Seeking: Dbl Heart W/Flowers Doily

ReniC

Question

• Answers 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry folks I would never even try to do that. I have enough ideas of my own that I don't need or want to try duplicating someone elses ideas. It wouldn't be mine and not only would it be a copyright infringement. I wouldn't feel good about it. I may admire someone else work, but I never try to duplicate it.

To be honest. If it was one of mine I would be upset if someone tried to duplicate it.

That is a beautiful pattern. I wold like it also if anyone ever finds out about it.

How about Kathy putting her spin on it? I know she could do it justice.

Marcia

Wow....so many rules to follow and laws not to break. For that I think I am glad that I am not a designer. I have toyed with the idea of designing but now I'm discouraged.

Question: If one were to design a pattern...even one that is similar, not knowing there is another one out there like it...have they broken a copyright law?

And also, there are so many variations of granny squares...didn't those designers violate copyrights?

I did a search through ebay and even contacted customer support. They searched for the pic you posted on here of the hearts doily. They sent me this link to this doily that is very similar. They also gave ne the sellers id. Maybe you could aske this lady if she would be willing to share her pattern with you. here is the link. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170254467355&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch-completed.ebay.com%3A80%2F170254467355_W0QQcatrefZC5QQdfspZ32QQfclZ3QQfisZ2QQfromZR7QQfrppZ50QQfsooZ2QQfsopZ32QQftsZ2QQnojsprZyQQpfidZ0QQsacatZQ2d1QQsofocusZbs%3FGetResult%26catref%3DC5%26dfsp%3D32%26fcl%3D3%26fis%3D2%26from%3DR7%26frpp%3D50%26fsoo%3D2%26fsop%3D32%26fts%3D2%26nojspr%3Dy%26pfid%3D0%26sacat%3D-1%26sofocus%3Dbs%26guest%3D1%26fvi%3D1

It falls into that gray area, I think. You can't really copyright the idea of 2 hearts joined together with some flowers. Just think of how much trouble Things Remember would get into if you could. Even my wedding picture frame has intertwined hearts.

There is a scanned copy of the pattern out there somewhere. The problem is that C'ville rules will not allow links to scanned copies of copyrighted patterns - even free ones.

If we can find out the name of the designer and which mag it was published in then maybe we would be able to find a source for that pattern that C'ville will allow.

It would be awesome if Leisure Arts picked it up and put it in their catalog!

It would be awesome if Leisure Arts picked it up and put it in their catalog!

I truly believe that Annie's Attic, Leisure Arts, etc. are regular visitors to C'ville. It helps them see what's out there and what people want. I think that's why AA brought back the Cathedral Window afghan and a magazine brought back Mary Card's (Laura Wilder version?) two-bird runner. We were all " ahhing and "oohing" both of those patterns. So maybe ...

I truly believe that Annie's Attic, Leisure Arts, etc. are regular visitors to C'ville. It helps them see what's out there and what people want. I think that's why AA brought back the Cathedral Window afghan and a magazine brought back Mary Card's (Laura Wilder version?) two-bird runner. We were all " ahhing and "oohing" both of those patterns. So maybe ...

Yuppers - you and me both.

It doesn't really matter if it's a good rule or not- we still still have to follow it.

The only problem is that so many people would like access to this pattern but in good conscience (and the rules) we cannot share.

From what I read on the site - and I'm paraphrasing - "I explained the pattern to my Mom and she found it in my Grandma's things" then this is not a pattern that can legally be shared here. :(

Have you tried emailing the person who put it up? I didn't look that deep into the site.

Another pattern that people have this same problem with is the Extra Easy Diamond pattern that yarncat makes. So many people want to pattern but the contract ran out with the publisher so now you have to try to track down the designer who probably has NO IDEA that so many people want to buy her pattern.

Speeking of the emblishments book I Looked at amazon again and I think it has changed in price. One even says $500 That one is just like some of the ones I have for the heart in 3 different leaflets too.

book

Found one on eBay awhile ago but the price is high too.

leaflet

I wonder if the one in the link posted got the idea from this one.

I can't beleive it's been this long since I also asked if anyone knew where this origonal heart wreath or doily pattern came from. I don't really need to know how to make my own etc., as I have done some from the picture very easily, but I still wish I knew where the origonal came from to be sure about the time it was first done etc. I have seen one very close done by Mary Buse Melick, and some others that seem to be out of print also which is very discouraging in trying to find it.

That is a beautiful pattern. I wold like it also if anyone ever finds out about it.

Marcia

Kathy could use this pattern as inspiration to come up with something completely original of her own. Out of respect for copyright laws and for designers in general, our guidelines do not allow members to post patterns which have been created as an attempt to duplicate an existing copyrighted pattern. Also, Kathy would never try to duplicate another designer's pattern and then distribute the new pattern as her own.

Maybe if it is a really old pattern the copywrite has expired and we can make copies? Dorothy can you tell how old the book/page is??

Without the name of the book, there isn't enough information to determine legally whether the copyright has expired or not.

If someone did write a pattern copying the original, and shared the pattern on this forum, it would be against the forum rules. Sorry to be a wet blanket.

it would? Even though it is their own version of something they saw?

Marcia

I was thinking this, too. If anyone could make something similar, it would be Kathy!

Thanks, I made mine after seeing some in the LA books I have, and seeing the one in question. I made a wire frame with flower stem wire, and then sc around it, sc in first sc, ch 3 sk one sc, sc next sc around, next round is v stitches in each loop, and then v stitch in each v stitch, and ending round is chain loops with picots.

That is absolutely gorgeous. Yes, if someone finds the pattern please share with us in the Ville.

ADMIN CLARIFICATION: Please share the source for the pattern, and not copies of the pattern itself.

I came across a few other patterns that are similar to the Flakon af Hjerter pattern that were on out-of-country websites, that were taken from booklets titled "American School of Needlework" and "School of Needlework". Two of the book authors I could see were Ann Kirtley and JoAnn Maxwell. Anything ring a bell with anyone?

I dunno, that photo looks fairly recent...wouldn't you say newer than 1978? (Prior to 1978 the laws were different).

If so, (US) copyright protects it "For individual authors, life of the author plus 70 years. For corporate or anonymous authors, 95 years from publication OR 120 years from creation, whichever is less." (quoted Wikipedia)

So, if it were published in 1978 and the author (heaven forbid) passed away the same year, you'd have to wait another 40 years for it to be out of copyright.

Dorothy here

I do have the Pattern but I give the name of it but I do not have the book that it is in .

It was sent to me by a friend and she got it the way she sent it to me

I am sorry I can not give any more information on it

Vonnie The Pattern I have dose not have a page number on it or the name of the book

Archived