Wip

classic crochet

If you can't decide on something to make, try learning a new technique. I have been learning new techniques, so I've been swatching. Other than teaching crochet to ongoing and one brand new student, I haven't been crocheting at all. I just finished up an intarsia square with a simple geometric pattern -- that was more about the technique (twisting the yarn so no holes occur) than the pattern. Currently, I'm working a mosaic square which is totally about the pattern, but a cool technique also. After researching it on the net and in 2 books that I have (and previously in a Barbara Walker book lent from the public library) I even wrote out my own, albeit simple, graph. My first attempt at mosaic was horribly tight. I cast enough stitches for a known 5 inch width, and was surprised to find the piece shrink by one inch by the slipping and stranding. So, I cast off and kept the swatch and began again, adding more stitches. I have just completed one course of the pattern, which is a little over 2 inches tall. I'm going to repeat the pattern thereafter, but backwards, so they mirror each other. Meanwhile, I'm THINKING of what pattern blanket I'm going to make for my boss for Xmas, and I'm leaning towards a crocheted snowflake motif that I can easily make anywhere...but oh, the joining!!! LOL

I am making some socks for me! But, steady working on a basket weave sweater for my DH for christmas. I don't know if I will finish it, it seems to be a slow knit.

My camera works if I could only find it. Very upset that I can't. If I ever do, I will post some pics. I finished last years xmas sweater in Feb. and really liked it because DH is basically small but with a bigger belly so it is difficult to find a pattern that hugs his stomach.

Knit Happens - I love the look of mosaic, what colors are you using?

alwayscrafting - Are you knitting or crocheting the baby sweaters?

morehotcoffee - What is your favorite sock yarn? I've only used "Happy Feet." Does your hubby know your working on a sweater for him? Mine always asks what are you working on...I would have to work on it when he's not home.

goodie2shoes - Your shawl is beautiful! Is that mohair? I hope you will post a few close-ups of the stitches when you are finished :) How do you like doing lace? I have never tried it. I tend to go more toward cables and fair isle. Lace looks so delicate to work with, is it very difficult?

smokeyp81 -- I can't wait to see your "Maple" when you finish. I hear you about all the patterns you want to do. I have a VERY think file with all my patterns, it makes it hard to decide what to do next.

I've decided I need to finish my "Happy House" afghan quilt before I pick up another project, but it's giving me time to really spend some time picking out my next project. I think I want to make a knee length cardigan, it gets very cold here in the winter.

Girls - you need to find those cameras!!

Emilyanne - Beautiful work on the lace shawl!

Heather - I love that Maple! I never felted anything and probably won't, but that's my style of purse.

Classic crochet - I'm knitting and crocheting sweaters and other stuff. I get bored quickly so I look for quick & easy patterns to make to sell.

I've been working on a Cable Yoke Pullover (Patons design) that I swear I've been working on since the dawn of time! The cable around the yoke alone took me two months. I'm doing the straight stockinette stitch part now, so it's a bit easier. I'd like to get it done before the really cold weather hits, so that I can have another sweater for work.

goodie2shoes - Your shawl is beautiful! Is that mohair? I hope you will post a few close-ups of the stitches when you are finished :) How do you like doing lace? I have never tried it. I tend to go more toward cables and fair isle. Lace looks so delicate to work with, is it very difficult?

Thank you.

Nope Alpaca fingering Frog Tree brand.

My pics as yet are before blocking and aren't very clear pic here from the designers website show detail. scroll down the page.

I am addicted to lace this is only my 4th knitted thing ever( not counting dishcloths I use for practicing stitches) I have made............

one pair of socks, one cabled scarf, one lace scarf and this is # 4.

I got used to working with smaller stuff doing doilies with cotton thread

so this isn't that much different easier actually than size 20 thread!. I am using fingering weight so not much worse than using some of the baby yarns I have used in crochet.

Just like the cables learn the basics and go for it! PS no one told me I couldn't so I just did! I had someone say to me I was kitting for years and never tried _____ ( fill in the blank) I say why ?????????????? or better yet why not what is the worst that can happen??? It is all new to me ,so what better time to learn, than when I am learning and its's all new anyway? errors You BET! So What!!

I learn by doing it wrong usually first, then hopefully I get better.

Pam - I love cabled sweaters, it will be worth all the hard work you are doing! I can't wait to see it :) What yarn are you using?

goodie2shoes - I love alpaca! Maybe it's just me but the link you posted isn't working, could you please repost it? I would love to see the stitch. I have some Patons mohair I am still looking for the "right" project for.

alwayscrafting - If hubby doesn't fix my camera soon I will see if my son will let me borrow his. Even my blog has gotten out of date due to lack of photos.

Ok reworked link but if that doesn't work

the pdf for the pattern with the pics is here :cheer

http://www.alltangledup.com/movabletype/my_images/my_patterns/kiri.pdf

arrgh I just tinked all the edging out and I am going to add a few more motifs I have one more unopened

skein, Yep love this yarn soft and squishy! I will post a pic after I block it. This is like the never ending shawl.... Yikes not really, but I thought I was done then changed my mind...... I just started it on the 16th so for a novice knitter it really isn't that bad so for the time being, we will spend evenings on the couch me and my shawl in progress. I have done it so much now I can read where my mistakes are that is good and bad.

Pam - I love cabled sweaters, it will be worth all the hard work you are doing! I can't wait to see it :) What yarn are you using?

I know, it should look good when I'm finally done (in the year 2012 sometime:D). I'm using the old tried-and-true Patons Classic Merino Wool, so that it will be nice and warm.

Thank you.

Nope Alpaca fingering Frog Tree brand.

My pics as yet are before blocking and aren't very clear pic here from the designers website show detail. scroll down the page.

I am addicted to lace this is only my 4th knitted thing ever( not counting dishcloths I use for practicing stitches) I have made............

one pair of socks, one cabled scarf, one lace scarf and this is # 4.

I got used to working with smaller stuff doing doilies with cotton thread

so this isn't that much different easier actually than size 20 thread!. I am using fingering weight so not much worse than using some of the baby yarns I have used in crochet.

Just like the cables learn the basics and go for it! PS no one told me I couldn't so I just did! I had someone say to me I was kitting for years and never tried _____ ( fill in the blank) I say why ?????????????? or better yet why not what is the worst that can happen??? It is all new to me ,so what better time to learn, than when I am learning and its's all new anyway? errors You BET! So What!!

I learn by doing it wrong usually first, then hopefully I get better.

You are so right with your last statement! I took a beginners knitting class and I taught myself the rest. Sock were my second project! I have yet to attempt lace, but I will soon!

Emilyann - Thank you for the link. What a beautiful pattern! I have played with the idea of a shawl but I'm not sure I would ever wear it. There are so many beautiful shawl patterns out there it is tempting...

PAM - Patons Classic Wool is actually my favorite wool to work with so far. I just wish the stores around here carried more colors. Michaels does have some very good clearance sales on it from time to time, I pick it for $2 a skein.

BTW I'm Brenda :)

morehotcoffee - What is your favorite sock yarn? I've only used "Happy Feet." Does your hubby know your working on a sweater for him? Mine always asks what are you working on...I would have to work on it when he's not home.

I have been trying each color of Red Heart's Heart and Sole. I love the stripping and pattern effects. I use it to make the ankle sock and one skien of yarn makes one pair. What is "Happy Feet" do you like it?

Yes, I tried making last years sweater when he wasn't home consequently, I had to wrap it for chritmas 3/4 of the way finished. This year I let him pick out the pattern and yarn and usually knit when he is either watching Nascar or football. Lol, when he isn't home, I am checking out the forums. I really need to finish his because I have made the tree of life sweater from Lion Brand and need to finish that one. Since you want a longer warm sweater, you may want to look at that. It uses 2 strands of yarn, fairly long (although I'm short so they are all long) It is a very pretty pattern. I like it so much I want to try the pattern in the blanket.

Denise - Here's a link to "Happy Feet" I bought it at a wool festival and really liked it. The color I used is # 14. The socks are very pretty. I've been looking at Red Hearts yarn for my next pair, I'm glad to hear how much you like it. Thanks for the Tree of Life tip, I will look that up on their site.

I"m using mauve and beige on the mosaic, but it is only a swatch to learn the technique. Now that I "get it" half is finished (I haven't had the time this week to sit and finish it--any time I've had a tool in my hand this week it has been a crochet hook because 1 of my students is working on a new pattern and requesting encouragement, more than help, cuz she certainly knows what she is doing now but of course we are our worst critics and she is a doubting doris....and I have a new student who is just now, after 2 lessons, really catching on and getting ready to make her first project.) Anyhow, I'm going to finish the mosaic this weekend with a little "me time" and what I plan to do is reverse direction of the first completed section. I wll post a pic when it is done, certainly. My next passion is to find a pattern (or make my own) for a Barbie dress done with fair isle technique on the skirt. I almost bought one on ebay just to have a prototype, but I think it would be more fun to do it on my own :).

I"m using mauve and beige on the mosaic, but it is only a swatch to learn the technique. Now that I "get it" half is finished (I haven't had the time this week to sit and finish it--any time I've had a tool in my hand this week it has been a crochet hook because 1 of my students is working on a new pattern and requesting encouragement, more than help, cuz she certainly knows what she is doing now but of course we are our worst critics and she is a doubting doris....and I have a new student who is just now, after 2 lessons, really catching on and getting ready to make her first project.) Anyhow, I'm going to finish the mosaic this weekend with a little "me time" and what I plan to do is reverse direction of the first completed section. I wll post a pic when it is done, certainly. My next passion is to find a pattern (or make my own) for a Barbie dress done with fair isle technique on the skirt. I almost bought one on ebay just to have a prototype, but I think it would be more fun to do it on my own :).

Wow can't wait to see

I haven't been brave enough to try color stranding or fair isle stuff that should be my next teach myself session!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello All - Works in Progress, I wish I could name them all. Fortunately they are mostly all for me so when they get done doesn't matter. But, I always have socks on the needles. I use many different sock yarns and have only just found Red Hearts Heart and Sole yarns. I have some Harry Potter Opals that I am working on that are just gorgeous though.

I am also working on a Shawler (from one of our Crochetville gals) for my mother for Christmas - and that should get finished up this evening. Boy is that going together well. And fast.

So, that's my story and I'm stickin' to it. LOL

Archived