Blocking Question

sarah_ea

Question

I have recently began crocheting again and I have a question about blocking. This isn't something that I have ever done before. I made some thread ornaments and the pattern calls for blocking them. I bought some stiffener and a piece of styrofoam I am going to cover with cloth to pin it to. Is this an okay method? The pattern called for foamboard and I found that at my local craft store but I don't know how well the pins will go into it.

Also, I have been crocheting some baby afghans and was wondering if these need to be blocked. The pattern doesn't call for it but I read in a book I have that you can lay wet towels over the afghan and when they dry the item will be considered blocked. I think in certain patterns that have a picot type edging that blocking might be needed? Below are pictures of two blankets that I have made. I have already given away the white one but I still have the blue one. Should either of them be blocked? If so, what is the best way to do it?

Thanks for any help you give me!

th_CopyofHPIM2279.jpg

th_HPIM2342.jpg

4 answers to this question

Hi,

As far as blocking the ornaments goes: you should not have any problem using the foam board. The pins should easily go into the foam board. I would recommend covering the board with waxed paper or saran wrap, not fabric. Be sure you use either brass or stainless steel pins so they do not rust when you use them on the wet ornaments. Blocking simply consists of wetting the item with the stiffening solution and "arranging" it how you want it to lay. With the ornaments you want to be sure the pattern and points are straight and even. You will probably need to stretch the ornament some to make it the size you want it. I have never used store bought stiffener I always use either a sugar/water mixture or a corn starch/water mixture. That way if when dry I don't like the way it turned out I can just wash and re-do. Both will produce a stiff enough finish for ornaments. Most of my Doilies I just use spray starch and iron lightly.

The blankets you have pictured looked beautiful to me. I personally do not block blankets. I just wash them and dry them. If the pattern lends itself to rolling or not laying flat, I will fluff them in the dryer until they are damp and then lay them out the way I want them on towels to finish drying. I hope any blankets I make will be used and don't really see the people I am giving them to going through the trouble of having to block them. I don't want the recipient to have to worry that every time the blanket has to be washed, they have this long process of blocking etc. to be able to make it look good again.

Sorry I was so long winded. If you have any other questions, please let me know I will be happy to help if I can.

LOL,

Toni

Jean,

What a wonderful idea!!!! You never have to worry about rust and the toothpicks are certainly alot cheaper than the pins. I have always had the problem of the pins turning into a gooey mess after I use them several times and there really is not a good way to wash and dry them to get the goop off of them.

Thanks so much for the great tip!

Toni

I second the toothpick idea as well. My local asian market sells ones that are round and more pointed and smaller in diameter than the ones from the regular supermarket or drugstore.

Archived