Empire Waist Tunic Now Available at Caron Yarns!

crochetkim

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you to everyone for your kind words about this new design! :c9

Yes, this project is definitely challenging. I wouldn't want to work on it if I were watching "24", for instance.

It's almost totally single crochet, worked in different ways to produce different looks. If anyone is concerned about whether they would be able to work on a garment, the bodice is a good practice piece. Try just stitching the back, in the smallest size for practice. It is only front loop single crochet, worked vertically. If you're able to reach the measurements and shape of the schematic, you should be able to do most clothing designs available.

Kim

Kim, I want to make this top, too, but I've been thinking of doing it in Caron's new Spa yarn. (Which I can't even get yet locally, but that's another story!)

Do you know whether Spa might be compatible enough to work with this pattern if I experiment with my hook size if necessary to get gauge?

Kim, I want to make this top, too, but I've been thinking of doing it in Caron's new Spa yarn. (Which I can't even get yet locally, but that's another story!)

Do you know whether Spa might be compatible enough to work with this pattern if I experiment with my hook size if necessary to get gauge?

I haven't tried it yet, but I wanted to make one for myself in Spa yarn as well. The skirting, worked in Simply Soft, since it's so long, is pretty heavy. Definitely a warm sweater. But, the Spa is light as a feather. If I had the chance right now, I would be trying it out immediately because I think it would make a terrific substitute.

I haven't tried it yet, but I wanted to make one for myself in Spa yarn as well. The skirting, worked in Simply Soft, since it's so long, is pretty heavy. Definitely a warm sweater. But, the Spa is light as a feather. If I had the chance right now, I would be trying it out immediately because I think it would make a terrific substitute.

Perfect!!! As soon as my local Hobby Lobby gets their stock of Caron Spa in, I'm definitely heading over to get some then. Spa is more expensive than Simply Soft, but I really prefer yarns with at least some natural fiber for clothing items.

Not to mention, I want some of the Spa to work up a design I came up with all on my own! It will be very interesting to see if I can make it come out to what it looks like in my head and on paper!

If I get too impatient, I'll be heading over to the Caron website and order it with my CGOA member 15% off discount!

Let's do some math because I'm a math geek: $35 CGOA dues - $21.95 value of Crochet! magazine subscription received with CGOA membership = $13.05 left over. If I save 15% on $5.49 Spa yarn, that's a savings of $0.82 per skein. If I buy 16 skeins of yarn, I've saved enough that my whole CGOA dues are paid for. Assuming I was going to subscribe to the magazine and buy that much yarn anyway!

Back on topic: this is a FABULOUS pattern, Kim! I really am going to have to make this one. Plus I want to make your shawl pattern that you designed just FOR the Spa yarn! And just to make you all jealous: Kim personally handed me a copy of that shawl pattern (tear off sheet now available at the stores) at the Chain Link conference! She was handing them out to lots of people (not just to me), so if you'd been there, you too, could have received Kim's pattern straight from her personally!!! :hug

And just to make you all jealous: Kim personally handed me a copy of that shawl pattern (tear off sheet now available at the stores) at the Chain Link conference! She was handing them out to lots of people (not just to me), so if you'd been there, you too, could have received Kim's pattern straight from her personally!!! :hug

Hahahahaha! That was too funny! I was walking up to everyone at the conference (even people I knew) and saying "Hi, I'm Kim Guzman. Do you crochet? Would you like a free crochet pattern?" I was being a complete nut. But, it was fun! :lol

Hahahahaha! That was too funny! I was walking up to everyone at the conference (even people I knew) and saying "Hi, I'm Kim Guzman. Do you crochet? Would you like a free crochet pattern?" I was being a complete nut. But, it was fun! :lol

It was fun! And I practically snatched that pattern right out of Kim's hands!

Here's the link to her Oasis Wrap pattern. I love the different ways they show to wear this wrap. It's very versatile, and I really like the way they show it belted!

this is one I planning to make... saw it on their website the other day.... its a great design and I think it will be easy to modify since I am taller than most.... thank you I can't wait to get started on it:)

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you everyone! I'm glad you like the top. It's definitely one of my favorite designs! :hook

In my Ravelry group, I recently posted about it because of the lantern sleeves. With a lantern sleeve, it starts out at one width at the bicep and goes straight down. It's not so noticeable with the smaller sizes, but gets more noticeable with the larger sizes.

If that look is not the look you especially want, I've posted this information:

I just had another thought. For regular sleeves, instead of lantern sleeves, the larger sizes could follow the stitch pattern in the tunic skirt and work the sleeves horizontally like found in most patterns. So, if you could find a schematic for regular sleeves that you like, you could modify it to use this stitch pattern instead (working down from the top) and adding the trim once you get to the wrist. This would give you a different look, but still using the stitch pattern so it will look like it was originally intended that way.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived