the dread number 13

ChrisCrossCrafts

Question

I was also born (6 weeks premature) on Friday the 13th, turned 13 on Friday the 13th, had my prom on Friday the 13th (where I met my husband) moved in with him on Friday the 13th, and my birthday this year is friday the 13th (february) so Friday the 13th is may favorite holiday!

Number 13 doesn't bother me.

I stayed in a hotel in Chicago (for a buyer's market) and stayed on the 14th floor which in reality was the 13th floor because they "don't have a 13th floor"(they go from the 12th floor and count the next floor as the 14th floor). The person who I went with stayed on the 9th floor because they knew that the hotel did that (they had stayed there before and found this out years before) and they didn't want to stay on the "13th floor". It didn't bother me. I guess it bothers a lot of people.

I've never felt numbers were lucky or unlucky.

But the ladder part is stuck in my head now, lol. There's a pattern called Jacob's Ladder isn't there? Would it be unlucky to use the pattern as a blanket? Or a wall hanging?

Would be fun to make a superstition/Halloween blanket with some of these in there - black cat, 13, ladders, umbrellas in a house, spilled salt....

I consider the number 13 to be lucky, I love black cats (and dogs) and ladders only scare me when I go up them.

There has to be a reason to be leery of something, not just because it's some tradition or someone else said so. That's how I work anyways.

sore

That said, if I ever see a pattern that starts off "Chain 666," I'd run like the wind! :-)

me too :yes

The thing about 13 has never even crossed my mind until now. I guess it wouldn't bother me since I never thought of it.

Number 13 doesn't bother me.

I stayed in a hotel in Chicago (for a buyer's market) and stayed on the 14th floor which in reality was the 13th floor because they "don't have a 13th floor"(they go from the 12th floor and count the next floor as the 14th floor). The person who I went with stayed on the 9th floor because they knew that the hotel did that (they had stayed there before and found this out years before) and they didn't want to stay on the "13th floor". It didn't bother me. I guess it bothers a lot of people.

The first apartment my husband and I had was on the 14th (really 13th) floor of a converted hotel.

almost 18 years and two kids later it has proved to be a lucky start for us!:manyheart

I am not superstitious at all. I have a black cat who is like 7 years old now. If there is anything I believe is bad luck, it was being born into the family which I was born into.

I love the number 13! My birthday is on a 13 and is even a palindrome 313 in fact I start the palindrome parade in our family my eldest nephew is 414 his brother is 616 and my dad is 818 cool right? Oh and I am a Monday baby but I had a great-aunt that was a Friday 13 and she lived to be 91 and had a very full and rich life. In fact I like to think that my crochet gene came directly from her! :D

I personally love the number 13 - and the number 3 as well. I loved it so much that in my younger much wilder days I got my left ear pierced 13 times and my right 3 times...

I probably would have pierced my right ear more but I sleep on that side :D

When I design I don't think about certain numbers being lucky or unlucky. I don't avoid stopping a stretch of worked even rows on round 13. If that is where I think it needs to be then that is were it will be... no different than stopping on round 12 and then starting off your next step with round 13 if you ask me....

Although after reading this and designing my latest today I was stopping on 13 and this thread popped in to my mind.... I stopped on round 13 anyway ;)

the number 13 doesn't bother me... but I've known ppl who won't buy a really exceptional heifer from my dad, simply cause her eartag # was 13....

I have no problem with the number 13. It is my favorite number. I was born on November 13. I consider 13 my lucky number. I LOVE Friday the 13ths and there are THREE of them this year.

I am even flying on Friday 13 this year - in February.

*LOL*@ chain 666.

Theres a giant 13 on the mountain in front of my house. Its just the way the plants and stuff grew. As soon as the sun comes up, Ill post a pic.

I dont see 13 as an unlucky number, I was actually thinking about it for my jersey number.

I would say that if you are designing a pattern to sell for profit, then you should try to avoid it. Like others have said, some people might be leary of it and you don't want to automatically decrease your potential sales.

If it's just a pattern for yourself or to give away, I say go with whatever works best.

That said, if I ever see a pattern that starts off "Chain 666," I'd run like the wind! :-)

:rofl Love the black cat! :rofl

I don't have any problems with many of the superstitions BUT I do know people that do. I would definitely say that a pattern of repeated 13's or that ends on 13 would cause some people to steer clear. Not me, but there are some...:devil

Archived