Caron SS Discontinued

bline49307

I am greatly disappointed to find out that my Walmart will no longer carry Caron SS, they are switching to Bernat. Can you tell me a yarn that is comparable to Caron SS? I use this yarn for all my scarves. I find it softer than Red Heart, but still has a little structure to it and is on the less expensive side. Help. I have plans of making lots of scarves for Christmas and now will have to travel out of town to get yarn or purchase it online. Was just curious what others were using? Thank you. :think:think:think:think:think:think

Bernat Satin is the closest - that I can think of anyway....:)

I agree i have used both recently and its pretty close. Since your in michigan did you know Meijers carries it? that was where I got mine from. and it was way cheaper there than Joanns.

I agree i have used both recently and its pretty close. Since your in michigan did you know Meijers carries it? that was where I got mine from. and it was way cheaper there than Joanns.

I have seen the Bernat at Meijers, however, they don't carry the Satin at my local store. ugh. I will definately look at other stores though. That is very helpful. Thank you.

With all of these great suggestions looks like I am going to have to go out of town and load up for christmas gifts. My Walmart and Meijer only carry the basic types of Bernat and Red Heart. ugh. How frustrating. I really want the softer versions for scarves. Wish me luck.

I have seen the Bernat at Meijers, however, they don't carry the Satin at my local store. ugh. I will definately look at other stores though. That is very helpful. Thank you.

Actually I meant that 1 of the Meijers by me carries the caron ss. I bought it there a few times. But it was small skeins.

I've used all three, and I'd say that Bernat Satin and Red Heart Soft Yarn are both a bit thicker than SS, so you'd have to take that into consideration when substituting.

Larger hook to compensate?

After reading this thread a few days ago I couldn't wait to be able to go to one of the local Wal-marts and finally yesterday I made it to one and, sure enough, CSS had the red clearance stickers. I asked an employee and she told me they are never told the reason but that it usually means the item is not going to be brought back to the store. Since they had also discounting a few colors of RHSS, one of which I found out today is being discontinued (Pale Green) by Coats and Clark, I began wondering if the entire line of CSS is being discontinued as well (has happened with several Patons yarns...).

I have just e-mailed Caron's customer service and hope they will reply soon. Meanwhile I'm not too happy about the loss of CSS at W-M because I'm not even sure JoAnn's, my only other local source, carries it and they don't even carry RH's soft yarn, and although I'd only used CSS once and thought they could've had better/more colors I'd been looking forward to using it again.

I will report back ASA I get a reply to my e-mail to Caron's as I'm sure others may want to know. :)

Archived