How do you hold your hook?

Silly question, but I'm curious. I hold the hook sort of like a fork, not really a pencil grip. Does anybody really use the knife grip? I've tried to switch to that, because I think it's better for your wrists, but I can't quite do it.

Mary

I use the knife grip (I think that's what I do), that's how I was taught, and I've tried other methods and it just doesn't feel right. Those that I have taught, I teach them this method, I usually see how they pick up the yarn to see what is "natural" for them, and then I suggest they hold it like I do. So far, most (even one who crocheted for about a year using a differnt method) preferred my method.

I use the knife grip. Just the way I was taught to hold it by a little old lady who I am guessing learned from her mother or grandmother that way. I have tried the pencil grip but it feels weird since I've never crocheted that way. IMO however you can be comfortable & crochet quicker is the appropriate way to hold it.

I use the knife grip. I keep the hook in my right hand, and then I do something with the yarn that I've never seen anyone else do -- I wrap it around my left index finger and keep it under a medium amount of tension. Then I "pick" my stitches with the hook the same way you do when you knit continental style.

I have no idea where I picked this up. I learned to crochet when I was 8, and knit when I was 30-something, so it's not like I transferred the movement from knitting to crochet. Does anyone else do this?

I hold the hook in a pencil grip. I was tought to hold it in a knife grip but swiched because it made my wrists hurt. I hold the wool between my index finget and my middle finger.:)

I do the "overhand" (knife?) grip. My friend who taught me uses the pencil grip and is constantly making fun of me b/c I do it "wrong" and she can't figure out what I'm doing. Works for me though.

I prefer the pencil grip, but can work either way. The pencil is more natural, tho. I just hold the yarn over my left index finger, under my second and third fingers and over my little finger. I have to be careful not to hold it too tight.

I use both methods. With a long or heavy hook, I use the knife hold. On a short, "regular" hook like the Boye or Bates hooks, I use the pencil hold. For a broomstick lace pin, I place it between my arm and my side to keep it steady cos I have a really long wooden pin that was specially made for me. :-) Not sure what kind of hold that is. LOL

• 2 weeks later...

I use the pencil grip... I don't feel like I have any control with the knife grip. Also, I was just taught this way.

I used to hold my yarn between my index and middle fingers of my left hand like a cigarette. Needless to say, it put quite a strain on my fingers. Just recently I switched to a "correct" hold I saw in a book: over the top and behind my index finger, in front of my middle finger, behind my ring finger, and ending up in front of my pinky finger. I keep tension by holding together the bottom three fingers, while the index finger is separate from them.

...if that makes sense. :P

Trying to answer this I found out that the fork grip and the pencil grip are the same thing for me. That is how I hold the hook unless I am using an afghan hook or a monstrously thick (Q) hook, then it's the knife.

Guest Crafterlady46

I hold mine like a fork. It rests on the middle finger and I have very tight tension on the thread.

I hold mine like a knife always have.

I used to drive my mother crazy because I was always "Holding my hook wrong."

Be bl;essed

mickie

I use the knife grip. I keep the hook in my right hand, and then I do something with the yarn that I've never seen anyone else do -- I wrap it around my left index finger and keep it under a medium amount of tension. Then I "pick" my stitches with the hook the same way you do when you knit continental style.

I have no idea where I picked this up. I learned to crochet when I was 8, and knit when I was 30-something, so it's not like I transferred the movement from knitting to crochet. Does anyone else do this?

My step-mom does that!! :manyheart And I don't think she knows how to knit.

I use the knife hold and I kind of twist (turn, rotate) my hook to get my YO and then twist (turn, rotate) back to get hook through stitch.

I saw a woman in the airport crocheting and she held her hook "funny" (probably a pencil hold) and held it perpendicular to her work -- looked so different I couldn't help but stare! I should've actually talked to her, but alas, I was too shy.

I hold mine like a pencil actually.. I've never had any problems with the twisting and frankly, have tried holding it knife hold and it just don't work that way :P

not for me anyway ;)

Archived