Residual Limb Covers aka stump cover/cozy

notwprintcess

Question

22 answers to this question

I have never seen any stump covers, but I like the idea, especially if someone needs some padding to help keep from being bruised.

I know a woman who has had several leg operations after having an accident. I think she'd love a cover / cozy, especially if it's padded. And the warmth would probably be quite welcome too.

I am so glad you asked about this, because now you are giving me ideas!

I think each person would have to have a cover / cozy designed for his or her specific contours.

I don't know. I'll have to give it more thought.

Hi ~ glad to help inspire new creativity!! I can see your point about specific needs. The covers were something that came up from the Loma Linda Voluntary Services as something they could use for donations. But they only offered a pattern for lap robes (lap ghans) but I've only found KNIT patterns for the stump covers and I'm not a knitter. :lol

i think the basis would be somewhere along

do this in rounds no joining or turning

ch 2

sc 6 in 2nd ch from hook (6)

2 sc in each stitch (12)

*2 sc in next st, 1sc in next st* around (18)

and increase like that till you get to the size of the stump.

then 1 sc in each st until desired length.

Sugar ~ I was thinking along the same lines. Probably the covers have only been in knit because it has better stretch.

Sugar ~ I was thinking along the same lines. Probably the covers have only been in knit because it has better stretch.

haha :)

yeah, definitely knit would be better.

i think it might be hard to keep on a crochet one

haha :)

yeah, definitely knit would be better.

i think it might be hard to keep on a crochet one

Is there a way to crochet some ribbing where to top part would be? And which yarns stretch better (if any)?

Thanks!!

I found a bit of helpful info also at http://amputeehee.blogspot.com/2006/03/cozy.html

one quote reads:

I don't knit, but I crochet. Start knitting or crocheting like you are going to make a hat, then add your increases in the rounds as you go until you have the length you need. To keep it on while you sleep just knit or crochet a long strap that will reach around your waist making a loop at the end that will fit around a button that you will sew on at the appropriate distance from the end to hold it snug around your waist... (P.S. I have been a bk amputee for 19 years.)

Is there a way to crochet some ribbing where to top part would be? And which yarns stretch better (if any)?

Thanks!!

Yeah, there are some patterns where you can do back loop and front loop alternating and that can make a ribbing effect, but i don't know if it would be too loose.

I tend to only use acrylic, so i'm not sure :s

Have you ever been around someone who has an amputation? I believe they NEED to be knitted. I would imagine why one would wear a stump cover would be to then put on a prosthesis (like putting on your sock to wear a shoe). The prosthesis fit snugly and I think the crochet would be much to thick for that. I think you would need a stockinette stitch for them to work properly and be comfortable. :shrug

Have you ever been around someone who has an amputation? I believe they NEED to be knitted. I would imagine why one would wear a stump cover would be to then put on a prosthesis (like putting on your sock to wear a shoe). The prosthesis fit snugly and I think the crochet would be much to thick for that. I think you would need a stockinette stitch for them to work properly and be comfortable. :shrug

NO, that is why I'm asking all these questions...now I just feel dumb, thanks

Yeah, there are some patterns where you can do back loop and front loop alternating and that can make a ribbing effect, but i don't know if it would be too loose.

I tend to only use acrylic, so i'm not sure :s

Okay...I guess I'll just let the knitters handle it...hopefully they're getting some for their vets. Thanks for trying to help :)

I don't think crochet would be to heavy. My dad was a double amputee and his socks (that's what he called them) were thick, at least thicker than a regular sock. They have to fit snug so the limb isn't loose when you walk. Sorry I don't know of a pattern, but I'm sure there is one out there. Hope this helps

Has anyone made or seen a pattern for this? I can't seem to find one on my own that is done in CROCHET :crocheting Thank you!!!

I posted this a few months before you posted this. If you do a search with "residual" or "stump cover" as the search words, it will show up.

All the best,

Schmetterling

http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/stumpcovers.html

I would think that if you make a crocheted one, you would have to use a very light and soft yarn and a very, very small hook. Have you ever crocheted a slipper. It just about kills the bottom of you feet, they are so uncomfortable.

That's the reason I question making a crochet one. The amputed limb is very tender when it comes to where pressure is applied.

Edited by Autumn

Perhaps a incorporating a scblo stitch done similar to a newborn baby cap that is done in Bev's Crocheted Baby Hat found at: http://www.touchinglittlelives.org/bevhat.html

This will give it ribbing and considerable stretch. I personally like to use a hdcblo stitch when doing a hat like hers because it just seems to be softer. However, the scblo stitch has more give than the hdcblo in my opinion. Hope this helps.

On 8/29/2008 at 8:32 PM, notwprintcess said:

Has anyone made or seen a pattern for this? I can't seem to find one on my own that is done in CROCHET :crocheting Thank you!!!

Ravelry has a free pattern which can be done in different sizes.