160 members have voted

1. 1. What is this Hat worth?

• $8.00
    • $10.00
    • $12.00
    • $15.00
    • $20.00
    • Other- Post opinion in thread

When I suggested $10-12, I was thinking of the added cost that shipping would be. I think listing for around $20 and offering "free" shipping is a great idea. I don't live in the US, so I am a bit shocked at what you all are saying hats cost. $30 and up just for an ordinary hat? Wow. I had no idea.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stores may be charging $30 or more for a hat but I sure wouldn't be paying it! Especially not if I could make it myself. :D I must be totally cheap because I was thinking only about $5 for the hat or $8 w/free shipping. :( I'm sure I'm thinking on the low side only because it uses ww acrylic yarn (RHSS is what comes to mind but if you're using a better brand that changes things), plus I could make it myself so I'm not likely to purchase one anyway so what the heck do I know!

We're actually the wrong group to ask because we know the yarn, time and skill involved. The question is, what would a person who knows nothing about crochet and just wants a cool cap pay?

I would check out chain stores like H&M and see how much this kind of accessory costs. If it gives you a decent hourly wage, and covers the cost of your yarn, then charge that price. I personally think about 15 dollars seems fair tho' I don't know what you'd pay for a hat like this in the US.

julee, if you made a scarf to match and maybe fingerless gloves you could easy charge 30.00 for just the hat i would say 15.00 i made a baby set with the hat and mittens and charged 20.00 good luck i hope that helps its sure cute:D

Stores may be charging $30 or more for a hat but I sure wouldn't be paying it! Especially not if I could make it myself. :D I must be totally cheap because I was thinking only about $5 for the hat or $8 w/free shipping. :( I'm sure I'm thinking on the low side only because it uses ww acrylic yarn (RHSS is what comes to mind but if you're using a better brand that changes things), plus I could make it myself so I'm not likely to purchase one anyway so what the heck do I know!

thats sooo not enough LOL and i would not offer free shipping, maybe a discount with 3 or more purchases. actually if you undercharge to much people wont buy it because they think there is something wrong with it i think 15.00 is very fair

When I suggested $10-12, I was thinking of the added cost that shipping would be. I think listing for around $20 and offering "free" shipping is a great idea. I don't live in the US, so I am a bit shocked at what you all are saying hats cost. $30 and up just for an ordinary hat? Wow. I had no idea.

20 with free shipping would be fair

it also depends on what everyone else is charging i tend to undercharge to but am slowly getting away from that because people WILL buy if its something they are looking for Hat like hers in the store (mall stores like pennys sears ect) would go for 25.00 easy around here

is amazing how much we undercharge our talent :eek:eek:eek

I usually choose between 2 formulas to price crochet items:

1. A half-penny per stitch (requires that you actually count the stitches, but if you're working from a pattern, that's not too hard) ~ Note: Use a full penny per stitch if it's a smaller item, half-penny per stitch for larger items like afghans...

2. A nickel ($0.05) per square inch (harder to calculate on round/circular items (although the formula for that is Pi*R-squared, with R = the diameter divided by 2, and Pi = 3.14159))

Those will give you a range to determine an appropriate price for your work. If you need help with either of these, let me know.

Alaina

I calculated out what I would charge if I used number 2. I came up with $17.18 (that's 1718 sts in one hat. Yikes.)

So I guess, considering I'm offering free shipping, that $24.99 isn't a bad deal.

Thanks for the idea!!

Julee

You can easily find commercially made hats of a similar style for $20, $30, or even $40. It probably depends on your customer base, and I don't know much about etsy, but decent hats are getting so expensive that making one was my BIL's sole reason for learning to crochet.

Here are about 12 pages of similar Etsy products:

http://www.etsy.com/search_results.php?search_query=earflap+beanie&search_type=tag_title&order=&min=&max=&page=1

I am guessing that you are aiming for the mid-end customer base (not really high-end but not the bargain-hunting type, either) since you are using an acrylic yarn, but really care about your craftsmanship and the quality of the finished product.

Note that the quality of the photos gives very different impressions. I would recommend taking pictures at an angle, on an attractive model if possible, with a somewhat soft background. You can tell that the hats lying on flat surfaces do not give you a sense of how they look on a person. Also, if the model is looking too far down and you can only see the top of the head, it doesn't really tell you how it looks. Look at what's out there, try it all different ways, and see what looks best.

The first impression is very important in trying to sell something like this on the Internet. You want your picture to be the one people will say "Oh, that looks cute" and to click on.

This is just a thought, but a little touch like a flower on the side makes it very attractive. Perhaps you can offer to add something like that for a moderate additional fee (say, $5).

Good luck!

I know the pics aren't the best but I have a very hard time taking pics of stuff like that (that's why I haven't tried to sell any thing like that on the net up to know).

I think I may leave that up till the next craft show I do then take them off. I know someone at a craft show would buy it without a second thought.

Thanks for the advice!!

Julee

Julee, I didn't mean to discourage you from trying to sell on Etsy! I only posted the link to earflap hats on Etsy so you could see what looks attractive and what doesn't.

I think your pictures are fine; they are in good focus and the angles are good. The only things I might possibly change for online selling are to put them on a real person and use a nice background that highlights your work (perhaps outdoors?).

Really, I think you should explore the option of selling online...you have a great product here. But of course, it's totally up to you. I just don't want to scare you away from it or anything. That was totally not my intention and I'm sorry if I came across as such.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
$10-$15 would be my suggestion. But then I have been told I never charge enough.

I think, in this economy, people will be looking for things to keep them warm at a modest price. I wouldn't go over $15. But this is just my opinion.

Money is tight for most people and I think for something like that, $15 would be the maximum I would charge. I want people to be warm.

:manyheart

• 2 weeks later...

I sell things I make at work and I sell earflap hats for like 10. Its a resonable price since it doesn't take much yarn and are fast to whip up. Kids ones I sell for 5.

I would charge 15 for this hat. I sell hats, scarfs and sweaters by word of mouth and you really have to adjust reasonably for what people are willing to pay.

I use acrylic which works well for MI winters and is easy to care for. Right now my highest price is 25 for a hat. As you gain a customer base the prices can definitely go up. I did triple the business this yr than last. I add a few dollars according to yarn type, difficulty of pattern and color changes.

• 2 weeks later...
I would charge 15 for this hat. I sell hats, scarfs and sweaters by word of mouth and you really have to adjust reasonably for what people are willing to pay.

I use acrylic which works well for MI winters and is easy to care for. Right now my highest price is 25 for a hat. As you gain a customer base the prices can definitely go up. I did triple the business this yr than last. I add a few dollars according to yarn type, difficulty of pattern and color changes.

I agree with you completely because Michigan weather gets cold so acrylic is the right way to go in winter weather

• 1 month later...

First calculate how long it took to make the hat, ie; 30 minutes. Then determine what you want to be paid by the hour.

Example: 30 min x $8.00 hr = $4.00 then add cost of materials.

If it took you 30 minutes to make the hat then you would take half of the hourly rate which would be:

$4.00 1/2 hr rate + $6.00 cost of materials = $10.00 price of the hat.

This is the formula that I use. You decide what you want to charge by the hour. Your hourly rate is your decision. Hope this little formula works for you.

First calculate how long it took to make the hat, ie; 30 minutes. Then determine what you want to be paid by the hour.

Example: 30 min x $8.00 hr = $4.00 then add cost of materials.

If it took you 30 minutes to make the hat then you would take half of the hourly rate which would be:

$4.00 1/2 hr rate + $6.00 cost of materials = $10.00 price of the hat.

This is the formula that I use. You decide what you want to charge by the hour. Your hourly rate is your decision. Hope this little formula works for you.

That is a good formula!! That is basically what I use now. Takes me an hour to do a beanie using a "G" crochet hook so I charge about $8-10 for a beanie including materials (if the materials are more expensive the cost goes up a bit).

Thanks

Julee

• 1 month later...

15$ is that the cost of yarn or finished products? I really want to learn how to crochet a hat or sweatshirt using yarn. I know how to crochet but using heavy threads. Can you give me patterns how to do it

15$ is that the cost of yarn or finished products? I really want to learn how to crochet a hat or sweatshirt using yarn. I know how to crochet but using heavy threads. Can you give me patterns how to do it

Hi,

We're talking about the cost of the finished item (that includes all expenses- yarn and such).

If you go to crochet pattern central: www.crochetpatterncentral.com , You should be able to find quite a few great free patterns.

I make most all of my hats up just off the top of my head. Everytime I try to use a pattern I just can't. Don't know why.

Good luck!!

Julee

• 2 weeks later...

Archived