fdc in base of prev...

armymom

Question

I'm making my very first sweater.. it definately looks like a first timer but i'm proud that I haven't ripped it apart (yet) although i've been "blessing" it all along with some choice exlamations..

Then POOF.. i hit a block. I've been reading and watching videos on the fdc; got that part down.. but I don't know how to add it to the base of prev stitch and then add more.. ??? this is the pattern excerpt: it's the sleeve

With Green, ch 6 (6, 8, 8).

Row 1:

(WS) Dc in 4th ch from hook, dc in each ch to last ch,

3 dc in last ch, turn—6 (6, 8, 8) dc.

Row 2:

Ch 3 (counts as first dc here and throughout), 2 dc in

first ch, dc in each dc across, fdc in base of prev dc, make 4

more fdc, turn—13 (13, 15, 15) dc.

Row 3:

Ch 7, dc in 4th ch from hook and in each ch and dc

across, turn—18 (18, 20, 20) dc.

Row 4:

Ch 3, sk first dc, dc in each dc across, fdc in base of prev

dc, make 4 more fdc, turn—23 (23, 25, 25) dc.

Rows 5–6: Rep Rows 3–4 once—33 (33, 35, 35) dc. ,etc, etc

Where exactly on the base of prev dc and how do I add on more fdcs?

:think

I've watched videos, broke each step down, even tried to convince my husband to figure it out and teach me.. no such luck. I'm SOOOooo close to finishing this project and I don't want to make it a vest..

Help.. please~~

cori

20 answers to this question

HURRAY!!!!!!! Thank you EVERYONE for all your help... I re-read everyones descriptions; watched the videos..then I printed off Marika's step by step and I got it!!!!

thank you thank you thank you.

...and now I must go to confession and repent my sins of language. Then again, i have another sleeve to do so maybe I'll just chew on a bar of soap.

=) You all are awesome!!

:yay:cheer

Good job!!

As long as you did not let the left side of your mouth know what the right side was saying, you should be okay :D... (at least you will only have to wash out one side, so the other should be clear for some celebratory chocolate or somesuch :U...)

HURRAY!!!!!!! Thank you EVERYONE for all your help... I re-read everyones descriptions; watched the videos..then I printed off Marika's step by step and I got it!!!!

thank you thank you thank you.

...and now I must go to confession and repent my sins of language. Then again, i have another sleeve to do so maybe I'll just chew on a bar of soap.

=) You all are awesome!!

Row 1:

So, I am assuming you have this done, right?

Row 2:

SO here:

First: The 2 dc in the first ch of the ch3 increase at the beginning of the row.

Second: You put regular dc into tops of dc until you get to the end.

Third: YO, insert your hook exactly where you inserted your hook to start the last dc you made -- THIS is the base of the previous dc-- , *draw up a loop, yo and draw through one loop look carefully at this area - this first loop draw-through space is where you will insert your hook for the NEXT fdc you will have three loops on your hook, yo and draw through 2 loops, yo and draw through final 2 loops** First fdc MADE!!

Now, YO, insert hook in that first loop-draw -through space that you have kept your eye on, and repeat from * to ** (do this 4 times through - so you have a total of 5 fdc made)...

Breathe a sigh of relief and turn that piece of work OVER! :)

My pics of the fdc in action don't focus properly, but if your main problem is where the base of the dc is - it is where you last inserted your hook to make the dc you just finished (basically the top of the turning chain or first dc of the previous row.)

I hope this works for you!

PS - In case it helps you visualise it, the first row is actually the right hand side top corner (as it were) of the sleeve pattern. The sleeve is growing out sideways in one direction, which is actually growing downwards to make the sleeve - the edge where you turn and do not increase will be the top edge of your sleeve...

Row 1:

So, I am assuming you have this done, right?

Row 2:

SO here:

First: The 2 dc in the first ch of the ch3 increase at the beginning of the row.

Second: You put regular dc into tops of dc until you get to the end.

Third: YO, insert your hook exactly where you inserted your hook to start the last dc you made -- THIS is the base of the previous dc-- , *draw up a loop, yo and draw through one loop look carefully at this area - this first loop draw-through space is where you will insert your hook for the NEXT fdc you will have three loops on your hook, yo and draw through 2 loops, yo and draw through final 2 loops** First fdc MADE!!

Now, YO, insert hook in that first loop-draw -through space that you have kept your eye on, and repeat from * to ** (do this 4 times through - so you have a total of 5 fdc made)...

Breathe a sigh of relief and turn that piece of work OVER! :)

My pics of the fdc in action don't focus properly, but if your main problem is where the base of the dc is - it is where you last inserted your hook to make the dc you just finished (basically the top of the turning chain or first dc of the previous row.)

I hope this works for you!

I know exactly what you mean, have felt that exact way....the words just turn into the blah blah blah, wah wah wah. And I do agree, the instructions on the pattern seem like greek to me...and I know how to do it. :P I think the hardest part is where to insert the hook at the bottom of the completed stitch to start the next stitch. In most of the videos I've looked at, I also have a hard time seeing where exactly they are inserting the hook.

It really might be worth the time to practice the extended stitch first---in the extended stitches you make a chain stitch at the bottom of your sc or dc. So then when you do the foundation stitch, you are really making the extended stitch, and going into the chain at the bottom of each extended stitch to make the base of the foundation stitch. That insight was how I finally learned to do it.

It may be hard to believe as you are struggling with it, but this stitch is extremely handy and worth it to add to your repertoire. Good luck!:hook

Thank you.. i'll check that out too. The instructions on the pattern for the fdc were a little mind numbing for an extreme novice. While reading it I felt like the teacher from the Peanuts was giving the instructions. I know once it clicks with me i'll probably re-read the description and think 'oh, that was so obvious'.. just not clicking right now. grrr. I just have the sleeves left!! so close yet so far..

I feel your pain! :yes this stitch was really hard for me to "get", and what I did learn from was Marty Miller's article in the Spring 07 issue of Interweave Crochet. If you can find a copy of that magazine somewhere i highly recommend it. She first teaches the extended sc or dc and then shows how the foundation stitch is just a way of linking the extended stitches. (Hmm, is Marty a member here?) Nexstitch has a good video of extended sc http://www.nexstitch.com/v_extended_sc.html

I have the issue of IC that the men's version of the sweater is in, and I took a quick look but didn't see any special instructions. I did notice there are drawings of the stitch at the bottom of the pdf of the pattern you are using, but on my computer I can't see them very well--maybe if you print that out it would be more legible?

I think the tutorial on Snuffykins site is good, but I can't claim to have learned from it. http://snuffykin.livejournal.com/43642.html It shows foundation sc, but if you learn that, then the dc is easy I think.

Doris Chan's book Everyday Crochet has detailed drawings for doing the sc version, which she calls base chain sc, in case you happen to have access to that book.

Thank you all so much for trying to help me out; this is great as my son, i'm sure, was starting to think my colourful vocabulary was part of the whole crochet process.

One of the problems I've noticed is that I'm having difficulty deciphering which part of the stitch is what so I know where to insert the hook.. and also, I think my "fanning" problem resulted from me interpretting to add 4 more fdcs in the same spot - which resulted in the weird shape..

i'm going to watch that video and also see if I can contact the people who made the pattern..

I'm making my very first sweater.. it definately looks like a first timer but i'm proud that I haven't ripped it apart (yet) although i've been "blessing" it all along with some choice exlamations..

Then POOF.. i hit a block. I've been reading and watching videos on the fdc; got that part down.. but I don't know how to add it to the base of prev stitch and then add more.. ??? this is the pattern excerpt: it's the sleeve

Row 1:

Row 2:

Row 3:

Ch 7, dc in 4th ch from hook and in each ch and dc

across, turn—18 (18, 20, 20) dc.

Row 4:

Ch 3, sk first dc, dc in each dc across, fdc in base of prev

dc, make 4 more fdc, turn—23 (23, 25, 25) dc.

Rows 5–6: Rep Rows 3–4 once—33 (33, 35, 35) dc. ,etc, etc

Where exactly on the base of prev dc and how do I add on more fdcs?

:think

I've watched videos, broke each step down, even tried to convince my husband to figure it out and teach me.. no such luck. I'm SOOOooo close to finishing this project and I don't want to make it a vest..

Help.. please~~

cori

If this is foundation double crochet, what you are doing is widening the piece you are working on, so I would assume you are either starting at the cuff end of the sleeve and widening to the shoulder or you are widening the end of the sleeve to make a bell-like sleeve...

Here is a video showing the stitch (my computer was playing up so I couldn't hear her, but the visual was very good):

THe reason you are working into the base of the stitch instead of the top is that with foundation double crochet you are creating your foundation chain AND your double crochet row as well AT THE SAME TIME. If you are still confused, I'll try to work up a sample on your instructions this afternoon (this was posted at 8 AM my time, I have to get ready now and go to my daughter's sports day until 1.30pm or so...).

So, you would yarn over, insert your hook into the base of the stitch indicated (which should be at the end of a row) - try to insert into the chain if it is the first row...

*then pull up a loop, yarn over, pull through FIRST LOOP ONLY, yarn over, pull through 2 loops, yarn over, pull through final 2 loops,* now, for the next fdc:

yarn over and insert your hook into the base of the fdc previous - that little "chain" created by pulling your hook through that first loop and then follow the instructions between * and * above...

(Foundation double crochet is closely related to extended double crochet (edc) - you can also look for instructions for that online, to practice the movement needed - you are just working new stitches into the base of the edc to make a row...)

Cheers :U,

:D Yeah, this *is* mighty confusing. And I just found another stitch that might match other people's descriptions better: double chain stitch, which still doesn't make sense to me with your directions. http://www.robinstokes.com/period_crochet_instructions.htm

Have you tried e-mailing the people who made the pattern to request an explanation? That is one confusing pattern.

http://www.knittingdaily.com/blogs/patterns/archive/2007/11/21/turtle-sweater-crochet.aspx

not sure if this link will work to show sleeve picture.

I guess when I start to add on it just doesn't look right. As mentioned, i've never done the stitch before now and being a more visual person, if I can't picture the process in my head I keep thinking somethings wrong.

I skimmed through the forum on the fdcs. Most I went through were for the starting part..it's the adding on that has me confused.

I'm bound and determined to get this. good thing it's a long weekend. I don't think I have a good excuse to call in sick.. :hook

Hi Cori, welcome to the Ville:hook

Here is a thread that has a bunch of links to tutorials on foundation stitches. http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=81633

When you add the foundation stitches it should form a strip. It shouldn't look like a fan--it might form a fan if you started all the new stitches in the same place. You want to form each new stitch in the base of the previous stitch

Hm... I found this thread on "double foundation chain": http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?p=878413.

I know it's a different name, but it makes more sense for your pattern, except for the details that the pattern refers to the "base", not "back" of the previous dc, and at the end of each row, it says (xx dc) for the number.

*sighs, shakes head, and mutters about poor directions*

Pity there isn't a hi-res picture of that particular piece of the item.

I'm thinking the curvy result of the increase might make it a little smoother to sew up without obvious circumference jumps, though.

yes, it does help. :clap

In the instructions the fdc is shown as a foundation double chain. I wasn't sure if I was doing it correctly as it's the first time attempting it and it looked a little peculiar...like a fan... when I added more.

i'm going to print off your explanation to follow and give this another go..

will let you know how it ends up..:yes

Before trying to follow these directions, check your key to make sure a "fdc" is a "front post double crochet." That's what I know them as, but someone might have a different definition of "fdc."

For post stitches, instead of going into the top loops of the dc of the previous row, you go around the "post" that is the stitch. The "f" means you start on the front of the stitch.

To do a fdc, look at the dc you're to work into. Not the loops on top, but the side of it—the "post" that is its end appearance in a fabric. Now, start at the front of that.

From left to right, put your hook under the post, and pull some yarn back through there. (Yes, it will go over the top of the fabric to do that.) This is your first loop for your dc. Do the rest of the stitch as is normal (grab yarn and pull through 2 loops, then grab yarn to pull through final 2).

Did that make sense?

Now, to do more fdc in the same stitch, you just pull the yarn around the post again in the same way to start it off.

*eyes pattern* Odd directions. I'm thinking those fdc might end up looking a bit like a fan. Depends on what yarn weight and hook size you're using. But post stitches are usually used for imitating the single ribbing in knitting, which is why I ask you to double check your key.

This help at all?

Archived