out. We will most likely continue to take advantage of the deals for those presents that we aren't going to make ourselves.

Happy Christmas-present-making everyone!

-B

What a great idea to limit or eliminate buying 'new' things for a year. Tough at first, but I would think it would actually get easier as time goes by. Has this been true for you?

I've found over the past few years it has become much too easy to get on the internet and spend. I always seem to think I need a warehouse of my own of crochet supplies. I could probably crochet for years with what I have, so I am going to try to do just that.

And, for Christmas, most everyone is getting a crochet or baked item. I enjoy doing it, and they seem to enjoy receiving. Happy crafting, everyone! Beth

Mellybelly, am sending you love of thriftiness! :hug The decision to not buy anything new for a year came about very naturally. I've found that those choices only work well when they fit in with how I've been living.

I make better use of the library. Not buying books has been the only one that requires deliberate effort.

The exceptions to the do-not-buy have to do with maintaining everyday wellness. The choice is not about deprivation, but, to see how it's just a habit to buy. Like flipping on the television. Some people go on breaks from television for Christmas or Lent, or a few decades. I figured, why not try something that would take more paying attention?

I've been moving in this direction for a few years, so it isn't any big deal. Saves gasoline, too.

Here's to home-grown, home-made, swapping, and enjoying ourselves. :)

I usually do all the xmas cookie baking and some candy making for the holidays. The teachers, bus driver, and all family members receive 1 tin of homemade cookies and candies.

I try to make items for family members but some I think look for the "store bought" item too. So I am only making items for people in my family that I know will appreciate them. The balance are receiving gift cards

I am really going to try to curb the spending for the holidays - I don't think our children will be thrilled but this year is a particularly difficult one and I think its time to get back to what the meaning of the holiday is.

I love this idea. I have been working for a couple of months on home made (crocheted) items for my Christmas list. I am moving to NC in November and will have more time on my hands until I find a job, so I should be able to accomplish everything I want to make. My plan is to simplify my life when I move. I will have to buy a few appliances for the new house, but other than that, I will try to make curtains, etc instead of buying. I so much need the simple way in my life right now.

That's great that you are doing this. I really want to start simplifying my life as well. I am tired of the clutter and tired of the stress. I want my dd to grow up with memories of making things, hanging out in nature, and spending time with family. Not shopping malls, and stress.

I am doing mostly hand made gifts this year that are useful, not clutter. I am also asking others to do the same. No one needs more clutter in their lives.

.. I made pillows and felted purses for the women/ girls this year to use up a major stash of wool. I simply did the graph in wool, felted and it came out GREAT!! I did purses for the younger girls and pillows for the older women...

50projects001-1.jpg

The purses look great, Min!

Thanks for sending me the love of thriftiness, Gran :hug I was raised to be 'responsible' - paying bills on time if not before they're due, etc. I try to budget, but don't always stick to it as I should :blush Now that I'm inspired, maybe I'll pay closer attention to things!

I'm making about half of our Christmas gifts planned this year. I've got a couple of the gifts done so far. I know one of the recipients is probably going to 'pooh-pooh' at the gift basket because it will have homemade items in it and he thinks that's cheap. The irony being that it'd be cheaper and SO much faster to just buy a gift card for his ungrateful self! However, I know his wife appreciates homemade, so that's that!

Oh Gran, I love this thread. Christmas should be a happy, peaceful time..not stressed-out and commercial. I think your year of non-spending is a very good thing.

Lea, I love the bag! Your family/friends will be very happy.

I too am making most all of my Christmas gifts this year, which I started on months ago. I just can't afford to go out and buy gifts, so all the yarn I have been buying for $1 a skein on the clearance rack at HL will be turned into gifts for Christmas. It is about the best that I can do this year and hope that the recepients will appreciate them. If not, at least I know I made them with love and did the best that I could by thinking of them (as it is the thought that counts).

I make most of my gifts every year. I enjoy doing that and others enjoy receiving them. I usually make them all year long. I use to also look for gifts all year (especially in January when gift sets are marked down). If I can't think of anything (re: older single brother) I do a gift card.

Here's another post from last year I remember seeing Gone Jar Crazy!!! which has some clever ideas on using those mason jars you find in stores inexpensively and they can make great gifts.

Debbi

I've found that there are all kinds of ways to avoid the impulse buying for almost EVERYONE. If you don't make the gifts, you can always BAKE the gifts. I've yet to see anyone who doesn't enjoy baked goodies at Christmas. Homemade candy is to die for. Interestingly enough, I was eating in a Mexican restaurant last week, and my male server was very impressed with the crocheted dishrag I was making. He told me his mother, back in Mexico crochets. I gave him the dishrag as part of his tip. He actually put it up on the wall in the restaurant. Just a few thoughts. :)

Blessed Be.

What a wonderful story!!! Now maybe each time he looks at the dishcloth he will be thinking of his mother. Love it!!!!

DD's chirstmas gifts this year are all doll house related. There's some leftover wood from another project in the garage for three years now and it's more than enough to make the house and I have been scouring yard sales for the furniture. Having a theme has been great because I know how much I want to spend and it's keeping me in that budget.

I have started on crocheted gifts for the rest of the family in the hopes of destashing as much as I can before the spring sales start. :crocheting

Growing up us kids always had the most fun creating something for a loved one. My grandparents really like getting a suprise package in the mail filled with love.

Last year I made lip balm for everyone and some purfume sticks for my sister.

My mom and I made up a box filled with stuff like recipe cards, soup in a bag, gingerbread mix and flavored coffee creamer for my sister and her best friend, they loved it.

DD is starting to get the crafty bug right now she is working on her own greeting cards for gifts. We have some old empty greeting card boxes and she is making cards for every holiday :manyheart

Archived