Church on Sunday – 14” CPK baby.

darski

Church on Sunday 14” CPK baby. :pinterest

For those of us who remember when gentlemen wore their hats to church and could leave them on an open shelf in the vestibule :sigh

post-4896-135897741184_thumb.jpg

The Pants…

post-4896-135897741198_thumb.jpg

With blue and 5.mm hook begin by working the leg sections and have an elastic waistband ready…

Legs, do not break off after 2nd leg is made.

Ch 23 and join

Rows 1- 5: Work 23 dc around

Row 6: Work 2 increases on opposite sides of leg. (25dc)

Torso portion…

T Row 1: Align the two legs and join with 6 sc, ch 1. (Note that you are now at the Centre Front of the pants) Begin working in dc around the leg sections, Put the first dc in the same stitch as the sc join.

It might be helpful here to go to the back to Mark out your increase stitches. Put markers in the stitches that are 7 from the Centre Back join on both sides.

Dc to your first marker… work [2dc, 1dc, 2dc, 1dc, 2dc, 1dc, 2dc] in the seven stitches, work (dc, tr, dc) into the CB join, work [ ] again then continue in dc to beginning of row being sure to put stitch in sc-joined stitch on this side, join.

Row T2: work in dc with an increase in each dc from your (dc, tr, dc)below. I.E. work (2dc in dc, dc in tr, 2dc in dc)

Row T4-T6: work evenly in dc

Row T7: work a row of sc around an elastic waistband. Join. Break off and tidy all ends

The Suit Jacket…

post-4896-135897741188_thumb.jpg

Row 1: With blue and 5.mm hook ch 52, dc in 4th ch from hook and across. (50 dc)

Rows 2 - 6: dc evenly (50hdc)

It might be helpful here to mark the 13th stitch from each end. These are the stitches that will be skipped for sleeves as you work your back and fronts.

Row 7: Divide for fronts, back and sleeves…

Dc in 12 and turn.

Row 8: Dc in 9, dc dec, dc in last.

Row 9: dc in 1st, dc dec, dc in 8

Continue to row 12… working the front with the decreases at front edge until you have 7 stitches in the row. Break off and secure leaving a long tail for sewing the shoulder seam later.

Return to where you worked Row 7 of the front. Skip one stitch for the sleeves and work 24 dc for the back section .

Work these 24 stitches evenly to row 12.

Row 13: Dc in 6, hdc in 3, sc in 6, hdc in 3, dc in last 12. Break off and secure.

Remember to skip that one stitch for the sleeve section and work the last front section as a mirror of the first one.

Sew the shoulder seams together then work sleeves in dc around the sleeve openings. I started the sleeves with a row of sc first because I find that they are better at getting an even start.

Go to the Centre Back of the Jacket hem and work a row of sc edging around the entire jacket.. Because this suit is for a boy, work your buttonholes in the left front section as you work around the jacket.

The Shirt with attached tie…

post-4896-135897741195_thumb.jpg

I did not work sleeves for this shirt because I think they might make it harder for little ones to get the jacket on. (I realize that this probably looks like I am just making this up about little ones dressing the doll because I hate sleeves. Although it is true that I hate making sleeves, it really is about the little ones this time… no really, honestly) :lashes:

:wlol

Row 1: ch 24 and work across the chain with 2hdc in 1 and hdc in next (35 hdc)

Row 2: hdc in 5, ch1, hdc in 7, ch 1, hdc in 11, ch 1, hdc in 7, ch1, hdc in 5. (35 hdc and 4 ch 1 spaces)

Row 3-6: hdc in hdc and V-st (hdc, ch 1, hdc) in ch 1 space. (I had 62 hdc stitches at the end of row 6 – consider that a ballpark figure :wlol )

Row 7: dc up to and into the 1st ch 1 space, skip to next ch 1 space and dc across front up to and into the ch 1 space, skip to next ch 1 space and dc to end.

Row 8: Dc in every dc. Break off and tidy all ends.

Collar… work the collar after you sew on the tie.

Return to neck edge - left back side.

FPsc around the neck edge but work sl st in the 2 sts over the tie. Note these 2 sl sts.

You will work around the neck edge in hdcs in the post stitches with increases as necessary . Mark out the front 8 stitches. In these stitches work [dc, 2dc in next, ch2, sl st in next 2, ch 2 2dc in next, dc in next] return to hdc and increase as necessary to keep the collar flat. Break off and secure and tidy all ends.

The tie… start with a long tail to be used for sewing the tie to the shirt front.

Ch 2, 3hdc in the 2nd ch from hook

->Sc in each hdc. Turn (4 sc)

->Sc in 2nd sc and sc in next, turn.(2sc)

->2 dc in each sc (4dc)

->1 dc in each dc (4dc)

->hdc in 1st dc, [2dc in next] twice, hdc in last. Break off and tidy away ends.

Use the long tail from the beginning to sew the tie to the shirt front. In order to get the ‘tie’ effect I did most of the stitching over the point just below the “knot” after securing the top securely.

I did not put any buttons or closures on this shirt as it just stays in place anyway and it saved some bulk in the back.

Dress shoes …

post-4896-135897741193_thumb.jpg

With black WW yarn and 5mm hook ch 5

Row 1: 3hdc in 2nd ch from hook, hdc in next 2, 5hdc in last chain. Hdc in next 2, 2 more hdc in beginning stitch, join.

Row 2: 2hdc in 1st 2 sts, hdc in 4, 2 hdc in next 5 sts, hdc in 3, 2 hdc in last st.

Row 3: Put the sole good side down. And work a FPsc in every stitch around, join and turn.

Row 4: Work hdc dec in first two stitches then work around in hdc.

Row 5-6: Work 2 more rows evenly in hdc

Row 7: work in hdc with 5 decreases across the front section.

The Fedora…

post-4896-135897741182_thumb.jpg

I used some grey RH WW yarn and a 5mm hook. The ‘hat band’ is worked in the same yarn as the suit.

Ch 8…

Row 1: 3 hdc in 2nd ch from hook, hdc in next 2, sc in 3, 5 sc in last chain. Sc in 3, hdc in 2, 2 more hdc in beginning stitch..

Row 2: 2 hdc in 3, hdc in 1, sc in 5, 2 sc in 3, hdc in 2, 2 hdc in last.

Row 3: Work around the row in hdc working [2hdc in 1, hdc in next] as needed to get around the ends so they stay flat.. I have 34 hdc at this point… as long as you are close, you are fine.

Row 4: work in hdc and increase only as needed to stay flat.

Row 5: work evenly in hdc. (no increases)

Row 6: (understand that your rows are beginning near the back of the hat…) Work row in hdc and increase by 2 stitches at the back.

Rows 7-10: work evenly in hdc.

Row 11: Work [FP sc in 1, 2 FPsc in next] around hat to form brim.

Rows 12 – 13: work evenly in hdc.

Row 14: determine your Centre Front Stitch so that you can form your point there.

Hdc around working increases only as needed to keep the brim flat and working [hdc, dc] then [dc, hdc] on either side of CF stitch to form point. Break off and tidy all ends.

post-4896-135897741179_thumb.jpg

The hat band… work one row of stitches in surface crochet as found at this link…

http://www.geocities.com/mwillsondesigns/SlipStitch/slipstitch.html

Now, the awful truth is that this hat does not want to stay on my little guy’s bald head but it sure is cute when it does sit there for the picture. :wlol

Copyright: Darlene Cutler - 2008

I do not have a problem with people/groups using my patterns to make a little extra money by physically making them and selling the items they make.

However, I do not permit the selling of my patterns for money. I have once given permission for a booklet to be made of them for a charitable sale and I may do so again *if I am asked* and if it is for a church, charity or school type group. But first you have to ask.

Furthermore, If you choose to use my patterns as a money maker, I do not permit my images to be used for any advertizing of your work. You must make your own item and photograph that. These images are as much a part of my Web image as a designer as the patterns are and I reserve that use to myself alone.

post-4896-135897741118_thumb.jpg

post-4896-135897741191_thumb.jpg

Oh I love this. We have a small community church here, a number of ladies walk to church on Sunday morning in their Sunday best, and their stunning matching hats!!!

I also work in a bank, and I have noticed that the older generation still dresses up to make their weekly trip to the bank. I really enjoy that.

Thank you for posting your doll.

Michele

How gorgeous.

It is great to see some designs for the boy dolls - my nieces keep telling me that they get sick of dressing Grandma's Doll,which has short hair, and that they have decided is a boy - in dresses - They want some pants, so I had better get busy.

You truly are a wonder, and to share your wonderful patterns with the rest of us, you are just remarkable. Thanks Again

Very cute! I love the hat and the tie! I had an uncle that wore a hat just like that. I remember him so vividly, he always wore one. He had a nice one for church and another for every day and he always had his pipe.....

Ahhhhhhh, I remember, and their shirts were always WHITE (before button down collars) and ironed. I always felt so special when they tipped their hat and opened doors.

Thanks for sharing, it really made me smile and remember some dear friends for years past.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 years later...

Archived