Felting experiments...

Crochetnut59

I have been experimenting with alot of different wools and blends. Lamb's Pride turns out fuzzy, but I used a razor and shaved it :devil, that took care of the fuzzys and no it wont hurt the purse unless you shave too close :D . I am now using Jamieson's Shetland DK, not sure how that will felt yet. I used Galway, its nice and not fuzzy. Also working with Cascade 220 and Pastanza not sure how they will felt yet. Also got a purse working with some Jo Sharp and Galway mixed... should be interesting. I guess I will be spending my weekend off trying to get them all felted. Anyway ,,, I learned a good lesson on felting ... always use a pillow case :eek. I didnt the first time and I had fuzz everywhere! I've made purses using double crochets and also single crochets and I like them both. I think it depends on the bag style. The double crocheted one shrunk more vertical than horzontal. The single one shrunk pretty even, it seems like all of them shrunk about 25 - 40%. My average felting time is between 20 and 30 mins. I use single stand most of the time unless the yarn is fine then I use double. I am a tight crocheter so I have to use a J or K hook or larger to make it loose enough. Im going to try and post some pictures soon. I wish I had taken some before pics though. I think I finally got the shrinkage sizing worked out. I dont follow patterns :blush , I usually just look at a knitted one and make me one like it in a crocheted pattern.

Kelli..........:)

Thanks for the info. I haven't ventured to attempt felting, yet, but I'm sure I will before long! I look forward to seeing pics of your projects.

Wow, thanks for the tidbits...so far I've used Paton's Merino, Knit Picks Merino Style, and Cascade 220. All turned out nicely but were fuzzy. Let us know how the others turn out!

I havent used Patan's yet. But I did order some "Wool of the Andes" to try. I just love felting/fulling. It has inspired me to crochet more.:clap I also have some Japanese wool, its pretty lightweight, not sure if I will felt it. It is super soft so it might not do too well. Has anyone tried felting yarns that have something else besides Wool and wool blends in them? If so what was your experience?

Has anyone tried felting yarns that have something else besides Wool and wool blends in them? If so what was your experience?

You can only felt natural animal fibers like wool... You will get some fulling out of alpaca, but forget trying if you're using cotton, linen or acrylics.

You can only felt natural animal fibers like wool... You will get some fulling out of alpaca, but forget trying if you're using cotton, linen or acrylics.

And don't try chiengora (dog) -- it doesn't full, either. :)

Reason I asked is because one of the yarns I am using is Galway Colornep It is 95% wool and 5% acrylic. If I remember right, I think someone told me that as long as it had atleast 85% wool or some sort of wool blend it would felt, as long as it wasnt the washable wool. The label says hand wash cold water, lay flat to dry, do not machine wash or dry. Guess I will find out soon. I should probably follow directions and do a test felt :blush . But I never do I just kind of crochet and felt by the seat of my pants :devil I just like experimenting - guess I shoulda been a mad scientist :lol . So far Ive been lucky :yay

Kelli

Dont try using any sort of Machine washable yarn either as it is beaten to death before it is spun, so it will never matt together.:eek :eek :eek

Remember how we have always been very careful hand washing our knitteds because we dont want them to shrink, now here we are talking about shrinking on purpose.

I cant quite get my head around crocheting something by hand then beating it about to hide the beautiful stitches .:think :think :think

Why dont you just buy some felted fabric to make your purse?:think :think :think

Am I missing something or is it just because I am oldfashioned?:think :think :think

I know felting is an old art but WHY??? do it?:think :think :think

I guess if you enjoy it , that is a good enough reason.

Have fun.

Colleen:cheer :cheer :cheer

I cant quite get my head around crocheting something by hand then beating it about to hide the beautiful stitches .:think :think :think

Why dont you just buy some felted fabric to make your purse?:think :think :think

Using felted fabric isn't quite the same thing -- when you crochet or knit something up, say using a variegated yarn or using multiple colors, it has a very different look after fulling than if you had purchased felted fabric and stitched something up.

It is fun, and it's interesting because you can't exactly guess how it is going to come out, even when you swatch it up.

Plus, sometimes I like to full to a point where it's somewhere in the middle -- you can make out the stitches a little, but it's also fulled and fuzzy. Plus, it makes the fabric more durable. My first finished crochet item (as an adult) was a bag, but it stretched horribly (even though it was lined). I made a second one much later and fulled it, and it doesn't stretch at all.

Some of my fulled items:

bag 1

bag 2

bag 3

[and yes, it's fun! you should try it sometime, just for fun. :) ]

Xantha,

I agree that your bags are beautiful but, me being lazy, I would use a fluffy yarn and brush it with a soft wire brush to create a similar effect.:cheer :cheer

I suppose I remember the old days of making things which eventually shrank and did not fit anymore but I guess when you are making something to felt, you would make it bigger.:think :think

It would certainly stop any stretching.

Who knows, I might give it a go some day.:think :think

I have some beautiful autumn colours on Handspun yarn, which I made more than 10yrs ago and it would felt beautifully. You may have planted a seed.:hug

Keep up the beautiful work.

I have not worked out how to get pictures onto here yet so I enjoy everyone elses.

Have fun.

Colleen.:hug

Archived