How I crochet [VIDEO LINK]

Sugarcoatedlies

Apparently I crochet wrong, and I was wondering if anyone else crochets the way I do.

I recorded myself crocheting, (with the help of my 8 year old sister, who held the camera heh)

and this is it, only 30 seconds or so!

Me Crocheting

I want to know if I'm the only one that does it this way or if you think it's odd, anything you'd like to comment is welcome too!

that's interesting, ive never seen anyone crochet like that

i don't do it like you either :D

but i don't think it's weird, that's awesome because you just do it your own way

Did you learn to knit first or crochet first.

I saw a lady crochet like you do and after talking to her for a while, she said she learned to knit first and she couldn't crochet any other way.

As long as you get the desired look, I don't think there is a right or wrong way to crochet.

yeah, i haven't either :s

when i needed help when i was barely starting, i went to a neighbor who made me do 30 chains to get started but i couldn't hold the hook her way and she got mad and didn't help me again. i kept wanting to hold the hook my way and she didn't let me.

the way i do chains is kinda goofy too.

Did you learn to knit first or crochet first.

I saw a lady crochet like you do and after talking to her for a while, she said she learned to knit first and she couldn't crochet any other way.

As long as you get the desired look, I don't think there is a right or wrong way to crochet.

AH so i'm not the only one!

i learned to knit when i was 9 or 10, and crochet when i was 11 or 12.

that could be the explanation haha!

awesome! i'd like to see that :D

yeah i think it is SO much more comfortable, i can do chains the normal way a bit because i practiced, but it's so slow and it hurts my fingers.

what kind of hooks do you use? i've only ever used aluminum straight ones (and a plastic one i hated and some ceramic ones i made), and i was wondering if the other handles or other materials would work with this method.

also, did you learn to knit before crochet?

I do it the very same way. I have tried it the way you are supposed to and forget it. I figure as long as it works for you don"t worry about it.:)

Yay! did you learn to knit first, too?

You'd probably make a great teacher, for those who currently knit and want to learn to crochet. It would make it easy for knitters to make the transition from two needles to a single hook.

Keep up the good work!

i wanted to teach crochet, but i wasn't sure if my method would confuse people lol

I don't see a problem with it. The only "wrong" way to crochet is if you don't get the stitche right by winding the yarn over the hook the wrong way... which I did for years because my mom who was left handed, taught me. Actually most items I made turned out okay, except filet, which I wanted to learn and that's about the same time I found out I did the YO the wrong way. So I relearned.

There is no wrong way to hold a hook. Sorry she got mad at that. There's no wrong way to hold the yarn in your hand(s) either.

Debbi

Other discussions which will show you there are various ways to crochet.

Post a picture of your grip style - link

How do you hold your hook? - link

Poll: How Do You Hold YOUR Hook? - link

I was asking myself the same question: Did you learn to knit first??? :think As long as holding the hook is comfortable for you and you like the end result, great going!! :hook

I crochet like that. Only I'm left handed. I've noticed my stitches look a bit different than those done by a right handed crocheter too. And I think I look at the back side of the stitch instead of the front as well. I'd have to check that out on someone's video to be sure. But I think I noticed that quite a while ago.

awesome! i'd like to see that :D

yeah i think it is SO much more comfortable, i can do chains the normal way a bit because i practiced, but it's so slow and it hurts my fingers.

what kind of hooks do you use? i've only ever used aluminum straight ones (and a plastic one i hated and some ceramic ones i made), and i was wondering if the other handles or other materials would work with this method.

also, did you learn to knit before crochet?

:hookThis is me! Don't mind the pink poka-dot shorts, lol.

Like I said, I think you and I crochet about the same way. Don't you think?

That is basically the way I corchet. I'm a lefty and I hold the hook in my right hand and do almost all of the moving with my left. People always look at me funny also. If the end restults are the same then any way you get there is fine is my way of thinking.

Marcia

:hookThis is me! Don't mind the pink poka-dot shorts, lol.

Like I said, I think you and I crochet about the same way. Don't you think?

very fast :D

slightly different than the way i do it though :P

i have the hook and string in the same hand lol

very fast :D

slightly different than the way i do it though :P

i have the hook and string in the same hand lol

I didn't realize until I saw the clip that maybe I should have slowed down, lol. I don't know if I'd be able to hold onto the hook and yarn with the same hane, lol. I'll have to try that out.

Apparently I crochet wrong, and I was wondering if anyone else crochets the way I do.

I recorded myself crocheting, (with the help of my 8 year old sister, who held the camera heh)

and this is it, only 30 seconds or so!

Me Crocheting

I want to know if I'm the only one that does it this way or if you think it's odd, anything you'd like to comment is welcome too!

Wow! That's just about how I hold my hook! LOL I thought I'd be the only one. :hook

Archived