Beading Question

goodtaste

I've been doing bead crochet lately, it is coming out really nice, I'm using glass beads and it makes the crochet somewhat heavy but is so beautiful I hope it will not matter.

My question is, I only know how to bead using sc, can a person bead in hdc?

Thank you very much for any tips you might want to share.;)

Cloty

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Well beads can be primitive, glitzy or rustic, delicate or bold. They come in a wide selection of materials whose properties differ. Wood beads are usually matte and light weight, so make sure that bead fit in same side out.

• 4 months later...

i am currently crocheting a shawl for my oldest daughter. i am doing it in a half granny stitch and am putting glass seed beads in the middle of each shell stitch(dc). its comming out beautiful. as soon as i finish it i will take a pix and post it. its my first time trying it and i had to use my imagination on how to change colors and get the beads on without cutting yarn or sewing beads. kinda proud of myself! :)

i had to use my imagination on how to change colors and get the beads on without cutting yarn or sewing beads. kinda proud of myself! :)

Hi Bossiegirl2, there are several ways to put the beads on.

1.***I like putting all my beads on the yarn or thread first before I start to crochet***. But I have to do a little extra planning on how you want the beads to lay in--patterns * colors, that is how you also want the beads to go on. If your crocheting with small beads and you string them all on first, less likely you will loose your beads during your project.

2.For beads that are a little bigger...You can put them on as you go by inserting a smaller crochet hook thru the bead and pull the yarn or thread thru the bead and put the smaller crochet hook down-put the loop back on your regular crocheting hook and crochet as usual.This will not work with 2mm and some 3 mm beads. The beads are just to small.

3. sew them on, takes alot more time. Most beginners do this as they have no idea of the other ways, it does work. You will have to tie knots at both ends for the bead to stay on, that is alot of work when your working with 10+ more beads or hundred of beads.

I love crocheting with beads using the #1 first method. I love stringing all the beads on first.

I am going to try and put a Doily picture here I crocheted for my my husband parents back in Christmas of 2007. I do crochet with beads so you can see how I put the beads on by colors and or patterns.

Also here is the link to my flicker page.

CHRISTMAS DOILY for BEN -BARB 057

Hope this explains it well.

sunnywolfgar

post-1457-135897583846_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Have you tried U tube, and search how to put beads on crochet work or something like that.... I've been crocheting with beads for ages since my teens, but until I learned the computer thing back in 1999, I saw the widest selection of all kind of beads and my mind went crazy.. I love shopping for beads on the internet. Depending on the look you want it may take you days to find the right look in beads.

I've crocheted with beads to make bracelets. I used Paton's Grace yarn with size 6 glass beads. I did sc's about 6 stitches wide, adding a bead to each front side stitch until I had about 7 inches long. Then I did a chain loop to one end, and a button to the other end. Really pretty, I'll have to take pictures. They don't take very long to make.

Archived