twitter?

ChrisCrossCrafts

I don't have a Twitter account. I think I may have registered for it once but if I did, I don't remember my user name, etc. Go me!!

I do use facebook, though, to keep in touch with family and friends. Its a very convenient way of sharing pictures and things, especially where my family is all over the world. I think some of the status line announcements are strange, though - and all those silly knight and vampire games. I am told by my teenaged son that I am showing my age.

:crocheting

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But I wonder if anybody can stand to be alone with their own thoughts anymore. Is self-avoidance some new form of mental malady?

It's always nice to have human contact and be a part of the human community, and I love the Internet as much as anybody; but there is such a thing as an inner life, and I don't understand the burning need to share every single mundane detail of one's life on cells, facebook, or twitter -- or all three.

And I don't know why I have to be subjected to hearing all this trivia myself while I'm browsing in a store, trying on clothes in a dressing room (a few time the caller has had her speaker phone on loud), a bookstore perusing books (where it should be library-quiet), a public restroom stall (privacy would be nice there), or a doctor's waiting room (between TV and cells, there's no reading while you wait anymore). Back in the day, we thought that in the future "Big Brother," the government, would rob us of our privacy, but it's turning out to be other people doing that in a different fashion than we imagined. So, if any of you younger folks read this rant, and feel inclined to explain, I'd like to knowwhat's going on. :confused

I completely agree with you. AMEN!

Beverly

I started a twitter account last night to see what all the hoo-rah was about. Rather odd place lol. I follow more newsy stuff than anything else but now that I know someone is there that may be interesting (sugarcoatedlies, etc. lol) I may go back.

I seem to be followed by people who want to sell me something lol. They will be disappointed to find out that I am po' well not when it comes to yarn...just everything else.

I am tha_madhattah at twitter. :D

But I wonder if anybody can stand to be alone with their own thoughts anymore. Is self-avoidance some new form of mental malady?

It's always nice to have human contact and be a part of the human community, and I love the Internet as much as anybody; but there is such a thing as an inner life, and I don't understand the burning need to share every single mundane detail of one's life on cells, facebook, or twitter -- or all three.

Well, I don't really think I suffer from a mental malady, at least not in regard to using sites such as Facebook, Twitter, etc.

In my case, almost my entire family is in the military. My daughter and her husband are in the Coast Guard. My husband is in the Army. My nephew is in the Army. And my brother-in-law is in the Army.

In our case, we are spread around the country and sometimes around the world. With time differences, it's not always realistic to pick up the phone and call when you want to share something. We post photos for each other to see, update each other on important things, and just communicate. I don't think we share anything more mundane than any other person who is carrying on a conversation in person, writing, or over the phone with another family member.

The advent of the internet has been a godsend for military members and their families for keeping in touch. I see nothing wrong with using programs such as Facebook, Twitter, etc., as tools to keep in touch with your family or friends. :yes

there i scribbled all your names down so i can follow you around. lol. twitter is odd though. i find i don't 'do' very much...at least not as m uch as i think i do.

i will follow ravelry though for sure. i have an account there but i haven't used it in a long time and i have no idea who i was or what my password is.

i spend so much time in my own head it is a relief to spend some time in someone else's LOL

After reading all the posts, I had to check it out. Not my cup of tea but variety is the spice of life. I am on Ravelry, do check that one out.

Hope everyone has fun with Twitter, though.

LI Roe

I figured out how to put twitter on my blog for updates on there when I can't get on line. I just went to Twitter's help page and the first paragraph had the info. Since my blog info was all ready in there, it linked it up and I just added it.

Debbi

• 3 weeks later...
Well, I don't really think I suffer from a mental malady, at least not in regard to using sites such as Facebook, Twitter, etc.

In my case, almost my entire family is in the military. My daughter and her husband are in the Coast Guard. My husband is in the Army. My nephew is in the Army. And my brother-in-law is in the Army.

In our case, we are spread around the country and sometimes around the world. With time differences, it's not always realistic to pick up the phone and call when you want to share something. We post photos for each other to see, update each other on important things, and just communicate. I don't think we share anything more mundane than any other person who is carrying on a conversation in person, writing, or over the phone with another family member.

The advent of the internet has been a godsend for military members and their families for keeping in touch. I see nothing wrong with using programs such as Facebook, Twitter, etc., as tools to keep in touch with your family or friends. :yes

I stand by most of what I said, but I agree that these wonderful new technologies are a godsend to scattered families like yours. What I don't get is friends -- even casual friends -- publicly announcing it every time they belch or hiccup and sharing so much personal stuff publicly. My daughter and I disagree a bit on this issue: I'm of a generation that didn't really want to "share" so much, and she and her friends like to share just about every thought or activity.

I stand by most of what I said, but I agree that these wonderful new technologies are a godsend to scattered families like yours. What I don't get is friends -- even casual friends -- publicly announcing it every time they belch or hiccup and sharing so much personal stuff publicly. My daughter and I disagree a bit on this issue: I'm of a generation that didn't really want to "share" so much, and she and her friends like to share just about every thought or activity.

And I do agree with you on that part of the issue. I am not one who will go on these services and tell the world what I do moment by moment. I do like to keep private things private. I don't feel the need to post every mundane detail of my day. I'm not sure why anyone would. For us, it's just about staying in contact when we're spread about the country and the world.

My stepdaughter is another story. She takes cell phone use to a whole new level. She literally cannot go 5 minutes without texting someone or receiving a text. We went out to dinner with my father-in-law and his fiance, and I was horrified when she sat there through the whole dinner texting back and forth. My husband and I told her that it was very inappropriate and rude, but she disagreed and thought it was perfectly fine to ignore your fellow diners and concentrate on your friends via texts. Needless to say, we won't be taking her to dinner again. :no

And I do agree with you on that part of the issue. I am not one who will go on these services and tell the world what I do moment by moment. I do like to keep private things private. I don't feel the need to post every mundane detail of my day. I'm not sure why anyone would. For us, it's just about staying in contact when we're spread about the country and the world.

My stepdaughter is another story. She takes cell phone use to a whole new level. She literally cannot go 5 minutes without texting someone or receiving a text. We went out to dinner with my father-in-law and his fiance, and I was horrified when she sat there through the whole dinner texting back and forth. My husband and I told her that it was very inappropriate and rude, but she disagreed and thought it was perfectly fine to ignore your fellow diners and concentrate on your friends via texts. Needless to say, we won't be taking her to dinner again. :no

That's incredible, and I don't blame you for foregoing dinner with her again.

The latest best thing in my daughter's life, in her opinion, is her new Blackberry. And it's great that she sends me photos of my grandson et al. on the spot at least every couple of days (I live about 45 minutes away, so I don't get to see him all that often). However, I didn't appreciate photos of her toenail-less toe after a marathon or of the finger cut while cooking!:yuck:yuck

Here's kinda a dumb question.. so... twitter happens on your computer, right? :scrachin

Unless you phone has internet access - all this twitter-ing takes place on your computer? :compute

What if you don't sit at a compter all day...does that mean you 'miss' all the twitter-ing?

Sorry.. lost and confused.

I just signed up for Twitter a couple of days ago. Don't know quite what I think of it yet. My name is PogoJr there too.

I'm on twitter, but mostly to follow the local pd. And I just use it from the website. My cell phone doesn't have the bells & whistles necessary to use it for twitter. I follow mostly from work, where I can sit for hours sometimes and stare at the 'puter (while I listen to audiobooks and crochet).

Here's kinda a dumb question.. so... twitter happens on your computer, right? :scrachin

Unless you phone has internet access - all this twitter-ing takes place on your computer? :compute

What if you don't sit at a compter all day...does that mean you 'miss' all the twitter-ing?

Sorry.. lost and confused.

You can have twitter come to your cell phone. If you don't have unlimited texting, it's not good. This way you get messages and updates quickly or when you want to read them, but not at the computer all day.

You can visit twiter on the computer and read what has been posted. Some of mine has links and my cell phone (not a smart phone) won't go to the link, so I'd have to visit it if I wanted to go to the link. You could even do it once a day.

I visit facebook maybe once a day. I don't put everything I do on either. Just updates or important things. And my facebook friends (maybe 5) do the same, except one who travels a lot. She also likes to post photos. But again, once a day visit is sufficient.

Both will allow you send messages from your cell phone. For example on satuday I sent one to twitter and facebook. Twitter is on my blog too, so it appears there.

Debbi

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have it and probably never will. Between my lap top and cell phone, I have all the connecting I need. I've had ICQ, Yahoo IM, MSN messenger, myspace, facebook, ravelly...etc. etc. So I'm gonna pass on twitter :yes

I don't have it and probably never will. Between my lap top and cell phone, I have all the connecting I need. I've had ICQ, Yahoo IM, MSN messenger, myspace, facebook, ravelly...etc. etc. So I'm gonna pass on twitter :yes

:lol I don't blame you on passing on twitter. Of course they are quick to read. I also found out your twitter messages can go directly to facebook, of course if you send a tweet from your cell phone you can also send one to facebook too (I put them in a group on my cell phone).

I found you can follow a lot of people on twitter. I was home sick yesterday and Oprah is on twitter. And some news organizations or television stations. I follow my local weather, but they don't send tweets that often, which is fine. Just if a storm is approaching or if it's getting hot. Plus I have one for daily inspirational messages.

Debbi

always a little slow...but i am officially a twitterer as of about an hour ago. :lol i will follow on my 'puter, not my cell...i'm not a cell phone kinda gal, i use it for necessary calls only.

anyways, my twitter name is: sweetmamajones

• 2 months later...

Archived