2nd Annual Blanket Drive for Pine Ridge

walker1021

The people who live on the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation will soon be chilled to the bone with the brutal cold weather in South Dakota. :wbrrFor the 2nd year, Crafting for a Cause is having a blanket drive to help out the families on the Reservation. Would you like to join us in making/buying blankets/afghans to send to them? :manyheart

We have 2 members that collect squares and assemble them into blankies. They would be so happy to get more squares. I agree with you, using double strands for the squares would be too bulky. Good thought, tho. Come on over and join us at CFAC! We would LOVE to have an extra pair of hands!

It may be me loosing my brain. PM me your "real name" and I will check to see if we have you listed. With 180+ members, my brain can't keep up with all then names:loco

:hi Hi Jana! :hug BLANKET DRIVE!!! HORRAY!!! :jumpyay:jumpyay:jumpyay:woo:party:party

I just wanted to pop in and encourage people to consider joining this group. If you are looking for a group that REALLY MAKES A DIFFERENCE, this is the one for you. :yes Plus, we have a BLAST!!!! :party Hope to see you there. :hug

Hi i have some items to donate to the Pine Ridge if you send me the add. Thanks Snowbird:crocheting

Hi Snowbird! Thanks for wanting to help out!!! If you click on the link in my siggy line, it will take you to the CFAC Group. From there you can join. Once you have joined, then we can get you the address. I am sorry that I can't give it to you thru this forum, but this helps us insure that our contact's address does not get out into the realm of the world wide web. Thanks for understanding. Looking forward to having you in the group!

jana

What size blankets are you looking for?

Any size blankets ~ from lapghans to couch blankies. Thanks for asking idagammy! Please come join us in the group! Click on the link in my siggy line to be taken right to the homepage where you can learn all that we do.

jana

Cindy - I have never heard of this other charity group, so I cannot answer your question. sorry.

CFAC also helps out other locations as well, such as the Children's Cancer Center at UC Davis. Click on the siggy link if you are interested to see what else we do. Thanks for caring about the families on Pine Ridge no matter which organization you support!

jana

Different from afghans_etc_4charities because they support this same reservation? REason I ask, is I don't want to join another group for one of the same things, but would be willing to help you off the group. :)

There are many groups that help Pine Ridge Reservation. I am with 3 groups that do so, in their own way, and each group supports different organizations on the Reservation. I haven't had my groups overlap as to where the items are going. One is very specific and each month or so does a donation drive or two for very specific items, a lot to do with the kids and schools etc. One just makes afghans for Pine Ridge with donated squares from all over the country. She has her own independent contacts and knows where her need is greatest. CFAC has their own contacts also at Pine Ridge and does a lot of handcrafted items such as blankets, layettes, booties, hats etc.

I can't remember which group, but I believe it was CFAC, that changed one of the groups supported as their original group was well stocked and had other's helping also. So they found another group in need on the Reservation. So it's all good no matter where it goes.

I don't think there will ever be an overload of items headed to the reservation. From what I have read and talked to people about, this place is huge and the need is so great one could crochet, sew or knit all year and just barely touch the tip of the iceberg so to speak.

Ok, I requested a "join". Waiting on the documents now. I do alot of charity work so can put this charity into my schedule also. :)

Thanks Cindy!! Looking forward to having your hands join in on the fun:cheer:cheer

jana

• 3 weeks later...

:hiHi!! Let's :bumpthis thread back to the to the top where it belongs! :lol This is truly a wonderful cause and the people are so much in need of blankets for the cold winter that's right on our doorstep. :yes

Btw, I have 2 afghans finished and 3 more in the works. I just wish I could get my fingers to go faster. :lol

We had a priest who works with Pine Ridge visit our church last year. He showed us pictures and explained all the work they are doing on the reservation. A truly worthy cause helping children, adults and elderly.

:hiHi!! Let's :bumpthis thread back to the to the top where it belongs! :lol This is truly a wonderful cause and the people are so much in need of blankets for the cold winter that's right on our doorstep. :yes

Btw, I have 2 afghans finished and 3 more in the works. I just wish I could get my fingers to go faster. :lol

If they went any faster, Cherri, they would be called a Crochet Machine. lol:crocheting:crocheting:crocheting:crocheting:crocheting

• 1 month later...

Thanks to everyone who has helped out. With everyone working together, we have sent out over 200 afghans/lapghans so far. There are still a couple weeks left. Keep those hooks a'flying!

Thanks so much!

jana

Do they also need crocheted sweaters and other warm clothing?

Any warm clothing you wish to send is always appreciated by whichever group you send to on the reservation. It's frigid there and they have to stay warm somehow if they don't have heat. So just make what your heart tells you to and send it. it will definitely get put to good use.

Archived