doily pattern for a first timer

ibinitch

Question

5 answers to this question

A good starter project to get used to thread would be a bookmark, there are lots of them at crochetpatterncentral.com.

The doily patterns here are well written and not too complicated, and most are fairly small so would be less intimidating

http://pandacrochet.8m.com/patterns.html

There are some at freepatterns.com marked easy or beginner.

Be careful if you find some vintage patterns, they are sometimes written differently than we're used to and can be challenging for a beginner.

Welcome to thread!

Here is a particular pattern that is great for beginners as it has step-by-steps:

Crochet-Along

i've never made a doily or made anything with thread so i'm looking for a pattern for a beginner, anyone have one they recommend?

Size 10 thread and a #7 (1.65mm) steel hook are pretty typically used for 'modern' patterns. If a doily pattern calls out for smaller thread (20, 30, 50) it's no problem, the doily will just be a little bigger. I would choose a light color, it's easier to see the stitches.

Can't wait to see your doily in show and tell!!

Edit - I said that without looking at the pattern, she calls for an 8 hook, which is smaller. I have used anywhere from a 5 to a 9 hook with size 10 cotton for doilies, it all works. Typically if a pattern says 'crochet cotton' or 'bedspread cotton', size 10 will fill the bill.

Roughly, a 9-12 hook is used for size 20 cotton, 12 and up hook for size 30, but there's some overlap...that's another way to estimate the thread size called out by the pattern if it doesn't say, or you can't figure it out (some vintage patterns will call out some long-gone brand names "Acme, article 47") so you can make an educated guess. :hook

Archived