How do you hold your hook?

• 3 weeks later...
I prefer the pencil grip, but can work either way. The pencil is more natural, tho. I just hold the yarn over my left index finger, under my second and third fingers and over my little finger. I have to be careful not to hold it too tight.

That's exactly how I crochet. I was crocheting all day yesterday to finish a pair of mittens and a hat and I was worried that my 'hooking' hand would get sore. But it was my left hand that fingers the yarn that was aching. Does yours ever do that after a full day of crocheting?

I never really thought about it. I'm more or less self taught & use the pencil grip most of the time. I recently noticed that when I work off stitches using a Tunsian hook or double hook, I'm using the kniife hold. Hmmmm....

:)Alosha

• 4 weeks later...

I think I use the pencil grip. lol, I don't have a hook or yarn at work right now. But I"m pretty sure I use the pencil grip. I do hold the yarn oddly though. Kind of hold my index finger up, and then hold it also with my pinkie. I try to hold it a different way, becuase my hand gets really sore that way. It's hard to though, adn also crocheting goes much slower...

*it turns out that I don't use the pencil grip! how weird is that. when i got home, and started crocheting, i figured out that i use the knife grip. I tried using the pencil grip, but it was kind of awkward, and slow going.

Silly me!

butterfly_girl

I use the knife grip though my mom scorns and says only the cobbler holds like that and we are supposed to be ladies holding our hooks elegantly!!! I say this is what i am comfortable with plus I can crochet faster this way rather than the pencil way!!!

So knife hold it is!!!

hugs

Vims

• 4 weeks later...
Does anyone know a site that would show pictures of the different grips? I think mine is more like a pencil but I can't find a site to compare the various grips

I had to look this up myself. It seems I am a pencil gripper. But in the pictures, the 'hook' is facing down, I have mine on the side.

linky - http://www.crochet.org/lessons/lessonr/rd1819.html

One thing I am struggling with is holding and using the afghan hooks effectively. Maybe they feel odd because they don't have the 'grip tab'?

• 5 years later...

I thought I was the only one who crocheted like that! I held it in the knife/fork way because I can control it better and hold the crocheted item with my hand which I like and can't do with the regular way, but I couldn't crochet long because that way hurt my wrist so much that I couldn't use my hand or arm for anything. So just last week I decided to change to the other way. Its alright and I can do it, but I will learn to control soon.

Archived