First time crocheter - All I can do is sc!

GinnyB

My name is Ginny, I live in Scottsdale, AZ, and am a retired high school teacher. I took up crochet two weeks ago by going to a community college adult class. I've done some sewing but nothing complex and I'm not particularly dexterous. Finally got the hang of the chain stitch! Had to miss a class so I bought a crochet book and also found a youtube video. I think I've got the single crochet stitch. I'm working on a baby blanket for a grand-daughter due in December. It's all in single crochet so it's going to need a fancier edging to doll it up. If any of you have ideas for that which won't be beyond a beginner, let me know. Also, I've tried a couple of different kinds of yarn and found some are very hard to learn on. Any recommendations for yarn for beginners would be much appreciated.

Thanks for reading and being here.

Ginny

it just takes some practice. I taught myself from a book. I can't knit to save my life though. I just received a baby blanket for our son due in Dec from a friend of the family, its all done in single crochet, but then she did a few rows of edging in the main color with Double Crochet, and then took a green and did two more rows of Double Crochet. Maybe by the time you get to the boarder you can use that stitch.

Welcome to the 'ville!!!:hug

Here's a simple edging that you can do with all chains...count how many stitches you have on one side of the blanket and find a number that divides evenly in to it. For example if you have 150 sts, that will divide nicely by 5 so for that scenario, I'd chain about 8 or 9 then slip or sc into every fifth stitch.

Try a few chain loops like that to see how many chains makes a nice loop, the longer the chain, the more loopy the edging. Too long and the loops will curl.

:welcome from the Catskill Mountains of NY State

We all started the same way. It took me forever to learn how to go back after the chains in the foundation row so I had given it up when I was younger, just could not wrap my head around it I guess :bang when my grandmother tried to teach me. Now I wish I had learned from her, I would have been great by now, :hook She was a wonderful seamstress by trade, imagine the things she would have taught me if I was interested as a young girl.

But then, a couple of years ago, a neighbor gave me a CD called Learn to Crochet and voila I got it :idea

There are wonderful crochet videos on the internet and lots of help on this board as well as wonderful people to help you along the way.

Sit back and prepare to be amazed! :lol

Happy Crocheting :crocheting

You are all so wonderful! Thank you so much for your encouragement and good wishes...a clumsy beginner can sure use it! It's marvelous to read where everybody is from - makes me feel connected to the whole country (which we all need at times like these). I'll experiment with the edging mentioned and keep plugging away.

Thanks again to all. Ginny

Archived