What sort of stitch would YOU use? Bamboo yarn for a shawl/wrap/stole/whatever

MissRach

Question

I just picked up the most GLORIOUS bamboo/acrylic yarn (Bernat Natural Blends) from Micheal's. OH MY! 'Tis lovely! I picked it up, and was GOING to use the wrap pattern on the wrappers, but I decided to design my own pattern instead. Then I was looking more closely at the pattern on the wrapper and realized I had only bought half of the the required yarn! :lol Good thing I had already decided to design my own pattern! :devil

So, since it's about 370 yards, I want a nice lacey shawl/wrap/stole WHATEVER YOU WANT TO CALL IT. :P To that effect, what sort of stitch would you use? I need ideas and stitch NAMES. :P I haven't a clue what the different patterned stitches are called! :lol Also, it's a "bulky" (though not very!) yarn, so I intend to use a larger hook size. (I'm thinking N at this point.)

Once I settle on the stitch (or stitches), I will work it up in Caron Simply Soft as a test run, then when I am happy with the pattern, I will use my glorious bamboo!

Have at it, ladies! *goes to pet her bamboo*

:roseMissRach

9 answers to this question

Thanks for the link, Tia! But I wasn't so much looking for patterns as I was stitches. I was thinking maybe you ladies would have some good ideas for stitches to use!

I will look at the link and see if maybe there is a stitch idea I can glean from the patterns.

:hug

I have gotten a number of pretty stitch patterns from here http://www.mypicot.com/index.html

Otherwise I just grab the Crochet Harmony Guide or a crochet encyclopedia-- if you don't have something like that, perhaps you can borrow it from the library.

I have gotten a number of pretty stitch patterns from here http://www.mypicot.com/index.html

Otherwise I just grab the Crochet Harmony Guide or a crochet encyclopedia-- if you don't have something like that, perhaps you can borrow it from the library.

Thanks for the link!

I'm thinking at this point I'll make sort of a half circle shawl, very lacy and open. We'll see!

What about a Solomon's Knot Shawl? It's a very, very open stitch and it looks so lovely!

I get most of my stitches from a very old old stitch dictionary. The problem is, it's in Spanish, so I can't really look up the names of the stitches online :huh Sorry about that!

(EDIT: As a matter of fact, some of the ones in the website allieliz posted are in my book also! They must be public domain?...)

You could also do an "afghan" shawl, by making very open motifs and joining them together. It would end up very lacy... and with that bamboo yarn! You'll be wearing it every day, especially for fall :lol

What about a Solomon's Knot Shawl? It's a very, very open stitch and it looks so lovely!

I get most of my stitches from a very old old stitch dictionary. The problem is, it's in Spanish, so I can't really look up the names of the stitches online :huh Sorry about that!

(EDIT: As a matter of fact, some of the ones in the website allieliz posted are in my book also! They must be public domain?...)

You could also do an "afghan" shawl, by making very open motifs and joining them together. It would end up very lacy... and with that bamboo yarn! You'll be wearing it every day, especially for fall :lol

Hmmm. Solomon's knot; I hadn't thought of that. I'll admit, tho, that stitch scares me! :eek But it IS lovely! :think

Yes, you can't copyright stitch patterns, because everyone uses them. :)

The afghan shawl idea is great too!

:hug

Archived