Cold Hands-Warm Hearts Crochet Along

Hi all. Thought I would start a new crochet a long. If you are like me, you can never have too many pairs of mittens around your house. They make great gifts too. If you want to join us, please send an email to kimberly[at]wovenspun[dot]com with your info and I will add you to the list.

When you complete your mittens, send me a picture and I will put it up in CH&WH gallery.

Here's a button to get us started.

mittens.jpg

http://www.wovenspun.com/chwh.htm

As always, happy crocheting.:wbrr

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm in too! I haven't made any mittens yet, but you're right, they would be great gifts and I realized today that I have no plans after giving out afghans for the last three years. Small things will be great. :wbrr

I'm sure Crochet Pattern Central has mitten patterns.

I've never tried mittens, count me in, but I need to finish an afghan first.

:frog

Great idea, Kimberly! I have a mitten I love that I made last year for one of my uncles, but I never got around to the second because I (gasp) ran out of bernat denimstyle in the right color! I'll have to join this and make more. :)

Has anybody tried lining their mittens? I know I'm making things more complicated, but I'm picturing little hands that have to do chores outside on a ranch, and I'm afraid the wool might be a little scritchy to Evan and Ally. Any ideas? Am I being overprotective of 2 y.o. hands?

I've started my first pair. Just one of those sudden 'must... make... mittens!' things.

I'm doing them in Patons Kroy Vista Sea, and to be perfectly honest I don't like how it's working up too well. I guess I'll have to put them in my gift box for someone.

I looked up a few patterns and tried them out and decided I didn't like how it was working, so I'm making up my own. So far so good...

great job on making up your own pattern. i think that is what I am doing as well. I prefer to make them "backwards" then most patterns (as with my socks) and start with the finger tips first.

Sorry for not really getting a web page up and started for this. I think I am suffering the summer time blahs. That and lack of sleep are just making me soooooo tired and not wanting to do anything. I will get to it soon. :)

I've started my first pair. Just one of those sudden 'must... make... mittens!' things.

I'm doing them in Patons Kroy Vista Sea, and to be perfectly honest I don't like how it's working up too well. I guess I'll have to put them in my gift box for someone.

I looked up a few patterns and tried them out and decided I didn't like how it was working, so I'm making up my own. So far so good...

I would be interested in this too cause I've started doing some smaller things for Christmas already. Our family just keeps growing, 1 new grandson in May & another due in July! I've got grandchildren that would love these.:manyheart:hook

Don't worry about the webpage, I just linked back to this thread with my button on my blog.

I know how the summertime blahs are.

I've just about got all the roses for two colors done, 4 more colors to go then I can start making them into squares and getting that afghan done so I can start at least one pair of mittens.

great job on making up your own pattern. i think that is what I am doing as well. I prefer to make them "backwards" then most patterns (as with my socks) and start with the finger tips first.

I'm doing mine the same way, the pattern I tried worked sideways, and had slip stitches at the wrist and top, and it just wasn't working out. Much easier to do it like a sock.

Of course, it is proving a little harder to try on than a sock... :lol

Yeah I tried the LB pattern last night... just did guage swatches, and I thought the fabric was much too stiff! So I may try another pattern using a sock yarn instead to see if I like that better. Or just try to wing it, but I'm a little afraid of doing that!

I sent you an e-mail, Kimberly. I have no idea how crochet-alongs work.

I had an idea for a mitten design, I'd love to do. I just need to work out the little details.:)

^You make the item in question, post a pic and whoever is hosting it will put the pics up in a gallery. They can be for yourself or gifts or whatever, even your own patterns.

I'm thinking about winging some myself-when I get this blasted roses afghan done, seems like it's going to take forever just to do the roses.

I am so excited that we are getting some more people signing up. I will get a gallery going soon. I have another pair completed and 2 more in the works. I like working with sock yarn. It's really portable and I can work on them while outside with the kids.

for now to view my second pair....check out my blog. There is a close up picture of the stitch that I used and I really like how the colors turned out. Hopefully I can write up a pattern for this soon.

The picture of the second pair turned out great! Of course, they turned out great too hehe. I love the colors!

Must finish my mittens now... lol

Oh, I have a question for you, do you do the thumb like an afterthought heel? Do you increase the chain for the base of the thumb, or does it just have enough give? Or do you have some other magic trick? :think

^You make the item in question, post a pic and whoever is hosting it will put the pics up in a gallery. They can be for yourself or gifts or whatever, even your own patterns.

I'm thinking about winging some myself-when I get this blasted roses afghan done, seems like it's going to take forever just to do the roses.

Thanks. I think I am ok now.:)

Love your afghan btw.

I finally finished my first mitten. It went out to dinner with dad and I lol. He sat there watching me crochet and said, "I have no idea how you can do that." I told him he should see my size 30 thread project! :lol

So, here it is. I don't like how the yarn worked up. There's nothing wrong with the mitten itself, it's just not one I think I would wear. I'm going to see if my friend at work wants them for his 10 yo son, and if not I guess I'll put them up for offer here. I think they're about the right size for Dave, but I already have the yarn for his ordered so hrmph.

th_PICT2681.jpg

I have to say, the thumb was the worst part... I don't know if it was such small rounds or what, but it just seemed awfully tedious. Oh well, at least it's done! Now to make the second one!

Oh, and don't mind the dangling ends, I never seem to take pics after I sew them in lol

Thanks. I think I am ok now.:)

Love your afghan btw.

The roses? Thank you, it's a gorgeous afghan once it's assembled, it's getting it crocheted and assembled that's tedious :wink

Once it's done it's really worth all the trouble and fussing :hook

i think it looks good, Anne. If you truly don't want them, I am sure they would quickly be snatched up by others :)

Keep up the great work everyone. Can't wait to see what's on the horizon for everyone else. Just think...here in the good ole US...the first day of summer has past, the days start getting shorter from here and only 6 more months until Christmas. ;)

Thought I would share something I shared with Anne the other day.

I did an informal survery of various children in my neighborhood last week. I measured their hands to try to find out more about how mittens fit. What I discovered was really cool. Almost every time I measured a hand, I found that the width *around* the hand (palm around back of hand back to palm) was the same as the length from fingertip to wrist. And in nearly all cases the thumb was half that size.

For example, if the hand measured 5 inches in length from fingertip to wrist then it also measured 5 inches around the palm area and the thumb was 2 1/2 inches.

Just thought that this might come in handy if you need to make mittens for someone who isn't there to try them on, or it's going to be a secret gift or something like that.

I took the first mitten to work with me today. As soon as I saw Lawrence I asked him if he thought his son's hands are bigger than mine, and he asked why lol. So I pulled the mitten out of my pocket and explained that I was making them for practice and I won't ever wear them, would he like them?

He looked at me like I was insane and said, We live in FLORIDA!

So I told him I know, but you never know and it does get sorta cold to some people here in winter, and if he'll wear them he can have them. Lawrence laughed and said, yeah, he'll wear them. So I need to finish the second one and make the hat to match so I can give them to him. I even got the ends sewn in before I showed it to him! Amazing, isn't it? LOL

mittens.jpg

This is the first pair of mittens I have ever made. This is also the first time I made something without other pattern help. You will note a discrepancy between the two halves, it is intentional - I was correcting the pattern as I was making the second half.

It is definitely not perfect, but I am very proud of it. I am planning to work out the remaining little issues, like the square tops, in my next pair.

Thank you Kimberly for the encouragement and help. This was a good experience.

Archived