Do you ever feel like you have too many...

Patterns?

We're moving...again...and I'm packing up my patterns and books and as I was going through it I saw several I didn't even know I have and some I would love to start but have no time right now *gotta get Chritmas finished. Its almost overwhelming to have so many potential projects.

Anyone else?

I've been trying to "get" into my craft room. :lol It's getting to be a bit "overwhelming"!! :eek I thought I would put all of my patterns in 3-ring binders. While rummaging through my patterns, I found a file folder with patterns from 2004 and another file folder with patterns from 2005!! :eek :eek Plus all the patterns I have bought from Etsy, e-bay, etc, etc, etc. I can't even begin to count how many "sheet protectors" I have used for the patterns to put in the 3-ring binders(which I have to buy a couple more!! :lol). While putting the patterns in the sheet protectors, I'm looking at some of the patterns and asking myself, why did I ever download that pattern??:think I can only imagine what my DH is thinking. NO, maybe I don't want to imagine what he's thinking!!!!!!!:lol

I look at patterns as something that can inspire me and doesn't expire (tho it may go out of fashion for a while until it cycles back). I don't buy pattern books willy-nilly... there does have to be some items I really want in there. I also try to pick them up on sale instead of at full price. I don't feel one iota bad about having the books I have so far, and I don't think I will as long as I'm selective about my purchases. :manyheart

Hi I'm Jenn and my patterns and yarn are my downfall. Have to admit I don't have musch of a stash though...all fits in one 18 gal tote with most of it blue acrylic from a coworker and some cotton I like to keep handy for quick gifts.

Most of the patterns I DO have, have been downloaded off the internet. So I tend to have most of my patterns on CD's or in file folders on the computers in the house. So they don't take up a whole lot of room.

I DO have one 3-ring binder and 3 crochet books, though. I only just got 2 of those books yesterday, however.

I have mostly magazines,a few books. some I have in sheet protecters, and some in a file organizer.I have a small amount right now so its not to overwhelming. I do have many many many links saved, or pdf files saved on my computer, so many projects, so little time.

I wish I could get used to and be happy with just saving patterns on my computer, but I always feel the need to have them printed out and in front of me. I have a ton of patterns from the internet, alot of them are in 3-ring binders (but I need more binders). I also have a few leaflets and catalog type books as well as magazines. I know I need to just stop looking for patterns because I would need two lifetimes to make all that I have now, but I see a new one and just can't help myself. I know I have to do some serious reorganization. Oh well, at least my yarn is pretty well organized.

The majority of my crochet patterns are freebies that I have downloaded from the net. My yarn stash is in boxes with a list that goes with each box and I mark off what I use. Now my cross stitch patterns.....one subscription I have every issue since 1979 and they are still appearing every other month in the mailbox! LOL My DH tells me the day I die, everything crafty is going out on the curb for the trashmen to pick up! I told him if he did that he was a D*** fool because he could make some money selling it on ebay! He just doesn't get it!!!:think

I decided that for all my pattern booklets and leaflets and even magazines, that I will scan them into my computer and put them on CDs or Pen Drives with a spreadsheet that lists out where everything is. (this is a MAJOR Undertaking - for the winter months) Then I can Destash my books and make room for new ones.

I have most of my patterns on my computer. I have them organized by the type of pattern.(crochet,knit or loom) then separated by category (clothing, purses & handbags etc)

I have a stack of patterns that are printed and they are in a file box. I have a few books and leaflets as well.

I tend to download the free patterns even I don't care for them. I figure somewhere down the road I might actually know someone who would like it.

My plan is to print them out when I need them - make notes on them (especially if a pattern has an error, etc.) then rescan it back into the computer and recycle the paper - Using the back side to print another pattern.

That way I have the original pattern scanned, the one with my notes scanned and I will have recycled the paper.

That's the plan so far.

Hello, my name is Melissa, and I am a pattern addict, too. :)

Sometimes if I am too tired to crochet, I will just sit and look through my patterns. I have a binder with yarn patterns, one with thread patterns, and a BIG one with only doily patterns. Not to mention several books with patterns, such as SNB.

I have two huge binders at home full of patterns that I printed off the internet. When I first learned to crochet (alittle over a year ago) I went NUTS printing patterns. I have yet to make one item from those patterns...but I keep telling myself that I will...I also keep printing more! I actually need ANOTHER binder!

I have tons of free patterns saved on the computer, magazines, and books/leaflets. There's no way I'll make all I have and no way I need more. But they keep making more so I keep buying more. :lol Same thing with yarn. I have a lot and I don't need more but they keep making more. Somebody has to buy these things and keep these people in business! (that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it) :lol

That's a great idea to keep them in files on your computer. I have the hard copy patterns a lot because I like to take them with me but I guess I could just print the one that I'm going to be working on. But then what do you do with the print out?

That's precisely why I DO have one 3-ring binder. I keep the "want-to-makes" on the computer, and when I get to the "actually-making", I put it in sheet protectors and pop it in the binder.

The next time I'm looking to start a project, I check the binder first to see if I have an appropriate pattern already printed out. If I don't, then I check my files. If I don't have one there, either, then I start searching online.

I'm *very* nervous about only keeping the patterns I've found that I love on the computer, since I've not too long ago lost a LOT of information and artwork due to a computer crashing on me. I cried :cry Now I have an external hard drive, but I also print out my patterns for my own peace of mind. I need a better plan to organize them tho, they're currently all in an XL ziploc bag all jumbled together :rolleyes

Darsa - that is why I like the pen drives - they are inexpensive and can be stored in a ziplock bag with a print out of what is on the drive. I believe some of them can also be protected so items cant be deleted, etc without a password.

There's no such thing as too many patterns - I don't buy 'patterns' or 'books' anymore, I just stock up on my inspiration mechanism!! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived