What do you block onto...?

moggy

I was wondering what you all block your doilies onto? :think

I have been using a round cake board (the sort that is about 12mm deep, covered in silver paper) as it is easy to get the pins into and I have scored circles onto it to get the symmetry right...

What do all of you use? I don't think that the ironing method would work for me as I like to see the whole thing laid out and then fiddle to get it just right for my annoying perfectionist brain - I think I'd end up in casualty with burnt fingers!!

Happy creating! :hook

I use a paper covered foam board they sell at Michaels, it's 20"x30", about 1/2" thick. I cover it with plastic wrap; I've made paper templates with concentric circles, lines marking various angles etc. which I slip under the plastic wrap as a guide to align my doilies.

• 4 weeks later...

My grandmother used to have this square the had pins sticking out on all sides. You stretched the doily out on it and it dried just beautifully. Wonder what happened to that gizmo:think

It a thick sheet of foam that i block onto for anything small that i crochet. I got the foam from work. The hospial OR that i used to work at has 'custom' laparoscopic cholescystectomy (bandaid gallbladder surgery) tray that have the instrument ports in them. I saved the foam trays for that (they are clean, and i'm telling ya, they're great lol)

My grandmother used to have this square the had pins sticking out on all sides. You stretched the doily out on it and it dried just beautifully. Wonder what happened to that gizmo:think

Is it possible it was home made?

For big pieces like afghans, I use the vinyl top of my spa that is foam insulated and stainless steel quilt pins.

I also made with a 24"X24" piece of 1/4 " plywood that I glued 4 squares of thin corkboard to. I purchased the package of corkboard squares at Wal-Mart in the office/stationary dept. They are glued on with wood glue and it works great for doilies and such. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I use a large bulletin board also and put saran wrap over the top.... but I like the contact paper idea better!

Still working on going to Home Depot to get some board insulation, I forget every time I'm there!

I use the rubber/plastic interlocking mats, the ones meant to give a softer surface if you must stand on concrete. Lowe's had 4 in a package for less than $20. They can be interlocked in many configurations and take pins to hold the stretched crochet piece beautifully.

Archived