Crochet full size bath towel - is this a good or bad idea?

Made a towel/crate liner for my miniature schnauzer from peaches and cream as soon as I knew I was getting a little girl. It washes well, but does take quite a while to dry, and it's about the size of an extra large handtowel. I'm afraid a bath towel to cover my big body would be too heavy to lift.

When my crocheted dishtowels dry they are stiff and scratchy. I wouldn't want to have an entire towel made from the cotton yarn. I don't think it would be very absorbant and sure would be full of water for quite a while. I wouldn't want it against my skin for drying. Just a thought.

I made a bath towel out of cotton for my niece. It was a starghan. I made it with Bernat Cottontots. It was pretty big once I finished, because the center was so much smaller than the points, and I had to allow for a good sized center.

It was soft and absorbent. I think it would depend on your climate whether the towel would dry out between uses, but I think it's worth a try.

There's a picture of the starghan bath towel on my picturetrail page.

Somebody suggested tunisian, but I wouldn't do that if it were me. I've only played around with tunisian a little, but the things I've made come out quite a bit thicker than just regular sc or dc.

Good luck!

I do a lot of sc and discovered that the fabric will be stiffer if the stitches all go in the same direction. If you work back and forth in rows, it will have more drape. Because of this, I've been making all my sc facecloths in rows rather than squares. They mold around the face better for "steaming."

I've been thinking about the best way to do a bath towel since this idea was brought up. Alternating rows of sc and dc does sound like a good idea. The drape would be much better for something so large.

I also thought about 3 rows sc, 1 row dc, repeated the entire length.

I think it would be worth the experiment...then you'd know how many skeins, how long it would take to dry the towel after drying on one's body...I say go for it.

Anyone make the baby hooded bath towel, like the one at LionBrand? AND use it or find out if the person you gave it to used it and liked it?

I have made this with Teri before and it worked pretty well. I found a terri that was more on the sport weight to fingerling side that seems fairly nice. I have several green colored terri left as was going to use it to make hand towels for christmas.

• 5 months later...
I must be weird among crocheters. I actually enjoy the repetition. It gets meditative to just keep going and not have to think about the stitches at all. I know most people would say, "how boring!" - but it seems therapeutic to me. It clears my brain.

I totally agree with you. It seems very therapeutic to me as well. It does a great job of clearing my brain also. I love things with repetition.

I agree with you- I don't mind the monotony of the stitch- it actually is very therapeutic for me after working my mind all day at work to be able to work on something that doesn't require thinking. It is quite the stress reliever!

That's what I did last night when I couldn't sleep. Worked on a sc only bag. It seemed to big so I started over, now it seems too small, but maybe not. But that's what I wanted to do, nothing that would make me think too hard but still kind of productive ;)

Maybe making towels would be a way to do this too...

I just finished two "knitted" "Luv Bug" dischloths. I had to underline each row because each row had different stitch patterns and I had to mark off each row as I was finished--:eek :eek. My brain was "swirling". My next project is going to be a "SIMPLE ONE STITCH DISHCLOTH"!! :lol :lol

:think Curious minds want to know. Did anyone finish a bath towel? I know I am totally in love with cotton face cloths. I first made some 2 years ago and now can't imagine doing without them. So I was just wondering how the towel experiment went. ~ Deb

• 2 weeks later...

Last summer I made a hooded towel for a friends new baby. A week later she asked me to make her a Bath Towel. She bragged about it so much I decided I would make them for x-mas gifts. 6 friends received a face cloth, hand and bath towel set, everyone loved them. I do use Peaches and Cream or Sugar and Creme for kitchen but I don't care for it for the bath. I wasn't sure how it would work but I did the gifts in TLC Cotton Plus for the softness and less weight....51% Cotton and 49% Acrylic. 2 friends have asked if I will be doing more this year for them. It could be expensive if making too many.

Last summer I made a hooded towel for a friends new baby. A week later she asked me to make her a Bath Towel. She bragged about it so much I decided I would make them for x-mas gifts. 6 friends received a face cloth, hand and bath towel set, everyone loved them. I do use Peaches and Cream or Sugar and Creme for kitchen but I don't care for it for the bath. I wasn't sure how it would work but I did the gifts in TLC Cotton Plus for the softness and less weight....51% Cotton and 49% Acrylic. 2 friends have asked if I will be doing more this year for them. It could be expensive if making too many.

I'm curious, what pattern do you use for a face cloth? I've made dish cloths, usually ribbed to help w/ scrubbing; just rows of HDC in the back loops. I've always thot cotton thread would make a nice face cloth, but didn't know what pattern to try. It'd have to be something simple for me. LOL!

Lion Brand has a set called eco-chic, check marloscrochetcorner.com or buttonspecialties.com. For facecloths any square without ridges and few holes will work. I did one set with an I hook and all hdc, about an 2 inches from each end I did a row of V-stitch, a row of sc and another row of V-stitch just for decoration.

• 11 years later...
  • 1 year later...

I made my sister a bath towel last year using peaches and cream. She says that it has held up wonderfully and she uses it often. The color may have faded a little but it doesn’t even get that heavy after use…unless you are completely drenching it or using it to clean a massive spill of some kind! Even then she says it air dries just like a regular towel would. Definitely was an experiment for me but I found it was a success and I would love to make more if I had the patience for it.

• 4 months later...

I'm starting this project now, using dishie.  I got it on sale, but it was still pretty expensive for a towel.  My thought is to have 2 towels that I use (right now I have one store bought) and mend for the next several decades.  I like the idea of alternating sc/dc, and since I have 4 or 5 colors it could make for some fun color variation.  I was going to knit the towel, because it would be thinner that way, but I love crochet, and it would give me a relatively big project where I'm just in my happy place.  How could I resist?

2 hours ago, Breaddough said:

I'm starting this project now, using dishie.  I got it on sale, but it was still pretty expensive for a towel.  My thought is to have 2 towels that I use (right now I have one store bought) and mend for the next several decades.  I like the idea of alternating sc/dc, and since I have 4 or 5 colors it could make for some fun color variation.  I was going to knit the towel, because it would be thinner that way, but I love crochet, and it would give me a relatively big project where I'm just in my happy place.  How could I resist?

Enjoy!

• Thanks 1