I think I am going to scream

cajunwhacko

I got a wedding invitation in the mail today, from one of my best friends. Such a good friend, in fact, that we're driving from Florida to Ohio just for the wedding. So I decided I had better take this as a sign and get to work on her wedding present.

I was going to make her an afghan. After about 5 different pattern changes I decided that wasn't such a hot idea. How about something with thread?

And so it came about that I bought a ball of the dreaded size 30 thread and found a filet pattern for a piece that says "Bless this House" on it. Perfect.

I got out the thread. I got out a hook that is so tiny I'm afraid to look at it and see what number it is. I chained 115, and counted three times to make sure I had really chained 115 before I did 111 dc and realized I had counted wrong. I turn my piece, and I start doing my dcs. And then it happened.

I found a knot in my thread. Not a 'my thread has twisted upon itself so often it has tied a knot' knot. An honest to goodness, wrapped around and pulled through knot.

:faint

There's only one solution. Loosen it and untie it. The mere thought scares the bejeezus out of me. I think I need a good stiff drink first...

I'm guessing the knot will fall in the mesh part, hunh? It's possible to cut it, then start over again and work the ends in with a needle, but maybe you don't want to try that. I know with snowflakes I'm always burying the ends where there isn't much to work with. I've got my fingers crossed for you, and by all means, don't give up!! :xfin

Well, I finally managed to loosen it enough to pull it waaaaay out, and then stuck my whole arm through it up to the elbow. LOL. Drastic, but it worked.

I just got all the way to the end of the first row of patterned mesh, and found out that the very first block was written wrong. So I have to frog it all the way back and add one measly dc. *whimper*

I just hope nothing else goes wrong! *knock on wood*

Anne, I hope the bride & groom appreciate all the work you're going thru for them. You will prevail I'm sure!

I figured out that last night I did 5 rows, which ended up being 672 stitches (yeah, I had to frog that one row all the way and redo it lol)

I have this little bitty strip about 7 1/2 inches long by half an inch wide to show for it, too. But, I'm about a fifth of the way done. It'll be little, that's for sure!

Once I get it done, I'm going to block it (if I need to, it looks pretty good I think), stiffen it, and then put it on a blue background and mat it and frame it.

I sure hope they like it! I have a feeling they will, it's something that is really 'them'.

I figure if I do 5 rows a night (which is all I can handle before my hand cramps up from holding that dinky thread) I'll have it done in less than a week. :xfin And of course, I'll post pics when I'm done!

Good luck with your project! :hook I can't wait to see photos...I have thought of making a similar thread project....but I always go for the crocheted names. I need to get busy on my dad's and stepmom's anniversary one...their last name is 12 letters! YIKES

Donna

Good luck with your project! :hook I can't wait to see photos...I have thought of making a similar thread project....but I always go for the crocheted names. I need to get busy on my dad's and stepmom's anniversary one...their last name is 12 letters! YIKES

Donna

Do you have any pictures I could see? That was my first thought, but I decided they might like this better. Plus their last name is going to be 10 letters.

I know what you mean about 12 letters though, my bf's last name is 16! And czech, which means it's mostly consonants lol

Of course I have a photo, lol. This was before it was blocked, but you get the idea. I chose not to add a border, like the pattern called for, just because they are both active duty military and very simple people..I thought the simple block design would be great for them. Now the one I make for my dad's anniversary I will probably add a lacy border, even though it will be LONG! lol Donna

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v610/buggaboosmommy/DSC00731.jpg

It just had to get worse, didn't it.

So, I pick it back up tonight to do my bit. I'm to the first row with lettering and not just mesh. Moving right along!

Then I realize last night I saw the grid wrong, each block is 10 grids, not 5. Okay, so a little more work. No big deal. Ch ch dc, ch ch dc...

By this point I have to get a bandaid to put around my index finger because the thread is cutting into it. This after not being able to hold it tightly enough. Ch ch dc, ch ch dc...

And then it hits me. There's no way this is long enough. The horrible realization that I may have miscounted from the very beginning, all 800+ stitches, comes to me. I recount the repeats in the border, and it's the right number. So what the heck is going on?

And then I know. The bleepty bleep bleep graph goes from side to side. Not from top to bottom. Which means that I have 73 rows to do grand total. I've done 8.

This sucker's gonna be huge. I'm glad I didn't decide to start over with size 10. I thought about it.

I'm sure there are probably those people out there who are giggling at the fact that it took me 800+ stitches to realize that I was a few grids short of 73. (The height of the thing is a bit short of 40 I believe. I'm not going to go look.) What you have to realize is that my spatial reasoning is extremely lacking. When I put a puzzle together, it takes me twice as long as normal because I have to try every side of every piece together. Even when the two sides both have bumps instead of a bump and a hole. Intellectually speaking I know that they can't fit. But when I look at them, I can't see that they don't.

My mom told me my spatial reasoning can't be that bad. Afterall, I crocheted a giant stuffed Pooh Bear. I looked at her like she was insane and said, "but he was flat!" I never saw him as a whole, every round was a plane of its own, and there was no bigger 3D picture. Not while I was working on him.

I'm going to go drown my severe disappointment in a cupcake or two. I think I need chocolate. And someone to watch me who has spatial reasoning capabilities, and can tap me on the shoulder and say, um, that isn't going to work out...

:hug I'm not laughing, I promise! I'll just reiterate my 'don't give up' and :cheer :cheer :cheer you on. Pretend it's a really small, kind of funny looking afghan (because it would look funny if it were an afghan) and keep going as best you can.

Bless your heart! I understand having limited spatial skills. I can't even get shoes back in a shoe box without turning them around three or four times. :P

I hope it all works out for you, and I think it is wonderful that you are taking the time to make your friend something you know she and her husband will treasure. :hug

Archived