Crochetville Retreat Apr/June 2009: Potential Informal Classes

Amy

If we are able to schedule a crochet retreat, I think it would be fun if we could have some informal classes throughout the weekend. There are three classrooms available at the hotel that each hold a total of 15 people in a conference room style setting, which would work for a small class.

The problem is, since people want this to be an inexpensive retreat, we wouldn't be able to charge much, if anything, for these classes. So I'm not sure how many people we'd be willing to find to teach the classes.

But let's brainstorm some ideas anyway. If you would possibly attend the potential retreat discussed in this thread (if the dates end up working with your schedule), please answer the following questions:

1. What type of classes would you be interested in taking?
  2. How long should the class be: 1, 2, or 3 hours? (3 hours is standard at large conferences.)
  3. How many classes would you want to take during the 3 full days of the retreat?
  4. Would you be willing to pay for a class? If so, what is the most you would pay for a class taught for a fellow Crochetville member? What is the most you would pay if we managed to snag a nationally known teacher? (3 hour classes are $70 at CGOA, for example, but they have much higher expenses than we do putting on a large conference like that, plus they have nationally known teachers)

If you would be interested in teaching one or more classes, please send me a PM with the following information:

1. Name of classes you'd like to teach
  2. Whether you'd volunteer to teach or how much money you'd want for teaching

Thanks!

Thanks, Mary Ann. I added another question if you feel like answering it to: about how much you'd be willing/able to spend for a class.

I would be willing to pay materials plus $10 an hour for a small attendance class (like 10-15). Same amount for a ville member or a non ville member because our members are the bestest!

Content: hmmm, I am guessing intermediate to advanced classes

Time: I can't sit for more than 2 hours with a break after the first hour

Number of classes: maybe 2 a day

Are you interested in non crochet related classes too, such as "knowing how your senses can work for or against you" ? Or sort of crochet related classes such as learning styles and incorporating that into teaching crochet. Just curious as I start to think about classes I am qualified to teach!

I would be willing to pay materials plus $10 an hour for a small attendance class (like 10-15). Same amount for a ville member or a non ville member because our members are the bestest!

Content: hmmm, I am guessing intermediate to advanced classes

Time: I can't sit for more than 2 hours with a break after the first hour

Number of classes: maybe 2 a day

Are you interested in non crochet related classes too, such as "knowing how your senses can work for or against you" ? Or sort of crochet related classes such as learning styles and incorporating that into teaching crochet. Just curious as I start to think about classes I am qualified to teach!

I think $10 per hour plus materials is a fair price for a class...but I think 3 hours would be a good length for the class, with breaks scheduled maybe once an hour? I would like to do a color change class, like the one that was offered with the kitty square pattern, I learned about Crochetville too late to be able to participate in it but would really love to learn how to do it. I also would like to learn the afghan stitch (tunstion? I know I spelled that wrong) I would be willing to sign up for 2 classes a day.

Also I was wondering if there would be anyway to schedule a tour of Nashville as a group. I know some of the tour companies here offer discounts for larger groups, maybe they do the same thing there? Kind of put together an " act like a tourist" day. Where whoever would like could get together or maybe we could all go as a group and tour the different attractions....maybe we could find some historical places that has free admission or other places that have free to low admission prices?

Another idea I had is maybe the group could find a local park that has outdoor grilling facilities (most of the time these are free) and everyone chip in for groceries and supplies (say about $5 per person? and we have a picnic lunch on the last full day (Sunday??if we left on a Monday)

Also I love the idea of an unofficial LYS crawl and goody bags...I love surprises.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree that $10 per hour plus the cost of materials would be a good price for the cost of a class. I would like to take a class on crochet with beads, possible with wire. Would also like to learn to do something with an EdgerYdoo; I have seen it advertised, but never tried it. Not sure what other classes might be added, but will probably be up for a lot of them; I don't have anyone around where I live who crochets so I am excited about learning lots of new things.

Here's what I would like to see: a spinning and dying series. The first day, do a class on spinning from the fiber just harvested (carding, I think is what needs to be done first). That class I would have an option to pay $30 w/o materials (so that people could bring their own) OR $50 w/ materials (for people who don't want to find their own fiber first). Then the next day, a class on dying the spun yarn. Again, something like $30 w/o materials, $40 with just the dye, and $50 with all materials. Prices manipulated to reflect reasonable cost, of course. :hook

Spinning would very likely be doable. There's even a good fiber company here in town with me, just a few miles up the street from my house: Little Barn. And if we can convince CrochetRenee to come, she can teach us how to spin! I could probably even convince some of our local spinning guild to come along for the event, so we could have more teachers.

Dyeing, I'm not so sure about. I don't know how feasible that would be in a hotel setting. Anybody who's done it before have any ideas?

Spinning would very likely be doable. There's even a good fiber company here in town with me, just a few miles up the street from my house: Little Barn. And if we can convince CrochetRenee to come, she can teach us how to spin! I could probably even convince some of our local spinning guild to come along for the event, so we could have more teachers.

Dyeing, I'm not so sure about. I don't know how feasible that would be in a hotel setting. Anybody who's done it before have any ideas?

This sounds like fun. I haven't had any experience with spinning or dyeing yarn so this would be something completely new for me. I know that using dye for t-shirts is very messy. I usually do it outside with the water hose and a couple of very large round plastic buckets in the grass so I don't dye my sidewalk all different colors :lol .....not sure how it to do this in a hotel without making a big mess? :think Will have to think about that one. What if we found a room that had a sink and we put painter's tarps down on the floor?? Would that help?

This sounds like fun. I haven't had any experience with spinning or dyeing yarn so this would be something completely new for me. I know that using dye for t-shirts is very messy. I usually do it outside with the water hose and a couple of very large round plastic buckets in the grass so I don't dye my sidewalk all different colors :lol .....not sure how it to do this in a hotel without making a big mess? :think Will have to think about that one. What if we found a room that had a sink and we put painter's tarps down on the floor?? Would that help?

I don't think I'd want to run the risk of doing the dyeing inside at all. Crochetville would have to bear the liability if we had any spills and damaged/stained carpet or furnishings.

Maybe a local dyer would host the dyeing class? Just a thought!

I KNOW it's a CROCHET retreat, but what about a beginning knitter's class? I can't figure it out! :lol

That would be fine with me. I could teach beginning knitting (how to cast on, knit, purl, a basic increase and decrease) or sock knitting, but that's about the limit of my real knitting experience.

That would be fine with me. I could teach beginning knitting (how to cast on, knit, purl, a basic increase and decrease) or sock knitting, but that's about the limit of my real knitting experience.

That's about what I was thinking; awesome! :yay

Ooohhh!!! Spinning! I just got goosebumps! I've been wanting to learn how. I have a drop spindle still in the package.

I think dyeing would be very messy. I think it involves boiling water and chemicals. But I've heard of Kool-Aid dye...

I could probably teach or at least assist a beginner knitting class.

Spinning would be doable with cd spindles...I am teaching such a class at my LYS next month. As for the dyeing, it is best to do it outside. Then you have to consider, do you want to do natural dyes vs. commercial dyes....certain pieces of equipment have to be handy. If we were to kettle dye, we would need a propane burner (which I have), but if we were to "paint" yarn, a microwave is often better, though we COULD use a steamer basket in the kettle to steam set the color. Lots of possibilities here!

Here's what I would like to see: a spinning and dying series. The first day, do a class on spinning from the fiber just harvested (carding, I think is what needs to be done first). That class I would have an option to pay $30 w/o materials (so that people could bring their own) OR $50 w/ materials (for people who don't want to find their own fiber first). Then the next day, a class on dying the spun yarn. Again, something like $30 w/o materials, $40 with just the dye, and $50 with all materials. Prices manipulated to reflect reasonable cost, of course. :hook

OMG I would absolutely LOVE to do a class like this! I've been very interested in both, but have'nt taken the steps to learn. This would be the perfect opportunity.

As for how many classes... I don't think I could sit still for more than one 3 hour class per day, but a couple of options would be nice. :) And the $10 an hour plus materials that was previously suggested sounds reasonable. I've never taken a crochet class so I really don't know what is typically charged.

As I said on the other thread, I would love to come but of course it depends on the dates.

Now that I read that there is a chance to learn a bit about spinning I REALLY want to come. Funny - - - I have been on line looking at spinning and spinning wheels lately. I would love some guidance and some hands on. A class on spinning sounds like the ticket for me.

One other thought - - I don't mind teaching for free, but we all know how to crochet, or at least the members who would attend this weekend would all probably already be devoted crocheters.

Just IMHO

One other thought - - I don't mind teaching for free, but we all know how to crochet, or at least the members who would attend this weekend would all probably already be devoted crocheters.

Just IMHO

True.

However... No matter how experienced the crocheter is, I'm sure there is at least one technique they haven't tried or they may need a little more detailed practice with... I've been crocheting for over 30 years. I wouldn't have thought there was a class I would take until someone suggested a spinning & dyeing class. I've tie dyed fabric, but have never tried dyeing yarn. I think it would be cool to learn different dyeing methods first hand. Yes, I can search the web... but that doesn't give me the opportunity to ask specific questions or to see clearly what the teacher is doing...

JMHO :)

True.

However... No matter how experienced the crocheter is, I'm sure there is at least one technique they haven't tried or they may need a little more detailed practice with... I've been crocheting for over 30 years. I wouldn't have thought there was a class I would take until someone suggested a spinning & dyeing class. I've tie dyed fabric, but have never tried dyeing yarn. I think it would be cool to learn different dyeing methods first hand. Yes, I can search the web... but that doesn't give me the opportunity to ask specific questions or to see clearly what the teacher is doing...

JMHO :)

'Xactly. For example, I can crochet just about anything with a standard hook. But give me an afghan stitch or broomstick lace pattern, and I am LOST! :lol

Couple more ideas:

1. Afghan stitch beginners'

2. Broomstick lace beginners'

So......am I hearing that there are enough people interested in spinning and dyeing that I might be able to teach a class? What fun! There are many different ways to go on the dyeing....multi-colored, Kool-Aid, natural dyes, commercial dyes, kettle dyeing, dyeing self-striping yarns...the list goes on and on! :cheer

Archived