160 members have voted

1. 1. What is this Hat worth?

• $8.00
    • $10.00
    • $12.00
    • $15.00
    • $20.00
    • Other- Post opinion in thread

Personally, I think 30 is way too much. In these days no body really can afford a 30 dollar hat. At least I can't!

Not everyone can afford a 30 dollar hat, but some people can. I would be one of the can'ts but I know quite a few people in my town that could (surprisingly).

Thanks

Julee

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That is a good formula!! That is basically what I use now. Takes me an hour to do a beanie using a "G" crochet hook so I charge about $8-10 for a beanie including materials (if the materials are more expensive the cost goes up a bit).

Thanks

Julee

If you are self-employed, do you need to pay tax? Like 15% of self-employment tax and 15% of social security tax?

$10 / per item

$4 (gross profit, assume 30 mins to finish an item)

- $1.2 taxes (30% of your gross profit)

- $ 0.55 etsy fee

- $ 0.65 paypal

------------------

$1.60

- time to ship the item

- envelope/box

- electricity for computer

- internet service

- if you go to post office by car, charge the gas

I think you may want to charge more than $8/hr. That's why handmade item is so expensive cos you have to pay everything yourself.

just my 2 cents

Clara

I would say $25.00 to $30.00 but at $25.00 You can move them very quickly. I used to make cotton hats with a 00 Hook in the 1980's and I sold them Whole Sale at $15.00 back in the 1980's and One ended up in the Movie,"Platoon", and I knew it was my work because I was the only one making that style at that time and I knew that style it did not exist at during that time period when they made that movie....The style was made in the 1978 and the period for the movie was during the 1960's.

I would say $25.00 to $30.00 but at $25.00 You can move them very quickly. I used to make cotton hats with a 00 Hook in the 1980's and I sold them Whole Sale at $15.00 back in the 1980's and One ended up in the Movie,"Platoon", and I knew it was my work because I was the only one making that style at that time and I knew that style it did not exist at during that time period when they made that movie....The style was made in the 1978 and the period for the movie was during the 1960's.

Wow, That is soooo cool that a hat you made was actually in a movie. I'll have to see if our local library has that movie so I can see the hat.

I think that anywhere from $10.00-$30.00 would work for a hat. It all depends on the type of hat, the materials used, and the time spend.

Julee

• 11 months later...

Time & material. I know that I've not sold anything yet, but that is because I've not chosen to sell my items yet. I'm still calculating what to charge for the items. Besides those pieces that I make for family & friends are masterpieces & a good source of word of mouth advertising for me for right now. I figured that I would charge a flat fee for my labor & I work cheap apparently $5 an hour. And than tack on the cost of my material. On an average depending on how detailed the piece of work was depends on the cost. But my more intricate detailed items would sell for $40 or better. And my less detailed items would sell for less as it takes less time of course to make them. Does that help.

• 6 months later...

I sell hats like these at a local weekly market for $15 and I sell a lot of them at that price. My plain beanies are $12. People comment that they like my prices and feel that they are a fair price.

In my Opinion....ahem,

Some of this just sounds crazy to me, I would check ebay, that's the real thumb on the market. No matter what you're selling, you'll find it on ebay, and get a rough idea of what people are not only buying, but paying for what they are buying.

I really couldn't care less about what people are paying for things on eBay (not trying to be rude or anything. I just think eBay really isn't that great of a business). I have and always will go by what an item is actually worth. Just in the past year people were paying me upwards of 30 dollars for one of my earflap hats. Just look at what a quality hat is going for in a ski store and I'd say my price is right on track. I guess it might also kinda depend on what kind of demographic your selling to. If you're selling to a group in the lower income bracket, $20-30.00 might be to much but I wouldn't go below $15.00. I used to almost "give my stuff away" when I first started selling my crochet but then I decided that if I valued my handmade works other people would too. And that worked. I upped my prices at my first craft fair and people bought like crazy. I think all my prices were fair and I was making a killing profit wise (as a 16-17 year old out selling the veteran craft show-ers was quite an ego boost).

Anywho, I'm off for a funfilled day of horse back riding and hanging with my sisters.

Take care y'all!!!!

Julee

• 8 months later...

I make hats as well. I sell ones like this:

http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n579/malisa6/Crochet/249983_180579678663433_100001342067668_446567_4835562_n.jpg

for $15

and ones like this:

http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n579/malisa6/Crochet/262287_252779514736918_100000146149559_1224149_3971791_n.jpg

for $10

I hope this helps. I really make simple hats in a free form style so I couldn't tell you if you made special one with embellishments and things, that would be more, but speaking from a fellow crochet buyer/maker, I think thirty for a plain earflap hat (with out embellishments or designs) in an insane price. thats just my opinion though.

• 2 months later...

I think it depends a lot on the hat itself. Is it one or two colors? Or is it one of the Peruvian prints with lots of colors, stripes and pattern? If it is a hat I really like, then I'd gladly give $20 for it, but if I wasn't crazy about it, I would not buy even if the price was $5. You can look through etsy and see what prices people are putting on their hats. The prices are all over but for the most part $15 to $20 is the norm. Still .... a Peruvian style done well, could fetch a little more. Another avenue to look at prices is yardsellr on Facebook. There is a Crocheting Block there with lots of hats for sale. Some are VERY expensive with prices going over $30.

You have to go with a price you are happy with and then you can gradually increase if you see they are selling quickly.

• 5 months later...

it depends on the yarn you use.

look at krochet kids and playin' hooky designs both popular ski hat brands in the crochet world and they go at minimum $20

I think $20 minimum would be good for your hats. You can always do a sale and give repeat customers a discount.

I would start at the higher end and not at the lower end because people accept discounts better than they accept price hikes.

Archived