Julie

[ENDED] Crochetville Doily Swap - LAST DAY to mail your doily IS TODAY!!

281 posts in this topic

I have a pattern for a 12 inch square, so hopefully my partner will like one that size and shape...of course if they don't want that, I guess I have to go shopping for...MORE PATTERNS!!! :devil

Kathy

Me, me, me, me!!:jumpyay:jumpyay:jumpyay:jumpyay This will be my first swap and I'm so excited! (I hide it well, don't I :D).

Can I send out multiple doilies but receive only one? I have lots of doilies/patterns stacked up. Will it be okay to send out stuff I made a time ago? It's unused, only waiting for a loving home....But I'd love the excuse to make more too...:hook:hook:hook

I've filled in the survey, by the way. :)

So we are doing one doily for one person and that is it? Or are we sending 2 or 3 over the course of 50 days? Sorry I want to join and I found a pattern that I can understand, I wanted to make sure.

Also how do I know if I want to do under or above 8"? I looked at the pattern and it looks bigger than 8" but it doesnt give exact unless I am missing it?

Ideally speaking we are only doing a doily for one person. I'm still a little torn on that. In a few days I'll post a little poll question and see what everyone thinks about it, but want to give more people time to sign up first.

Somewhere on the pattern it should state how large the doily will be when finished. I know I've stumbled across a few online that don't specify. I'd select the "either one is fine" to be safe, and then I'd pair you up with someone who selected the same choice.

Can I send out multiple doilies but receive only one? I have lots of doilies/patterns stacked up. Will it be okay to send out stuff I made a time ago? It's unused, only waiting for a loving home....But I'd love the excuse to make more too...:hook:hook:hook

;) I hadn't thought of that one either. We can work something out if you want but usually you would only get the address of the person you are swapping with, not the whole list. You could also sign up for the RAOKs too, and RAOK people with doilies that are just waiting to be adopted. :D

You could also sign up for the RAOKs too, and RAOK people with doilies that are just waiting to be adopted.

I have signed up for the RAOKs, and have been checking. I guess I should look for people asking for "handmade" and "homemade" stuff...:think:think in general or doilies in particular.

I haven't made a doily in so long this might be the :kick I need to get to making some more.

I filled out the survey and chose the smaller one since I want to be able to finish before the deadline and am not sure if I can finish a larger one.

Edit: I may switch to the larger doily if I can find one that isn't too large, I'll let you know.

I've changed my mind, I found a large doily I really like, put me down for a large.

:frog

I have signed up for the RAOKs, and have been checking. I guess I should look for people asking for "handmade" and "homemade" stuff...:think:think in general or doilies in particular.

Swapnae I think anyone would love ANYTHING crocheted....even if they arent a big time "user" of doilies...for the simple fact..its handmade, crocheted more specifially, and art is art, right???? :hug

I've been pouring over doliy patterns like a mad woman LOL!!!:D

LOL, there are quite a few people who have doilies on their lists! I myself am not a threadie but absolutely love doilies - you can be sure I'll be following this thread to see what doilies people make/recevie! :)

A friend of mine gave me a bunch of old craft magazines. Some are craft, some crochet specific, some knit/crochet. I found a doily pattern from an April, 1986 issue of one of them and am trying it.

How are we to mail the doilies? Rolled in a tube? Flat with cardboard to protect?

I am trying to determine which mailing address to use, and this might help me decide! I have my US PO Box address which accepts anything that can be stuffed inside an Airborne Express bag to be re-mailed to me, or my address in Belgium which results in more expensive postage costs - if I can make it cheaper for the wonderful person who get my name, I would like to do so! :)

Perhaps those with special mail needs could specify that they need the item to fit a certain size package:mail such as a large mailing envelope or shortened paper towel roll. How would you normally ship a doily, anyway? Stiffened and rolled over something, or do you mail them 'soft' and the reciever stiffen them? It's so damp right now I could starch something to death and it still wouldn't stand up straight.

Kathy in coastal NC...who's about to get violent on a :frog if he doesn't get on down the road and out of my pond...that sucker is LOUD and I don't need a reminder of what I did all day, frogged a dishcloth 3 times!

Shipping large doilies is definitely a consideration. I just sent a 22" one wrapped around a gift wrap tube in a poster mailer and it arrived okay. It wasn't stiffened of course, just blocked. Sending overseas in a poster mailer might be hard - I know the cheaper postage rates for Global Priority are for the flat mailers. I've used those before too, just stuck a piece of cardboard in the envelope with the doily to keep it flat... it's an option. Maybe check with the post office for a suggestion on how to package them to ship overseas. :think

I too have been pouring over my pattern books. I haven't made a doily for a while. Should be fun to do this. I don't plan on shipping stiffened, just blocked. Hope that will be okay? We live in such a damp climate I rarely stiffen anything as it doesn't hold up well. I just block them and they do fine.

Would it be ok to just block a doily and mail it off in an envelope? I'm thinking cardboard and stuff would raise the postage costs.... still:think

There's always the option of folding the doily neatly and shipping it in a 6"x9" envelope. The person receiving the doily could easily steam block (or fully block) it if desired upon arrival. This would help reduce shipping costs as well. Just my :2cent

Side Note: I never starch my doilies; I've always left them soft. Blocking is all I've done with them. If you look at most homes with doilies, the doilies are soft.

I'm hoping someone will be here to talk me thru blocking and starching if I have to do that...the only doily I ever made I left soft I think...that was when the kids were little, and I didn't keep sharp objects around.

Kathy

Okay. :wink So far I have four doily patterns picked out. Is it the 26th yet???? :yay :yay :yay :yay Can hardly wait to find out who my partner is and what they might be wanting.

I've always just blocked mine too, I prefer to leave them soft.

I think blocking them and sending them is the best way.

Julie, where's the button? ;)

Julie, where's the button? ;)

I'm working on it, I'm working on it! :wink It'll probably be sometime tomorrow before I get it posted. And that being said, I posted on my blog tonight about our ISP switch yesterday, which has caused all kinds of problems today. HOPEFULLY we have it fixed and working now, but if I seem to disappear for longer than usual don't worry, I'll be back. Just know that I'm yelling at ISP tech support people and threatening to switch back to the old (but still unsatisfactory) service. :rant

I looked at the other doily pattern book Walmart had, but didn't like the patterns. So, hopefully my partner will like the one I have. Also bought some :hook. Got a set with 0. 1, 7, 8, 9, and 10 and then got loose hooks in sizes 00, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6. Hopefully this will take care of any gauge issues I have. The pattern calls for 'bedspread weight cotton thread (size 10)' PLEASE tell me thats the same as Aunt Lydia's Classis Crochet Thread size 10 or South Maid Crochet Thread size 10, because for some strange reason I have stocked up on that stuff. Have green, red, blue, red/white/blue and some ecru or cream...hope my partner likes one of the above colors, or it's off to Walmart again. (not that I don't go every week for general shopping anyway).

Kathy

Just breath, that's the right kind of thread. Sounds like you have the hook market cornered too :D I'm jealous, I only have 1 steel... :lol

Okay, time to go a froggin'... :frog

I'd love to do this! It will be my first swap. Can't wait. :clap

I just bought the same set losingmymind just bought so I'd have good steel hooks to work with.

I've started a doily in Aunt Lydia's big ball in ecru. I loved the pattern even though I was actually looking for a pineapple pattern to do when I found it. It's really pretty and should work up fairly quickly for one bigger than 8".

That was also what I was looking for, one that would work up fairly quickly cause I knew I would be frogging and I did several times before I got to row 7 but now it's going really well.

At least ecru shoudl go with just about any decor, I might splurge on some colors and make a couple of doilies.

Finally, the button is added to the first post of this thread. :)