Need to make a wig....

MarvieN

Question

K here's the deal. The kid has to dress up as Thomas Jefferson for a school project. First of all I am having a heck of a time finding a full length photo of the man so I can figure out a costume... so if anyone runs across one please send it my way lol.

Now, I was thinking about the wig thing.... and need to know what some of you more experienced crocheters think about my idea. Then I may need actual help with the doing, if it's even workable.

I was thinking back to pics I've seen of the white wigs of those days.... some of them were simple just hair pulled back and tied, but others were more elaborate, with curls n such.

Could I possibly, somehow, maybe using a Q or P hook with white yarn, use the bullion (I think that was the stitch I'm thinking of) stitch to create a series of rolls and somehow make it look something like a wig?

I've never used this stitch, but have seen pics and I *think* it could work, if I could figure out the details.

The costume is due Feb 28th so I have some time. Any thoughts and/or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Marvie

10 answers to this question

Coralie that's a perfect picture! Thank you =)

Cathey, I'd so appreciate it! I know it's possible to crochet a wig, but it's one of those things I never thought I'd need lol.

Another reason why I love this place :yes Ya'll rock =)

You rock! I put it on my want list... I mean Watch List. Heh, hubby hates when I do that, but I can't help it if he buys it right? All I did was put it there *g* Thanks!!

A blonde wig could work, though I know I won't find halloween hairspray here this time of year... but I could probably dust it with baby powder or something, I seem to think they did that quite often in those days....

*g* A girls gotta do,,what a girls gotta do :wink

Maybe you could crochet like a white beanie, Then crochet the bullions onto the dc's. Or,,,,,,crochet a white beanie and.... just attach looooong strands of yarn on the stitches around the edge with a slip knot, maybe the next row up as well and then just pull them back like you would a pony tail. You could use good ole red heart ww for the beanie and use a fluffier yarn in white for the hair or brush the ww red heart to make it fuzzy. Then for curls at the bottom, mist it down, get a few cheap curlers, roll it up and maybe spray it with hair spray so it will set.

But ya see,,,,in order to do this, so it turns out "just right"- you need the heads from e-bay. :wink

Coralie

:))

Very very true *g* They're still on the want list... hubby asked why on earth I needed/wanted them so I gave him all the excuses I could think of. We'll see if he gets em come payady *g*

I'm likin your thoughts on making the wig... sorta where my mind was going too at least the ponytail option. I'd like to do the bullion stitch just cuz I've never done it before lol. But who knows. I'm sure if I made two wigs someone else could use the one the kid didn't use. =)

Archived