Calling thunder from down under!

pixi

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought I had replied to this thread months ago - but obviously not. I am in Melbourne as well. Aussie Crochet is also in Victoria.

Alex - there isn't many books by aussies unfortunately. There is a publisher called Paragon books that do a lot of doilies and baby clothes and print patterns by Vicki Moodie. I will put a link in for them. Another good one is Crochet Australia and I think they are linked in with Paragon as well

http://www.crochetaustralia.com.au/index.htm

http://www.craftmoods.com.au/

Hope this helps

Hi fellow Aussies, I am from Stratford, East Gippsland in Victoria, about 2.5 hrs from Melbourne. I think the Moodies actually run/own crochetaustralia. Crocheting is not as popular here as knitting, I actually know very few crocheters, [and certainly no male crocheters], they don't know what they are missing out on!!!

• 5 months later...

Hi all

I live in Tasmania Poatina to be precise (about 40mins down and to the middle from Launceston), though have lived most on my life in Brissy. I have 2 quite spectacularly gorgeous children, and have only recently started crocheting.

love to hear more about everyone.

love Lee

• 3 weeks later...

I am in WA goldfields, about 8hrs from Perth. for now! I think I am going to sell up and move to Rockingham/Madurah/Bunbury or somewhere like that! Kalgoorlie is closest at the moment.

Hi! I am further north in Cairns. I have not been active for a while due to commitments. I am an avid crocheter after taking up this craft again after 20 years break. I am focused on afghan making at the moment and have 3 on the go....I keep being drawn to the wonderful patterns that are available. I have not posted for quite a while but check in now and then to view the beautiful work by the members on this forum.

Another aussie here :) I'm in NSW, about 6 hours north of Sydney.

I'm really enjoying Crochetville - it's introduced me to so many patterns and different stitches that I don't know that I would have found them on my own otherwise.

Only problem I find is I've become so used to reading American patterns, I get a bit confused when I go back to Aussie ones and try to decipher the stitches all over again! :P

Only problem I find is I've become so used to reading American patterns, I get a bit confused when I go back to Aussie ones and try to decipher the stitches all over again! :P

:yay I am soooooo glad I am not the only one who is more "at home" with the US patterns!! Now when I pick up a printed pattern I have to read through it to decide which terms it's in, the very conciously try and remember what the Aussie/UK dc is!! :think

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly I've never checked my UK and American patterns to see where they are from and realise now that there are 2 different types. I thought what my mum and grandma had taught me was wrong when I got a chart of all the stitches because it is in American and I was taught Australian. I have probably done some patterns wrong now!! Drat! Will have to remeber to check in future!!:hook

Woohoo!!! Lawless hails from Bundy too!! I was born in Townsville and moved here just before I turned 7. If there is anyone here from Bundaberg I would really really love to have a buddy to crochet with!!!:hug:manyheart:hook

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, Im Wendy from Adelaide, South Australia. I was taught crochet when i was about 12 but for years I havent really done much.

Busy with other crafts I guess.

Now I am married with 2 girls and have decided to take up crochet again. I found this place last week and its great isnt it.

I am currently working on a giant granny rectangle afghan and its going really well.

Nice to meet you all

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

I'm from the Gosford Area of NSW, about an 1 north of Sydney, but I work in Crows Nest.

My Aunt taught me to do basic crochet when I was about 10, and I've been going along learning as I go since then. I've discovered that a lot of the technique's I've taught myself aren't 'technically' correct, but the result is the same so who cares really.

I have to say I really enjoy this site as well. I haven't found a great deal of crochet material in Australia, and don't know anyone else (aside from my aunt) who crochets, which makes it hard to get advice.

Happy to look at a meet up if someone's organising something!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Add another one to QLD! I live between Brisbane & the Gold coast - and I am up for any crafty nights!!!! (DH happy to babysit once DD is in bed)

• 4 weeks later...

Archived