Crochet Prizes!!!

I am helping to teach a small group of kids how to crochet. They have now learned the basics. I am wanting to keep them motivated and thought it would be fun to offer prizes to those who complete their crochet projects. I thought I could give them a date to have their project done and then put their name in for the drawing of a prize.

What ideas do you have for prizes? I need to keep them within my price range, (low), because I want to start doing it every time we meet, which is two times per month, and I want the prizes to be related to crochet.

So far I have come up with crochet hooks (the lighted ones), measuring tape (I would like to find a place to buy the sheep measuring tapes, maybe I could order some), yarn needles in a case, Yarn daisy (I just spotted these the other day at Hobby Lobby, they help teach you to make a ball of yarn....any other suggestions?:think

I like that, great idea!!!!

A gift certificate would be really great, then they could pick out what they want to, and the skein of yarn idea is good too!! I have alot of that I have bought on my own already, that I would probably never use, but they would probably love to have!!

Thanks for your ideas!!:manyheart

• 3 months later...

Wow, really good idea!! I have made several string crochet bags, thought I would use them for shopping, but never seem to. These would be good gifts!!

Sorry I just checked this thread, it has been awhile since I have had time to cruz the internet!!

You could crochet a small hook case for them.

You could buy for a buck at walmart - those re-useable cloth bags and they would have a "tote" to carry their yarn in.

Yarn Bobbins are cheap.

PomPom makers are cheap.

Hmmm I'll keep thinking on it.

Donna

Not specific ideas here, but Hobby Lobby puts a lot of things on sale each week. You may want to check the ads each Sunday and find something inexpensive to buy for the prizes.

They just had all their hooks on sale last week, so you missed that one. But there are always specials on yarn, etc.

They also have the free patterns that are on display. Take a few and put that with the yarn, to give them an idea of what to do with the yarn.

And don't forget checking the clearance aisle. They put very nice yarn on sale for a dollar or two.

Good luck. It sounds like a great way to keep them focused. One idea may be to have each child who completes something to put their name in a hat. And then draw a name for the weekly winner.

:manyheart

How about the thrift stores in your area?? They usually have yarns, hooks, pattern books, etc available really inexpensively.

Some other ideas that aren't listed...

yarn darners for weaving in ends

stitch markers (PM me if you don't make them...i will send you some for free)

small scissors (i have bought these at walmart or michaels in sets of several pairs)

patterns for stuff they use like ipod/cell phone cozies, amigirumi's

and then there's the non-crochet prizes you could do:

free movie pass gift card

itunes music gift card

shopping mall gift card

bookstore gift cards (or books, or even a current issue of a crochet magazine)

If you sew, the hook caddies are great...you can make them with just a couple scraps of material and they don't have to be very fancy. ( i could probably help you with a couple of those too)

I think its great you are teaching crochet to kids...i don't know what age group you are working with, but so many kids aren't interested in "making" anything...more into wii, video games, txt messaging and computer stuff. :cheer You go girl!! :bow

I live in a campground-based community with full time residents, and have a couple of the kids see my work, and want to learn...i've told them i will teach them whenever they want to learn...and since have started a craft meet 2 saturdays a month but is geared for adults. I am hoping as the camping season starts in a month or so, that the parents will let their kids come up and learn stuff - its not just for crochet, but other needlework, beading, etc. Giving prizes is a great motivation and has given ME ideas for what I can do this summer.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all the ideas, BeasteezGurl!! Sounds neat to live in a campground community, too cool!!

We have started our second group, this time at the Jr. High School. It is a blast!! We have four girls and I am lucky enuf to have lots of helpers!!

I wish I could just do this for a living!!! Too much fun!!!!! :hook

• 2 weeks later...

How about a pencil case and notebook (3 ring type). They could put their pattern in the notebook (I use sheet protectors to keep my pattern from getting wrinkled up) and keep their hooks in the pencil case.

• 3 weeks later...

I teach at a local Adult Education program and at the end of each semester I give all of my students a gift. Many of those that were mentioned previously and in addition, I take advantage of sales and pick up the little pattern booklets you see at places like Walmart, Michael's Crafts, and Joann Fabrics. They're inexpensive and have a wide variety of projects. You can also pick up little canvas tote bags at any local craft store - this way your students will have a special bag just for their crochet projects. Even just one skein of yarn ... I'm a firm believer that one can never have too much yarn! :devil

Good luck and happy crocheting!

EagleEye

• 1 month later...

Archived