First time crocheter - All I can do is sc!

GinnyB

it just takes some practice. I taught myself from a book. I can't knit to save my life though. I just received a baby blanket for our son due in Dec from a friend of the family, its all done in single crochet, but then she did a few rows of edging in the main color with Double Crochet, and then took a green and did two more rows of Double Crochet. Maybe by the time you get to the boarder you can use that stitch.

You took the words right out of my mouth! LOL! I too am a beginner and did a potholder edge the exact say way. The potholder itself is muticolor and I chose one of those colors to do the border. DC (Double Crochet) is the next stitch to learn anyway. ;)

welcome!.. the other stiches are not to far harder then the Single crochet.. If you have not yet Walmart has the Teach yourself to crohet book.> I got that n that was my starting point. There are so many great people here to help you along the way. before you know it you will be the one Giving help to others ;). stick it out and Welcome again to the ville.. If ya ever need anything feel free to PM me.

:welcome from Indiana! At least you have the sc down, its a start! I learned years ago when I was younger but didn't do much, then when I was pregnant with my son I couldn't work due to complications, so I took it up again. The baby blanket wasn't even big enough for a premi! I thought I was doing a sc but turned out I was doing ss all the way, and I had a lot of it done, my mother n law came over and laughed till her stomach hurt. She still doesnt let me live that down after 8 years. But now I make all sorts of stuff, and she even calls me sometimes when she gets stuck :lol. Good luck and welcome!:)

Welcome!

The easiest yarn to work with is either Red Heart Super Saver (washes up well and gets softer with easch washing) or a bulky yarn.

Welcome. I am mostly self-taught (from books, they didn't have internet when I was learning). Single crochet is a good place to start and is useful for many things. It also makes a nice border. I use it on most of my garment and scarves for stability. When edging in SC (or any other stitch) just remember to place 3 stitches into each corner. Also, a reverse SC is nice as an edging. You just do your SC from left to right -- if right handed. If left-handed work from right to left. Good Luck!

Hi and welcome from :welcome SCOTLAND you will soon be doing all sorts of pretty stitches Ginny , I am still learning but amazing how quick you can get hooked.

A lot of nice yarns now too.

:welcome from Indiana! At least you have the sc down, its a start! I learned years ago when I was younger but didn't do much, then when I was pregnant with my son I couldn't work due to complications, so I took it up again. The baby blanket wasn't even big enough for a premi! I thought I was doing a sc but turned out I was doing ss all the way, and I had a lot of it done, my mother n law came over and laughed till her stomach hurt. She still doesnt let me live that down after 8 years. But now I make all sorts of stuff, and she even calls me sometimes when she gets stuck :lol. Good luck and welcome!:)

What does SS stand for? :think

I think I've seen sl st as the norm for abbreviating the slip stitch, but ss can only mean that, too - IMO, anyway.:hook

My REAL opinion is: whatever works!

Sorry for the confusion, I never have liked to follow directions very much, so I try to make things as simple as possible :yes

Accuracy is only important in brain surgery:lol

Archived