SmoothFox

Poll - How do you hold your crochet hook?

How do you hold your crochet hook?  

114 members have voted

1. 1. How do you hold your crochet hook?

• Like holding a pencil?
    • Like holding the handlebar's on a bike?
    • Neither? Tell us all how you hold your hook

I'm curious how everyone holds their hook.

Donna

Edited by SmoothFox
Poll already exists - need to delete this poll

I didn't realize there is a poll for this question already.

How do I delete this post for a poll?

DOnna

I think you might have to PM one of the mods and ask them to do it.

That other post was over a YEAR ago... I wouldn't worry about it.

I hold my hook like a handle, except my index finger stays on the right and guides (if that makes sense? I am right handed).. :hug

Like handlebar, with my thumb stuck out of course (braced against the flat spot on the hook that is there for thumb-bracing).

Yesterday on the subway I saw a girl holding her crochet hook in the darndest fashion. I was trying to figure it out while also trying not to stare. :) It was like, interlaced with her fingers, with her pinky over the hook but her ring finger under it.

Im in the handlebar style group. :D I tried holding it like a pencil for about 10 seconds. Definitely does not work for me!

I've seen a few odd holds on television and youtube. I know they are more for being able to show stitches without blocking the work but wow... I can't even make ONE stitch work like that! One lady this morning was pretty much holding the hook with two fingers only, and almost looked like she was crocheting over the back of her hand rather than having the yarn/project by her palms.

its actually the CORRECT way to hold it when holding like a handle bar. :knit

i have tons of old crochet books that show that in pics. but its what you get used too!

im suprised that the wrong way has the lead! :cheer

i feel all fumble fingers if i try to hold mine like a pencil. feel lost! :hook

Holding it one way or the other doesn't make it right or wrong, IMHO.

I hold it like a handlebar. It's right for me, but not necessarily everyone else.

Unless I am using a hook from H up, I hold it like a pencil.

My sister use to laugh at the way I held my hook and in a few choice words I told her it didn't matter, as long as I got the end result.:hook

There is no right or wrong way.

i hold my hook in my hand :lol

fingers wrapped round the "handle"

thumb against the hook just above the hook thingy like im hitchhiking

I use an overerhand hold....like you would use a knife. In you poll, you call it handle hold. An underhand hold is like a pencil. Neither hold is "wrong" or is any variation on either IMO. Use what is comfortable.

This website shows pictures of each hold.

Edited by smokeyp81

I use an underhand hold....like you would use a knife. In you poll, you call it handle hold. An overhand hold is like a pencil. Neither hold is "wrong" or is any variation on either IMO. Use what is comfortable.

I think you flipped your terms. The underhand hold is like a pencil. The overhand hold is like a knife. I agree that there is no wrong way.

I use an overerhand hold....like you would use a knife. In you poll, you call it handle hold. An underhand hold is like a pencil. Neither hold is "wrong" or is any variation on either IMO. Use what is comfortable.

Double check your link for the different holds. They listed underhand above the picture. I think you've got them reversed....hope I didn't just stick my foot in mouth! :eek

As smokey provided a link:

I use the overhand method (or the bike hold).

Interestingly enough, looking at the thread holds, my wife originally taught me using the pinky wrap method, but I found it so uncomfortable I just naturally started using the index finger method without any prompting. It's creepy that I hold my thread EXACTLY like the picture, and it just felt natual to do it that way without any instruction.

Edited by tacomagic

My dear grandmother held like a pencil and she taught me. I just couldn't do it and held it like a handlebar. It would driver her CRAZY, me doing it that way! :lol Then fast forward many years, my daughter wanted to learn. She held it the exact way I do. My mom who refused to learn when she was young, complained at us that we were doing it wrong. :P She watched her mom all those years and just knew it was wrong. So, she decided to learn some basic stitches, and yep, she is holding it like a pencil, like her mom. :lol

pencil-my mother, her mother, her aunt, my sister, and everyone else I have ever seen crochet holds it like that.

I didn't even know until today that there was another way.

so i gave it a try-nope, I'll keep holding like a pencil

i hold mine like a pencil ... though a lot of tutorials i find on youtube are people holding theirs like handling a bike or something.. i find that a little weird lol I even tried holding like that but couldn't hold it quite right,..