Thread Crochet = Evil on a spool.

gothfaerie05

I'm not throwing in the towel, but this is me officially declaring that I believe everyone who participates in this pastime either a masochist or has way more of that virtue they call "patience" than I seem to possess.

Nonetheless, it IS pretty. And it seemed to me to be a good way to perfect my crocheting skills some more because if one does it sloppily it looks, well...you know. Sloppy.

Or maybe it's a patience exercize, like Origami, which I also happen to like. I once made a 6 inch long eastern dragon from a piece of cardstock that was about four feet by eight inches. It took me about two hours, yet it didn't seem like it until I looked at the clock.

Yup. I'm a masochist. Lol.

I, Like Kathy, LOVE my thread and agree yarn is absolute Torture. I do work with it, but have a very very hard time, I have alot of trouble seeing the stitches where in thread they are very easy to see. I don't mind working with the worsted weight cotton, but the fuzzy stuff, I truly believe was put on earth just to frustrate me!

LOL,

Toni

Another dedicated threadie here...

But yarn is not torture to me. I like crocheting with nice yarn. I even enjoyed crocheting with jute/twine. The only thing that I haven't been able to make myself enjoy is crocheting with plarn (yarn made from plastic bags). I don't really enjoy that, and even when I'm trying to make something very practical (basket for laundry pins), I can't make myself finish it. All plarn projects have turned into UFO's so far.

Please add me to the list of dedicated threadies. I enjoy working with the firmness of thread. Watching the texture of my stitches as they form the design gives me a lot of pleasure.

This does not mean that I don't drool over many afghan and sweater designs and gorgeous yarns. I have crocheted a lot with yarn in the past and may do so again. But I work more comfortably with thread.

• 2 weeks later...

Another thread lover here, too. When I'm not using it to make doll clothes or small hearts, I've found it really gives a classy trimmed look to baby blankets and doll clothes made from 3 and 4 ply yarns.:hook

I learned on thread and in a way it will always be a first love because of the memories. I like yarn to and enjoy a healthy mix of projects using both. :rabbit9

I also learned on thread, but love to do both. I like making afghans and doll clothes and have used both yarn and thread for both things. I love making clothes for my bear in thread. I have found out that I need to have a cushion on my medal hooks that make it easier to use the thread.

I love them both. If I'm feeling dainty, I'll use thread. If I'm interesting in finishing something fairly quick, I'll use yarn. I can crochet about 3 times as fast with yarn, but thread is more satisfying sometimes.

I love threads, all fine threads even nylons. But my favorites are 6 cord cottons and natural dye silk threads. Crochet with thread is actually an art (my opinion)

I like yarns if I am knitting with. There are gorgeous yarns looks even gorgeous when they knitted (again, my opinion)

Demet

I like going back and forth from yarn to thread. Like some others I got started out with thread so it will always be my first love, besides, I love the delicate and sophisticated appearance of certain things made with thread. I think because I have small hands and good "up-close" eyesight (I'm nearsighted...) for now that it's easier for me and I must take advantage of this while I can. I enjoy working with yarn too, especially if it's soft, have tried different textures for variety but with most it's been a "one-time deal". Like Krakovianka I find "plarn" difficult to work with. In the past few days I've had to force myself to do at least a row or two of a "cat mat" I started months ago just because I can't frog it as I'd never do anything else with it (as opposed to frogging something made out of yarn...), so despite my inclination to recycle it's a sure bet this is the only time I work with that!

Hey now I'd rather use thread than yarn. Much more portable and especially love to do pineapples. Have grandmothers antique patterns and love them....:manyheart

i agree rhonda

i switch easily between both. i like threadwork for the summer and yarn for the winter, but i never had a problem working with thread....

and yes i do large 20" diameter doiles, not just cup coasters. :flower

i do admit, you may needgood eyes, sometimes the work is small.

karen

I like both as well. I love the look of doilies. I just found a pattern book using three strands of sewing thread...has anyone worked with sewing thread? I'm anxious to try it.

Hope

I think I've finally found what to do with my thread. I was going to give it all away because I couldn't work with stitches that tiny but I read in another thread on here that someone was making a dishcloth out of thread and I thought hmmmmmm, interesting, so I googled to try to find a pattern for one and what came up was another thread from here. It was an original pattern posted here and in the thread someone else mentioned that they make dishcloths from 2 strands of thread and a larger hook. I tried 2 strands w/an E hook and I am able to work with that fairly easily, plus I like the dishcloths much better than the ones I've made with WW cotton. I might even try some doily patterns with 2 strands and see what I get! :hook

I like both as well. I love the look of doilies. I just found a pattern book using three strands of sewing thread...has anyone worked with sewing thread? I'm anxious to try it.

Hope

Funny you should mention that. I've had a 98% finished painted doily hanging around for a couple of months. I started the last row, almost immediately ran into an error, and knew I had to rip out a whole round. I've procrastinated about it for a LONG time, but just today, I finally frogged the round (I hate frogging 3 strands of sewing thread--very difficult, and I don't recommend it), reworked it correctly, and started again on the last round. I'm half-finished, and the next time we have sunshine, I'm going to finish it. (I can only crochet with the sewing thread in strong daylight.)

It's a big doily, destined to be framed, in sunset colors. I already have the frame, and plan to mount it against a yellow/gold background.

I've made a couple of painted doilies before, as have others--do a c'ville search for "painted doily" and see what you find.

I like crochet in any medium, thread or yarn, but of late I'm really lovin' my thread and tend to start another thread project as soon as one is finished. I don't think my husband bargained for a house full of crochet lace when he married me. I didn't think much of it myself back then, but... this is now, baby! :lol

Archived