Second opinion on design concept: Flower capelet

gothfaerie05

What do you think of this design concept?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of this design concept?

• Weird
    • Cool
    • Could be cool, but would use different color(s)
    • Want to see sketch before answering

Question

I'm thinking about designing a capelet/shawl type thing that looks like a flower. I have some red heart super saver yarn I've been using (pale yellow, rose pink, coffee) that I initially intended to make a blanket from, but in looking at the color combination, I thought it would be a good basis for a capelet.

So I set about sketching an idea onto the back of a bookmark because it's what's handy at my desk. I ended up with a 7-petal flower with wide, pointed petals that starts at the center with coffee, changes to yellow, then to rose pink, then to a darker pink used for a border.

I only have one problem: Besides the fact that I haven't even started to design this thing yet, I need a second opinion. I love crocheting, but taking into consideration my age (I'm 21) and style, I try to be careful not to wander too far into the realm of the kitchy. Old-fashioned is okay as long as it still turns out elegant and is adaptable to today's fashions, and I'm open to new and interesting things, I just don't want to start on a project thinking it will be good and have it end up an eyesore.

(I've had this happen twice so far...I made a stuffed earthworm that I think is awesome and everyone else thinks is mostly just ambiguous, and I started making a baby blanket for a friend's 1-year-old daughter but stopped when I decided it looked like a bag of skittles threw up in a pattern. The latter actually took up a LOT of time, and I still haven't finished it. I'm likely to scan the squares I do have done and ask around about whether it's horrible.)

So here's my question to you, my fellow crocheters: Do you think a brown, yellow, and pink capelet designed like a flower and colored as described above would be weird, or cool?

14 answers to this question

The concept sounds really neat. I can see using the yellow and rose, unsure about the coffee color. Voted okay different colors only because of being unsure about the use of the coffee color.

Alright, there seems to be a lot of people interested in seeing the sketch. I'll put a couple of sample strands of yarn next to it in the scanner and see where I get from there...

Nothing wrong with kitschy. I love kitschy. There is a pattern from the 60s or 70s for a doll poncho that looks like a petal flower. It is done in yellow and orange, I believe. Make what you want and ove what you make. Fortunately, others will too and those that don't? They don't have to wear it, buy it, etc. Go for it. If you absolutely hate it, all you've lost is time....frog it and make something else with the yarn. Many a great idea is born of trial and error. I think its fabulous that you're creative--don't doubt yourself, and go for it!

LOVE the flower capelet idea! I'm unsure about the colors~just because I can't picture it~which isn't your fault~LOL! (((((HUGS))))) sandi

The concept sounds really neat. I can see using the yellow and rose, unsure about the coffee color. Voted okay different colors only because of being unsure about the use of the coffee color.

hard to picture it, I'd ned to see the sketch

I voted that I want to see a sketch, but I think the color combo would be great!

Kris

I'm trying to picture this...you mean that your head comes out of the center of the flower and the petals are the cape? If so I think that would be an adorable idea for a child's capelet, not sure about an adult.

Alright, I scanned a sample of the yarn and the sketch I made. Let's see if that helps.

And yeah, it would be adorable for a child's capelet, actually. :-)

capelet_sketch.JPG

thumbnail_-_yarn_colors.JPG

Sorry for the crappy quality on the drawing...I made it smaller than I meant to when editing it because I forgot what zoom I had on, and I was entirely too lazy to re-edit it, so I just enlarged it again.

capelet_sketch.jpg

Nothing wrong with kitschy. I love kitschy. There is a pattern from the 60s or 70s for a doll poncho that looks like a petal flower. It is done in yellow and orange, I believe. Make what you want and ove what you make. Fortunately, others will too and those that don't? They don't have to wear it, buy it, etc. Go for it. If you absolutely hate it, all you've lost is time....frog it and make something else with the yarn. Many a great idea is born of trial and error. I think its fabulous that you're creative--don't doubt yourself, and go for it!

:-) Thanks so much. That's a really great insight.

I can't wait to see your sketch, but the links aren't working :(? Can you repost them??

Thanks!

Kris

That's weird, it shows up for me...ô_O I can post the regular links and see if that works.

Capelet sketch: http://www.angelfire.com/goth2/psychopixie/capelet_sketch.JPG

Yarn colors sample: http://www.angelfire.com/goth2/psychopixie/thumbnail_-_yarn_colors.JPG

That's weird, it shows up for me...ô_O I can post the regular links and see if that works.

<a href="http://www.angelfire.com/goth2/psychopixie/capelet_sketch.JPG">capelet sketch </a>

<a href="http://www.angelfire.com/goth2/psychopixie/thumbnail_-_yarn_colors.JPG">yarn colors sample</a>

:thinkTHAT DOESNT SEEM TO BE WORKING EITHER

:thinkTHAT DOESNT SEEM TO BE WORKING EITHER

Hmm. I edited that post when I figured out the HTML tags do not work on here. :-! But if you paste the links into your address bar, you should be able to see the pics.

Archived