What is freeform?

Jempast

To me, its crocheting without a pattern - whether the pattern is on paper or in your mind (because you've made it a zillion times & know it by memory). Basically, it's making something up as you go. I think. hehe

This site gives some excellent examples of freefirm crochet.

http://www.intff.org/pages/elementsmain.html

True Freeform crochet employs many different yarns and/or stitches to create a sort of "hodgepodge" look, but everything should work together to create a piece of art. No two are ever the same because there are no patterns, everything is random. There are stitches that are common to freeform, for example I see alot of the bullion stitch in freeform work, but it's not exclusive of that...

I know some people call simply working without a pattern freeform. But that's not really freeform... if that were the case then ALL crochet would be freeform since the original designer was working without a pattern to create the original design. To me working w/out a pattern is simply "winging it" or you could even call yourself a designer.

EDIT: I just wanted to add this link. It's an awesome freeform landscape:

FFL finished!

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

In freeform, do you crochet the pieces individually and then join up or do you have a 'base' crocheted and then crochet individual pieces on top? I quite fancy giving it a try sometime and wondered about this. Thanks in advance :)

In freeform, do you crochet the pieces individually and then join up or do you have a 'base' crocheted and then crochet individual pieces on top? I quite fancy giving it a try sometime and wondered about this. Thanks in advance :)

the whole idea in freeform is that there are no "rules" so you could do it however you like. I think starting with a base is not the most common approach, that most frequently separate pieces are crocheted. or start with one piece and then crochet out from that in other shapes (if that makes any sense:P).

have you looked at any of the freeform sites, or books?

One way is to have sort of a muslin template (or any other kind of material) to use as a pattern piece, like you would in sewing.

For example, you could use a sewing pattern for a vest, customized to wouldn't fit you perfectly. You could cut the pieces out of an inexpensive muslin or cotton fabric. As you work your freeform pieces, you would put them together so you'd end up with a piece the size of your template.

If you're using sewing patterns to do this, I'd recommend removing the seam allowance, since that generally wouldn't be needed the way crochet pieces are put together.

the whole idea in freeform is that there are no "rules" so you could do it however you like. I think starting with a base is not the most common approach, that most frequently separate pieces are crocheted. or start with one piece and then crochet out from that in other shapes (if that makes any sense:P).

have you looked at any of the freeform sites, or books?

Thanks for that I understand what you are saying - I wasn't sure about what to do if you wanted to do say a wall hanging. I think I'll do it with separate pieces and then join up :)

One way is to have sort of a muslin template (or any other kind of material) to use as a pattern piece, like you would in sewing.

For example, you could use a sewing pattern for a vest, customized to wouldn't fit you perfectly. You could cut the pieces out of an inexpensive muslin or cotton fabric. As you work your freeform pieces, you would put them together so you'd end up with a piece the size of your template.

If you're using sewing patterns to do this, I'd recommend removing the seam allowance, since that generally wouldn't be needed the way crochet pieces are put together.

thanks for that AmyS! - great idea - That would be a good way to do it for something to wear. :)

Archived