• $8.00
    • $10.00
    • $12.00
    • $15.00
    • $20.00
    • Other- Post opinion in thread

MrEarflap2.jpgMrEarflap1.jpg

Hi all,

I need your help. I'm wanting to try to sell my earflap hats in my etsy shop but I have NO idea how much to charge so any help would be awesome!!

Thanks

Julee

Details:

Worsted Weight Acrylic Yarn

Fits Medium to large adult head but can be made smaller.

Can be made in various colors

Every item that I make is ALWAYS of the highest quality too and I know that plays into the price too.

Feel free to vote and/or leave a comment. I always love to hear what ya'll have to say.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think it's always hard to ask people that know the time and effort that go into the hats. I don't even have a clue since I rarely buy items, only patterns...some being yours! :cheer

It is hard to ask but at the same time I know there are quite a few people on here who have to have some idea. Even a hint is sooo helpful.

I never buy items either, just patterns (and not very often at that).

Thanks Mary!!

Julee

You aren't going to sell many for $30. Maybe not any at all. I think $10-12 is reasonable, although you may want to take a look at what some other hats are going for. It's worth looking at both the price *and* whether or not the seller has actually had any sales for their items. I could be wrong--I've never made a hat--but it doesn't seem as if it would use that much yarn (could you get three from one skein?), and it only looks like a couple hours' worth of work, tops. So $10-12 is what I'd charge, unless I was using more expensive yarns (not just regular acrylic).

You aren't going to sell many for $30. Maybe not any at all. I think $10-12 is reasonable, although you may want to take a look at what some other hats are going for. It's worth looking at both the price *and* whether or not the seller has actually had any sales for their items. I could be wrong--I've never made a hat--but it doesn't seem as if it would use that much yarn (could you get three from one skein?), and it only looks like a couple hours' worth of work, tops. So $10-12 is what I'd charge, unless I was using more expensive yarns (not just regular acrylic).

Actually, only takes me about 1.5 hours so really not long and I can easily can get 2 hats from one skein of yarn so I think as far as materials goes I would come out ok.

I have seen alot of people on etsy selling there hats for anywhere from 12 to 40 dollars so I guess the 12-15 dollar range sounds fair.

Thanks!

Julee

So far $15.00 is winning!! That's fair too!! Mean's about 8.33 an hour for me after taking 2.50 out for fees and yarn cost (even though the total cost is lower than that).

Thanks ya'll!!

Julee

The ear flap hats in the stores can be quite high. Got one at REI for my DD for Christmas last year. It was hard to find one under $30.00. I think you should aim for at least $20.00 and see if you get any sales.

Pat

I would say $20-$30. In a while they can go on "sale" for $15 if not selling!

That's a really good idea!! That way you're still making a profit on them!!

Ohh, and when people see "Sale" they will be more likely to look.

Great idea!!!

Thanks

The ear flap hats in the stores can be quite high. Got one at REI for my DD for Christmas last year. It was hard to find one under $30.00. I think you should aim for at least $20.00 and see if you get any sales.

Pat

Oooo, that's right. They are pretty expensive in stores. Forgot about that.

Thanks for reminding me. $20.00 is starting to look fair too. I guess I could do $20.00 with free shipping. Shipping isn't expensive at all for something like a hat. Maybe like $2 or $3 so I'd still come out good and people might be more likely to buy one.

Thanks again!!

Julee

That's a really good idea!! That way you're still making a profit on them!!

Like it!! Ohh, and when people see "Sale" they will be more likely to look.

Great idea!!!

Thanks

Definately seeing SALE will be a great idea to get them to look at $15.

Oooo, that's right. They are pretty expensive in stores. Forgot about that.

Thanks for reminding me. $20.00 is starting to look fair too. I guess I could do $20.00 with free shipping. Shipping isn't expensive at all for something like a hat. Maybe like $2 or $3 so I'd still come out good and people might be more likely to buy one.

Thanks again!!

Julee

Free Shipping is always appealing! :yes

I would say $20-$30. In a while they can go on "sale" for $15 if not selling!

I vote for this - if we don't start valuing our work, no one else will either. ;) I've seen hats like this go for more than $30 on other sites - and you can't touch one for that in a brick and mortar store.

I vote for this - if we don't start valuing our work, no one else will either. ;) I've seen hats like this go for more than $30 on other sites - and you can't touch one for that in a brick and mortar store.

Yup, we crocheters have to start standing up for our work or nobody will.

I think I will Start it off at Maybe $24.99 (or just $25.00). That way compared to the $30 dollar hats it looks like a super good deal and of course with shipping included it actually is pretty good.

Some of the prices people charge just for shipping a small item is outrageous.

See, you were right. Talk it out, think outloud and it all falls together. I think that sounds like a good plan. :shop

Yeah, Thanks everyone for helping me figure this out!! Now let's hope I actually start selling a little when I list it. I could sooo use the money right now.

Julee

Archived