"Turn" ? What does this mean? How?

Question

HI,

I am a fairly new crocheter. Can anyone tell me what it means when a pattern says "turn"? It seems like it when you get to the end of a row.

I am pretty visual so a link to a video would make my life so easy. In fact, other than a chain stitch, I learned to crochet on Youtube.

Thanks in advance,

Sherry

This is an example of what I mean......I know what to do until I come to the "turn".

Rd 1: With white yarn, ch 2 (counts as first sc), 4 sc in 2nd chain from hook, join with sl st in first sc, turn. (5 sc)

8 answers to this question

you turn the work when you are done with the rows/round you completed so the turn and usually a chain will follow that on the next row that will start your next row IE.. rnd1 as you stated

With white yarn, ch 2 (counts as first sc), 4 sc in 2nd chain from hook, join with sl st in first sc, turn. (5 sc)

so you would turn then rnd2 should say ch1 or how ever many and continue with the pattern

does that make sense

usually the instructions will say something like chain 3 and then turn.... all you are doing is rotating your work so you can start a new row and count the chains as the first stitch (unless they tell you now to).....

ok so since I don't know of a video..... here's it step by step as basic as I can think it out....

chain # (2 for yours) (this is now on top of the end of the row you just completed)

you work (crochet) from right to left and when you turn.... you flip the work around so that the chain # (or side that was on your left is now on the right) is now on the right side of the work and the beginning of the next row.....

hope that makes sense

Heather

If you look on my sidebar under Hooked On Needles Links, you will see a link for Crocheting and one for Video Tutorials. Either of those will connect you to some videos showing the very basics of crocheting. Then you can poke around and see what other crochet ideas and information you could use.

There is so much a beginner can do with crocheting, so just start slowly and get good at the basics, and enjoy it!

MGM

http://www.HookedOnNeedles.com

Thank you for your help, Ladies.

Do I take the hook out and turn it around as well?

If it is awkward using it without doing so, then do so. Typically a pattern will tell you the # of chains to chain BEFORE you turn the work and then those "turning chains" help you to rotate the work below the hook without having to remove the hook itself...

Your example is slightly unusual because

1) often when you work in the round you do not turn - whereas you usually do turn at the end of rows when working in rows (unless you work back with reverse crochet...)

2)it tells you to turn before giving you a turning/height chain (which will probably be given at the beginning of the next round instructions)

If you are given an instruction at the beginning of the next round to chain a certain number, you could do it before turning to make your turning easier...

Cheers,

I also have a question myself, if someone could help.

I'm working with a sweater pattern, and when I reached the end of my first row (using double crochet), it says, chain 3 turn 3, then continues on with the pattern for that row.

So my question is, what does turn three mean? Nothing I can find on the internet is helping.

From this:

"repeat ** until the end of the row sk 3 , 1dc, ch 3 turn 3. Ch5, 1sc in the first ch space,"