How Many Skeins?

merrycrochets

Question

I am brand new to crochet (less than a month)...been knitting for 2 years and LOVE it!:clap I am having a blast with crochet too:hook...just not enough time to make everything that I would like to...LOL!

My question is, how many skeins of yarn would I need for an afghan? I thought that would be good practice for me....would like to crochet one for my Mom.

I know it would depend on the pattern and all...let's just say if I were to make a Granny Square Afghan, how many skeins do you think I would need? I found a great buy on Bernat yarn at Michaels yesterday ($1.49)...I think there was about 200 yards in one skein.

Thanks in advance...I LOVE Crochetville!

Merry :yay

7 answers to this question

If you do granny squares, you can use scrap skeins of yarn that you may have and make them in many colors, so you don't need to buy a set amount of yarn at first. You will need a lot of one color for the last layer of each of your squares if you do the last layer in the same color and whip stitch them together which is the way I do mine. You can decide if you need more based on when you lay your squares out to see how big it looks. Best of luck. You're mom will surely love it!

I know this is tolally off the subject but when I do a Granny blanket I always make a extra motif and stitch it to the back of the balnket. It gets washed with it so if you ever need to repalce one you have the same yarn same dye lot and it has been laundered with the afghan. Them you don't have to search for the pattern or yarn.

For a lapghan, I only need between 18-24 oz of yarn. For a twin size, I need a minimum of 32 oz. The king size blanket I'm working on is taking about 80-90 oz.

(I'm assuming worsted weight for your blanket.)

I always underbuy even when I'm reading the pattern and it tells what to purchase but only IF it is a yarn with no dye-lot. If there is a dye lot I always over buy the main colors just in case I want to make something else later with that same dye lot.

Donna

Afghans run in the vicinity of 42" x 50" to 45" to 60". In that range. So you are looking at approx 3, maybe 4 pounds of yarn total. It's really hard to estimate when you just make one without a pattern.

Coats and Clark has mountains of free afghan patterns you might want to look at just so you can get a close estimate.

Archived